Sign in to follow this  
RBS

Full Medical Insurance for P15k pa

RBS
This is their reply

" Sorry if you are there permanently then we are unable to cover you as if you are a resident there you should have public health care automatically. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Emily Druitt

1 Cover

Oh! So you have public health cover automatically if you are permanently in the Philippines? :welcome:

Try asking them this.

"I am an Australian citizen currently traveling in Asia and am looking to take out a 12-month travel insurance policy with you. If I decide to extend my time traveling in Asia beyond the 12-month policy period, can I renew (buy a new policy) on line without having to return to Australia?"

aussiedon
Oh! So you have public health cover automatically if you are permanently in the Philippines? :lmao:

Try asking them this.

"I am an Australian citizen currently traveling in Asia and am looking to take out a 12-month travel insurance policy with you. If I decide to extend my time traveling in Asia beyond the 12-month policy period, can I renew (buy a new policy) on line without having to return to Australia?"

Well I've asked them like you suggested word for word, I await their reply. Somehow I dont think they wish to sell policies to people like us. At some stage in our lives we would be making a claim where as the amount of claims by the same amount of travelers on short trips would be much less, its not really in their interest to insure someone over a long term.

KeithAngel

Reading the policy this is travel insurance so you for sure can get covered for emergancies but if you needed long term treatment for a developing cronic illness for example repatriation is what would happen it is cool as long as your place of residence is NOT the Fils

RBS
Reading the policy this is travel insurance so you for sure can get covered for emergancies but if you needed long term treatment for a developing cronic illness for example repatriation is what would happen it is cool as long as your place of residence is NOT the Fils

Thank you Keith. You are quite correct. If your doctor and the insurer believe that the best course of action is to return you to Australia (or NZ) for treatment, that will be done. Once your treatment is completed, the insurer will not repatriate you back to the Philippines.

As such, this cover may not be suitable for those who wish to have their medical treatment exclusively in the Philippines.

aussiedon
Thank you Keith. You are quite correct. If your doctor and the insurer believe that the best course of action is to return you to Australia (or NZ) for treatment, that will be done. Once your treatment is completed, the insurer will not repatriate you back to the Philippines.

As such, this cover may not be suitable for those who wish to have their medical treatment exclusively in the Philippines.

Yes their reply was " As you are already overseas we can offer you a medical only cover and yes you can extend it while overseas" Cost is AUD$478.50 for 12 months .

I'm not sure how making a claim works, I guess you have to pay the medical bill before the hospital will release you and then try to get a refund from the insurer.

RBS
Yes their reply was " As you are already overseas we can offer you a medical only cover and yes you can extend it while overseas" Cost is AUD$478.50 for 12 months .

I'm not sure how making a claim works, I guess you have to pay the medical bill before the hospital will release you and then try to get a refund from the insurer.

Thank you Don. Their reply confirms that Australian and New Zealand citizens can get medical cover while residing in the Philippines for about P15k per year.

I claimed last year as a result of a motorcycle crash that had me in hospital for 3 months (Cotabato City followed by Makatri Medical Centre in Manila). Initially I had to pay the ambulance and hospital deposit but as soon as I contacted my insurer, they took over paying all the bills. I later claimed my initial outlays and that claim was settled in full (less the AUD100 excess) within 14 days of receiving my claim.

aussiedon
Thank you Don. Their reply confirms that Australian and New Zealand citizens can get medical cover while residing in the Philippines for about P15k per year.

I claimed last year as a result of a motorcycle crash that had me in hospital for 3 months (Cotabato City followed by Makatri Medical Centre in Manila). Initially I had to pay the ambulance and hospital deposit but as soon as I contacted my insurer, they took over paying all the bills. I later claimed my initial outlays and that claim was settled in full (less the AUD100 excess) within 14 days of receiving my claim.

And that was with 1 Cover?

RBS
And that was with 1 Cover?

Yes. That incident cost 1Cover over P1.5 million. They renewed my policy last November with a 10% discount.

You can read about my hospital experience here.

Edited by RBS

aussiedon
Yes. That incident cost 1Cover over P1.5 million. They renewed my policy last November with a 10% discount.

Well that sure sounds promising. I just sent them my premium AUD$478

I currently have a cover with Blue Cross. and have doubts about them. One guy told me after making a claim with them his premium went up the next year by some ridiculous amount like half a million peso. when he questioned this he was told they have to get their money back , and it had to come directly from him. So as far as Blue Cross goes, you can only make one claim ,then get out.

RBS
Well that sure sounds promising. I just sent them my premium AUD$478

I currently have a cover with Blue Cross. and have doubts about them. One guy told me after making a claim with them his premium went up the next year by some ridiculous amount like half a million peso. when he questioned this he was told they have to get their money back , and it had to come directly from him. So as far as Blue Cross goes, you can only make one claim ,then get out.

Provided you read and understood their policy first, I think you will not be disappointed. I don't know anything about Blue Cross or their premiums. I have been with 1Cover for at least the past five years (including three claims) and have never had any major complaints.

dondon7777

i think it's too expensive...

Edited by Bob Ward
Removed unauthorized link.

RBS

I just looked at Blue Cross in the Philippines. Their medical cover (limited to not more than P3 million in claims per year) is over P50k pa :o

1Cover is unlimited for about P15k pa :)

aussiedon
I just looked at Blue Cross in the Philippines. Their medical cover (limited to not more than P3 million in claims per year) is over P50k pa :o

1Cover is unlimited for about P15k pa :)

Yep, Thats about what I paid and a bit less for my young wife. live and learn. and apparently they are slow to cough up.

RBS

Remember that with 1Cover you have to pay the first AUD100 (about P3,500) of any claim. This means that you are not covered for those incidental visits to the local doctor with a cold or cut finger. However, when including the exorbitant cost of medication with that incidental visit, the claim could get to well over the AUD100 excess payment and so be claimable.

Edited by RBS

aussiedon
Remember that with 1Cover you have to pay the first AUD100 (about P3,500) of any claim. This means that you are not covered for those incidental visits to the local doctor with a cold or cut finger. However, when including the exorbitant cost of medication with that incidental visit, the claim could get to well over the AUD100 excess payment and so be claimable.

Yes I could of paid another $25 which would of got rid of the $100 excess but I didnt bother. They just sent me my Certificate of Insurance. I'm now covered for the next 12 months. Thanks.