michael52

greetings and salutations to all vets. i feel like im on hallowed ground here. i salute you all. im hoping that this could be a valuable and yes...scarry as it seems...practical application for all of us vets to gain access to. i was raised an air force bratt. when pa became an air force recruiter, thats when i decided to go down and enlist in the U S NAVY. call it passive resistance if you will. i like telling that story. i remember a story in the philippine news not so long ago that WWII Filippino vets were seeking some kind of pension from the US for their combat experience/support of OUR troops. so...what happened??? does anyone know? just curious. havent seen Subic since 4-73. looking forward to a visit. heard at one time in the Forums that there were sunken ships to dive on in/around Subic. looking forward to that too...eventhough ive never dived....i can learn. growing up a military bratt is different from other folks...always moving when Dad gets "his orders". usually every 3 yrs. or so. would not have traded it for anything in the world! got to live in germany, travel EU, Alaska, texas, calif., colo., wa., any other military brats onboard???? anyways, after the military, i just hitchiked around the US and ended up working tugs in the deep south. mobile, al. Simms Bro. towing. Miss Louise WZC4692....the real LOVE of my life at the time. worked my way from deckhand to relief Chief Engineer for 2 D379's CATs. Best of all...learned to navigate that tug and make her sing and dance all along the Mobile, Alabama, Tombigbee, and Black Warrior Rivers. we usually pushed a 4 barge tow..coal..ea. barge 35 ft. wide, 75 ft. long. i liked coon assen. its a creole/louisianna term for hookin up through the night with radar and the moonlight off the top of the trees along the banks...no lights...im in heaven. i didnt have a pilots license but learned to move that boat sideways with a smile. ok so the smile may have been illegal...Godspeed all

About a month or so ago the WWII surviving veterans received a lump sum payment of 15,000 dollars to Filipino living in the United States, and 9,000 dollars to those still in the Philippines.

USMC-Retired
About a month or so ago the WWII surviving veterans received a lump sum payment of 15,000 dollars to Filipino living in the United States, and 9,000 dollars to those still in the Philippines.

Spending 20 years in the US Marines I saw alot of the world. I enjoyed the company and comrade of the people. It is hard to explain to a person that did not serve in the military. It is a satisfaction that you get knowing that the person no matter of race, religion or any affiliation would lay their life down to save yours and the people that you serve with. It is a family of brothers and sisters that are adopted.

The first encounter I had with the Philippines was in July and August 1991. I was here providing relief efforts after pinatubo erupted. The devastation was incredible and to witness this first hand was unbelievable. Though through the tragedy of the situation people seemed ok. They seemed to accept and found some joy even though everything they owned was destroyed. I was a young man then and really could not understand this. How could you lose everything and still have a smile on your face. Many years later after a few tragedies of my own I realized what they had found. This is a learned behavior that in the materialistic world of the west seem to loose yet can be found in everyday life here.

I may complain about this or that. I may not like this or that. However knowing what I learned on those days in 1991 I can also smile and find some joy no matter the situation. In 2006 while in Iraq I realized that life had more meaning and how easy it could be taken from one. I decided it was time to retire and not temp fate anymore. Couple of combat tours and enemy fire that missed I have my life and joy. But never forgetting the lesson that was learned in 1991.

So today I live in the place where I once thought people were stupid for the reaction to the tragedy. Yet really I was the stupid one.

Edited by USMC-Retired

I'm trying to join the guard. I also miss being in the Army because to me, it offers a more ethical life than civilian for-profit employment. There is too little respect in the civilian world as well.

But don't mind infringing on others Rights!

Spending 20 years in the US Marines I saw alot of the world. I enjoyed the company and comrade of the people. It is hard to explain to a person that did not serve in the military. It is a satisfaction that you get knowing that the person no matter of race, religion or any affiliation would lay their life down to save yours and the people that you serve with. It is a family of brothers and sisters that are adopted.

The first encounter I had with the Philippines was in July and August 1991. I was here providing relief efforts after pinatubo erupted. The devastation was incredible and to witness this first hand was unbelievable. Though through the tragedy of the situation people seemed ok. They seemed to accept and found some joy even though everything they owned was destroyed. I was a young man then and really could not understand this. How could you lose everything and still have a smile on your face. Many years later after a few tragedies of my own I realized what they had found. This is a learned behavior that in the materialistic world of the west seem to loose yet can be found in everyday life here.

I may complain about this or that. I may not like this or that. However knowing what I learned on those days in 1991 I can also smile and find some joy no matter the situation. In 2006 while in Iraq I realized that life had more meaning and how easy it could be taken from one. I decided it was time to retire and not temp fate anymore. Couple of combat tours and enemy fire that missed I have my life and joy. But never forgetting the lesson that was learned in 1991.

So today I live in the place where I once thought people were stupid for the reaction to the tragedy. Yet really I was the stupid one.

michael52

thanks...glad to hear they at least received something. better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Huck Finn
But don't mind infringing on others Rights!

Ayala, if you have something that's bothering you just spit it out. I can't speak for anyone else but me. I just don't get where you are coming from.

Huck Finn
greetings and salutations to all vets. i feel like im on hallowed ground here. i salute you all. im hoping that this could be a valuable and yes...scarry as it seems...practical application for all of us vets to gain access to. i was raised an air force bratt.

I was a Navy brat so I know the drill. When Pa became a Navy recruiter I joined the Air Force then changed over to the Army. He warned me that it wouldn't be easy. I finally managed to retire but I had to keep telling myself if the old man could do it I could too.

michael52
I was a Navy brat so I know the drill. When Pa became a Navy recruiter I joined the Air Force then changed over to the Army. He warned me that it wouldn't be easy. I finally managed to retire but I had to keep telling myself if the old man could do it I could too.

ill be darned. life is full of surprises. Godspeed dude.

Pedro el Lobo
I'm trying to join the guard. I also miss being in the Army because to me, it offers a more ethical life than civilian for-profit employment.

Your sentiment is one that is shared by many others but just a warning about the guard or reserves. Its a damm hard life, its one thing to be uprooted and moved around when you are full time active but a whole lot harder if you are a contractor or self employed weekend warrior, USERRA does not apply to you. With no guarranteed job to return to, often you have to start over from scratch, add a family to that and there will be many days you question your sanity. In todays military the reserve is expected to be equally trained and prepared to do their part, no matter what funding your unit may or may not receive. And the slap in the face comes when you relize that the benefits are not equal between active and reserve components. Just imagine all the joy of turning up in some of the most hostile spots on the earth, digging in, doing your job and then returning to your home, and you carry on as if nothing much happened. If you are a survivor and tough enough you put in your twenty or so years in and retire but now the fact that you won't pull any pension until you are sixty sets in. Hope you keep in shape.

Dont get me wrong, being a reservist can be rewarding, depending on your disposition and overall employability. But if you can, you may be a lot better off doing your twenty on active duty and getting it over with. Sometimes I wish I had.

USMC-Retired
Ayala, if you have something that's bothering you just spit it out. I can't speak for anyone else but me. I just don't get where you are coming from.

I just figured it was an Anti-military thing. So I just let it go. Because the United States is in the position it is in, is because of the Military enforcing the policies and procedures to the benefit of the citizens of the US. Thus he says up-state New York he benefits from (though may not agree, it is a protected right because of the blood shed by the military) what the military has done past present and future for him.

I just figured it was an Anti-military thing. So I just let it go. Because the United States is in the position it is in, is because of the Military enforcing the policies and procedures to the benefit of the citizens of the US. Thus he says up-state New York he benefits from (though may not agree, it is a protected right because of the blood shed by the military) what the military has done past present and future for him.

USMC-Retired-I read this 3 times and really tried to understand what it means-but I have no idea what this means.It has absolutely nothing to do with any of my prior posts whatsoever.When I wrote infringeing on anothers rights and directing it at you-It was when you started posting two signs at the bottom of everyone of your posts-the first had my IP address and internet providers name and the second sign had-I know you live in the area of rochester NY.After I posted that you don't mind infringeing on anothers rights-you removed the sign that said-I know you live in the area of Rochester NY.Then the next day you changed the IP address and name of my provider to something else.But then you already know this.Frankly its not about the two signs and IP addresses,its mainly about strange button pushing for absolutely no reason.again-your post here that I am replying to-I have no idea what it means and it has no connection to me whatsoever.I will as of now forget this took place and go on from here.Peace

Edited by ayala
Your sentiment is one that is shared by many others but just a warning about the guard or reserves. Its a damm hard life, its one thing to be uprooted and moved around when you are full time active but a whole lot harder if you are a contractor or self employed weekend warrior, USERRA does not apply to you. With no guarranteed job to return to, often you have to start over from scratch, add a family to that and there will be many days you question your sanity. In todays military the reserve is expected to be equally trained and prepared to do their part, no matter what funding your unit may or may not receive. And the slap in the face comes when you relize that the benefits are not equal between active and reserve components. Just imagine all the joy of turning up in some of the most hostile spots on the earth, digging in, doing your job and then returning to your home, and you carry on as if nothing much happened. If you are a survivor and tough enough you put in your twenty or so years in and retire but now the fact that you won't pull any pension until you are sixty sets in. Hope you keep in shape.

Dont get me wrong, being a reservist can be rewarding, depending on your disposition and overall employability. But if you can, you may be a lot better off doing your twenty on active duty and getting it over with. Sometimes I wish I had.

I agree. I'm interested in the guard to get me through college.. as my m gi bill is almost used up, and I need something else. Actually, I'm not even sure if I could get a waiver to join. After I graduate with the 4 year degree, I think I'd consider active Army or Navy...

Mailman
USMC-Retired-I read this 3 times and really tried to understand what it means-but I have no idea what this means.It has absolutely nothing to do with any of my prior posts whatsoever.When I wrote infringeing on anothers rights and directing it at you-It was when you started posting two signs at the bottom of everyone of your posts-the first had my IP address and internet providers name and the second sign had-I know you live in the area of rochester NY.After I posted that you don't mind infringeing on anothers rights-you removed the sign that said-I know you live in the area of Rochester NY.Then the next day you changed the IP address and name of my provider to something else.But then you already know this.Frankly its not about the two signs and IP addresses,its mainly about strange button pushing for absolutely no reason.again-your post here that I am replying to-I have no idea what it means and it has no connection to me whatsoever.I will as of now forget this took place and go on from here.Peace

Heh.

You know that he nor anyone else sees that information, right? Only you are privvy to it. Each and every person who views a webpage embedded with that script sees their information. Its an old interent thing that has been around for awhile and only really serves to remind people that they are not anonymous on the net.

You may read up on it at http://www.danasoft.com/.

eggnoggin

Failure to adapt to civilian life....shorts.... black socks..sandals and sos every saturday morning :D:):lol::lol::lol:

Edited by eggnoggin