1st Time Renewal of Vehicle Registration

Hello Everyone,

This will be the first time I renew the registration of my vehicle. After reading the instructions on the LTO site, I hope someone here can clarify the process for me. I have copies of the OR/CR, CoC, and insurance coverage. I need to get the MVIR and CEC. It's the procedure that is a bit unclear to me. Here's what the procedure say:

"Procedure

1. Proceed to the transaction counters and submit all the required documents to the Evaluator for evaluation and computation of fees.

2. Actual inspection of motor vehicles with duly accomplished MVIR.

3. Proceed to the Cashier when your name is called for the necessary fees and obtain an Official Receipt (OR).

4. Proceed to the Releasing Counter when your name is called to obtain the Certificate of Registration (CR), plates, stickers, and other requested documents."

Should I take it then that my first stop is the LTO office THEN go get the MVIR and CEC As step #2 seems to suggest?

I hope someone can guide me based on their experience -- I really don't want to have hire a fixer to get this done. Thanks.

shadow
1 minute ago, AlGae said:

Hello Everyone,

This will be the first time I renew the registration of my vehicle. After reading the instructions on the LTO site, I hope someone here can clarify the process for me. I have copies of the OR/CR, CoC, and insurance coverage. I need to get the MVIR and CEC. It's the procedure that is a bit unclear to me. Here's what the procedure say:

"Procedure

1. Proceed to the transaction counters and submit all the required documents to the Evaluator for evaluation and computation of fees.

2. Actual inspection of motor vehicles with duly accomplished MVIR.

3. Proceed to the Cashier when your name is called for the necessary fees and obtain an Official Receipt (OR).

4. Proceed to the Releasing Counter when your name is called to obtain the Certificate of Registration (CR), plates, stickers, and other requested documents."

Should I take it then that my first stop is the LTO office THEN go get the MVIR and CEC As step #2 seems to suggest?

I hope someone can guide me based on their experience -- I really don't want to have hire a fixer to get this done. Thanks.

I'm not sure of the actual procedure through LTO. The procedure I use is as follows;

I take the vehicle for a smoke test, at any one of two dozen or so in the area, which ever is most convenient at the time. I have them do the smoke test, and get the stencil off the vehicle. I pay the fee and give them extra as needed to process the papers.

I go back 2-3 days later and collect the updated registration.

Game over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
RogerDat

I see you are in Lapu Lapu, at that LTO you go to the place in back on right that zerox your OR, they accept no other, then go to the guard and get a smoke test, and inspection form, get the test done at the other back, left side,  and then pull in line in front for the inspection, and stencil. ( they expect to be paid for the inspection) P 50 or less, then go park and go back inside to pay your insurance, and registration fees.

If your vehicle was reassembled Mindanao (Suzuky) Lapu Lapu will not register it. You must go to your sales dealer and they will do it for about P1000 fee plus the insurance and papers

SkyMan

The title of the thread says renewal but the procedure you posted is from a first time registration since it says....

2 hours ago, AlGae said:

obtain the Certificate of Registration (CR), plates, stickers, and other requested documents."

So since you said renewal I'll assume that's what you want and I suggest you follow Shadow's advice.  Take an extra copy of your OR/CR (and insurance if you have already) to the smoke tester.  Get the smoke test done, tell the trester you also need stencils.  Then tell the guy you want to pay the full registration there.  They take you in their office, calculate the remaining fee (give them the copy of your insurance doc if you already have it).  They'll log you into their book and tell you when to come back to pick it up.  Most likely they won't have a sticker when you go back and the OR will be stamped "No sticker available"  They'll tell you when to go back for the sticker but I never bother, the stamp is fine for me.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies.

Skyman, I bought the vehicle new with a 3 year registration done by the dealer. This will be the first time that I get a renewal.

I think I'll go for what seems the easiest, that is, go get the emission test and ask them to do the rest of the paperwork as both you and Shadow suggested.

• Like 1

I bought a new honda a couple years back in Negros. The first year reg. was paid by the dealer. Went to renew it a year later, all seemed to go well but no sticker, they said come back in a couple months. Went back 3 months later for the sticker and was told that we paid for the renewal too early and we would have to pay for it again. From experience I know all too well that it's pointless to argue with an idiot. Since we had the receipt  for payment we just walked away.

A year later when it was due we went through the process again, paid was handed the new sticker and off we went. Don't expect anything resembling consistency wherever you go in the Philippines...

• Like 1
SkyMan
3 hours ago, bkb1 said:

I bought a new honda a couple years back in Negros. The first year reg. was paid by the dealer.

If it was brand new you should have gotten 3 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
to_dave007

If you DO choose to go to LTO to get it done without a fixer, best to be there when they open up in morning.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

If it was brand new you should have gotten 3 years.

That's kinda what i thought as well. Was out of country at reg. time so the wife dealt with it and was told it was only one year. At least we got the free helmet and shirt. I don't think it will be the last time I get screwed over down there, there seems to be a lot of it going around. But life is about living and learning. The reason we bought the bike in the first place is because 9 out of 10 trike drivers tried to charge extra fares,  some of the ass lickers tried to charge the two of us the going rate for 7! That was my inspiration to have my own transportation. Riding the bike was another experience, to put it mildly, scared shitless the first couple days. Good thing I  have been riding bikes for 45 years and soon i was going down one way streets, riding on sidewalks, driving in the wrong lane and blowing the horn just like all the other morons. The only habit I couldn't break was stopping for pedestrians...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
shadow
5 minutes ago, bkb1 said:

That's kinda what i thought as well. Was out of country at reg. time so the wife dealt with it and was told it was only one year. At least we got the free helmet and shirt. I don't think it will be the last time I get screwed over down there, there seems to be a lot of it going around. But life is about living and learning. The reason we bought the bike in the first place is because 9 out of 10 trike drivers tried to charge extra fares,  some of the ass lickers tried to charge the two of us the going rate for 7! That was my inspiration to have my own transportation. Riding the bike was another experience, to put it mildly, scared shitless the first couple days. Good thing I  have been riding bikes for 45 years and soon i was going down one way streets, riding on sidewalks, driving in the wrong lane and blowing the horn just like all the other morons. The only habit I couldn't break was stopping for pedestrians...

CARS are originally registered for 3 years, motorcycles only one. That may have changed in the last year or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, AlGae said:

Thank you all for your replies.

Skyman, I bought the vehicle new with a 3 year registration done by the dealer. This will be the first time that I get a renewal.

I think I'll go for what seems the easiest, that is, go get the emission test and ask them to do the rest of the paperwork as both you and Shadow suggested.

Yes... or just proceed directly to the insurance shack just behind the smoke test... (behind and to the right)  sit down on the white plastic stool and talk to the nice guy and give him all your paperworks.. and he will make sure your Car gets smoke tested ..make all your photo copies  give him the cash and return to get your  LTO registration  2 or 3 days later..   Ive been seeing the same guy no for 8 years... Its almsot like clock work.      The guy is nice enough....I cant call his name right now but he his helpful and a bit more savvy (educated)  than the guys who man the smoke test.     He knows what he is doing.  

A_Simple_Man
28 minutes ago, bkb1 said:

The only habit I couldn't break was stopping for pedestrians

Just remember.  Female pedestrians will keep walking, so drive behind them.  Male pedestrians will step back so go in front of them.  Confused gender persons are a problem but its ok to run them :bump:  over so long as you can afford to give the family 50K pesos.

2 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Confused gender persons are a problem but its ok to run them :bump:  over

Can't do that, too many of the wife's relatives have that affliction

• Like 1
shadow
29 minutes ago, bkb1 said:

Can't do that, too many of the wife's relatives have that affliction

Then maybe you can get a "bulk discount"?

• Like 2
SkyMan
1 hour ago, bkb1 said:

The only habit I couldn't break was stopping for pedestrians...

That's a good one to keep as the motor driver is always at fault against a pedestrian (including bicycles).

• Thanks 1