Sign in to follow this  
Enuff

My Solar Endeavor

Enuff

I have been reading about and considering solar for years. I'm not too keen on the off-grid systems with countless batteries but did decided to dabble a bit with a grid-tie system.

I purchased my panels and inverter from Lazada for p14,723.1 planning to install myself. A quick glance at the roof and off I was searching for solar contractor. I joined a Facebook group call Solar Cebu and posted an add. 3 different people recommended I call Arin. A quick call and he was out that evening. He quoted me p9,000 all in for mounting brackets, connectors, wiring, plugs, pvc etc. I accepted and he and his helper were here the next morning. They worked almost 7 hrs total. 

Originally I was going to put the panels on top of the dirty kitchen roof, only 10 feet high, but they convinced me to put on top of 2nd story bedroom (25+ feet) over top of the store since it had better direct sun and closer to the panel box. A quick glance up and I said "if you're willing to get up there and work for p9,000, the job is yours"

He estimated my expected return rate at about 9%. Our bill ranges from p4,500 to p5,000. Total costs were p14,723.1 ($289.20 usd) for panels inverter and p9,000 ($176.78 usd) for everything else.

Expected rate on return is between 47 to 53 months, depending on usage and sunlight. I have been monitoring our bills so I should be able to calculate the actual return in a few months.

20170908_160832.jpg

20170908_155456.jpg

20170908_155452.jpg

20170908_162148.png

20170908_162213.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Woolf

I like to hear how much you save on the bill

I noticed in first picture it looks like you have a live male plug, but then again the inverter should shut down the output

if not connected to the grid

Woolf

1 hour ago, Enuff said:

Expected rate on return is between 47 to 53 months, depending on usage and sunlight. I have been monitoring our bills so I should be able to calculate the actual return in a few months.

Is your meter running backwards ?

Enuff
28 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Is your meter running backwards ?

with 3 100w panels,  should it be running backwards.

9% return rate and I wouldn't anticipate it running backwards unless I had about 10+ panels.

A_Simple_Man
9 minutes ago, Enuff said:

I wouldn't anticipate it running backwards unless I had about 10+ panels.

I see 100W panels and a 600W inverter.  Would 10 panels do more than 6 panels would? It does make me want to ask if you plan to get 3 more panels to max the capacity of the inverter?

As for running backwards, I suppose it depends if anything is turned on.  Perhaps if all but the ref is shut down while you went shopping it might run backwards for a bit.  But you would be shopping and unable to see it do so :lol:

• Like 1

Enuff

I will attempt tomorrow 

• Like 1

Paul
58 minutes ago, Enuff said:

with 3 100w panels,  should it be running backwards.

You should verify this. Some meters will continue to run forward, even with power being fed into them from your system.

45 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

It does make me want to ask if you plan to get 3 more panels to max the capacity of the inverter?

As I have stated before, I would not advise doing that. You can purchase another inverter, along with more panels, and basically duplicate the setup. Never overdrive these cheap grid-tie inverters.

• Like 3

Cgu

Have you applied for the VECO net metering?  If not, then you will not meet the 9%, unless it really spins backward...Last time I informed myself, the VECO brochure said that they will change the meter, but who knows...

Last time I checked you need to apply before you are allowed to feed the power into the grid (of course in the Philippines all codes and laws are only suggestions:). 

However, make sure that the power feeds are cut-off once you have power outages - this you have to ensure, otherwise people could get harmed.

• Like 2

Woolf
13 minutes ago, Cgu said:

However, make sure that the power feeds are cut-off once you have power outages - this you have to ensure, otherwise people could get harmed.

Enuff use a grid tie inverter, when it can not sync to the grid frequency it cut the output

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul
3 hours ago, Cgu said:

It detects a signal first, before it will provide power to the mains. If no mains power, it will not engage.

SkyMan
13 hours ago, Enuff said:

I will attempt tomorrow 

Yes, you want to verify that.  Many meters in the RP don't turn backwards and I'm told most that do rotate backwards still turn the dials forward.  I don't know how they get that but I'm not familiar with the internal workings of the meter.  Wait until 1030 or so on a clear day and turn everything off or unplug.  Don't turn the breaker off of course.  If the wheel is turning backwards that's a good sign.  Come back 20 minutes, an hour, whatever, maybe take the family for lunch.  Then see if you've got any production.  You don't want to be paying VECO to take your extra power.

Now, with that said, your production is small so I imagine during the day you're using more than producing so running the meter backwards won't be a problem.  You're just going to slow it down a little.

Just an FYI, your roof faces NE so expect more production before noon, then tapering off.

Edited by SkyMan

SkyMan

I was going to post my solar observances so far in a different thread but this is on topic.  When you use solar with VECO you actually save 2 ways.  Obviously the direct savings but also VECO charges on a sliding scale.  The more you use, the higher your rate.  Before using any solar my use was as much as 430 KWH and my rate for those higher bills was nearly p11.5/KWH while it was p10.6-11/KWH on the smaller bills.  I now have 4 320W panels and NEP 300X2 microinverters.  In August my usage was 90KWH and the rate only p9.92 and my latest bill was for 78KWH and the rate works out to p8.98/KWH.  So not only am I using less from VECO they are charging me less for what I am using.

• Like 1

SkyMan
16 hours ago, Paul said:

Never overdrive these cheap grid-tie inverters.

The key word there is cheap.  Good quality microinverters are meant to be overdriven.  Mine are made by NEP which is a US company with manufacturing in China.  The units are sealed and very robust.  My units are 300X2 meaning 2 complete 300W microinverters in one box connecting to 2 panels.  The recommended panels size for these is 330W, mine are 320W.  By oversizing the panels the unit is able to produce peak power throughout more of the day.

Paul
54 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The key word there is cheap.  Good quality microinverters are meant to be overdriven.  Mine are made by NEP which is a US company with manufacturing in China.  The units are sealed and very robust.  My units are 300X2 meaning 2 complete 300W microinverters in one box connecting to 2 panels.  The recommended panels size for these is 330W, mine are 320W.  By oversizing the panels the unit is able to produce peak power throughout more of the day.

Personally, I would not over panel any inverter. Your car may be able to accelerate to 120 mph. That doesn't mean you should drive at such a speed, especially not all the time.

It is easy to stack grid-tied inverters, simply by plugging additional ones into other receptacles (power points).

shadow

• Like 1