Question about exchanging money..

Richard K
5 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

remember it will cost you 750p at the airport to leave the country

yeah that was kind of for me as well...I'm not sure what that "airport" fee is for anyway?

3 minutes ago, Woolf said:

depends what airport you are leaving from, from manila terminal fee should now be included in ticket price

not so at cebu

or from Clark either..it was 650P last sept when last left...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Travis

• Richard K

• Soarking

• billy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

on another note...about exchanging. Be careful at street type exchange places if you plan to exchange a large amount. I don't know about Cebu but here in AC some have some pretty sketchy looking chara

At most exchanges they give a lower rate for bills lower than fifties.  So if your bringing money over from the US bring fifty and hundred dollar bills only. Also they are very particular about t

I would only bring $100s and they want the new ones with the blue stripe.

Soarking

At most exchanges they give a lower rate for bills lower than fifties.  So if your bringing money over from the US bring fifty and hundred dollar bills only.

Also they are very particular about the condition of the currency they take.   If you have old faded or torn bills they may not exchange them.   I always go to the bank in the US and have them give me nice crisp new hundred dollar bills.

And count your money if front of the exchanger before you leave.   Remember,,,,the hand is quicker than the eye.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

OT... when you are ready to leave, remember it will cost you 750p at the airport to leave the country, so keep  2,000 - + so you have a little bit of taxi money on your return trip (assuming you will visit again) That 750 was a shocker for me the first time, glad I had stashed 1,000 for an emergency. 

Thanks for the informative reply. 

I didnt know about this fee.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Travis said:

And today at my bank in the US it was 51 to one

No, it was...

2 hours ago, Travis said:

they only offered me 44 to one. 

Soarking
1 hour ago, TequilaSunset said:

OT... when you are ready to leave, remember it will cost you 750p at the airport to leave the country, so keep  2,000 - + so you have a little bit of taxi money on your return trip (assuming you will visit again) That 750 was a shocker for me the first time, glad I had stashed 1,000 for an emergency. 

And bring a pen.  I remember having to fill out some form when leaving and they had no pen you could borrow and finding one was a pain in the ass.   

I was shocked the first time I went home after getting my ACR-I card.   Closer to P 5,000.00 to get out of the country.

Just now, Soarking said:

And bring a pen.  I remember having to fill out some form when leaving and they had no pen you could borrow and finding one was a pain in the ass.   

I was shocked the first time I went home after getting my ACR-I card.   Closer to P 5,000.00 to get out of the country.

What is an ACR-I card?

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Soarking said:

Also they are very particular about the condition of the currency they take.   If you have old faded or torn bills they may not exchange them.   I always go to the bank in the US and have them give me nice crisp new hundred dollar bills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, SkyMan said:

I am bringing those.

I have mine folded in half length wise but they are still in good shape. 

When changing money in small amounts go to an exchanger remember it's a business so there are all kinds of rates. Go online that will tell you exact rate. The rate you get will be very close to that rate for example rate 50.10 you'll get 50 in most cases. When changing a large amount $10, 000 dollars and up open a dollar acct here wire dollars from US to your bank here then call a couple outside exchangers when you get best rate he will come to bank and change money. It will be safe then. It's all very easy. 

1 hour ago, Woolf said:

depends what airport you are leaving from, from manila terminal fee should now be included in ticket price

not so at cebu

Not always I just left Manila to Bangkok it wasn't paid I had to pay 550 there was two of us 1100 total

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Ok then why do I hear about the airport being worse than the mall and other places?  And today at my bank in the US it was 51 to one but they only offered me 44 to one. 

So there must be fees. 

U.S. banks charge a fee, I have found that in the Philippines you will get pretty close to the XE rate

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=PHP

1 USD =50.7696PHP

Richard K
1 hour ago, billy said:

Not always I just left Manila to Bangkok it wasn't paid I had to pay 550 there was two of us 1100 total

it depends on where and how you get your ticket I believe...sometimes it is included

• Like 1
Soarking
7 hours ago, Travis said:

Ok then why do I hear about the airport being worse than the mall and other places?  And today at my bank in the US it was 51 to one but they only offered me 44 to one. 

So there must be fees. 

There are totally different rates if they are buying pesos or selling them.   I wouldn't do any exchanging at an American bank.   I would suggest waiting until you get to Cebu and exchange $ 100.00 at the aitport to get you where your going and find a better exchange rate later.

For hotels and larger purchases you can use major credit cards most anywhere.   Just be careful which ones you use.  Some charge fees, some don't.   I use Capital One here a lot.   No fees and a decent rate.   Lot safer than cash.

you also want to call your bank and credit card companies to let them know when and where your traveling or you may find they put a hold on your cards first time you use them.

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick
27 minutes ago, Soarking said:

I use Capital One here a lot.   No fees and a decent rate.   Lot safer than cash.

Our choice also. Plus they send you an alert (mine is an Email) when there is a charge. At times they will lock up your card until you approve the questionable purchase.

But exit fees and credit card are really "Off Topic", so I am as guilty as all of you are!

Please get back on the Topic of exchanging money to pesos, Peoples!!!