Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Murder In The Family - Philippines

Paul
The value of a human life here in the Philippines is roughly P50,000 based on the most recent data :lol:

That, my friend, is a very high estimate. It is closer to 10% of that amount.

MattFromGA

I heard the cost of a life is 100 pesos, a pack of smokes and 2 bullets.

eric56ador
I heard the cost of a life is 100 pesos, a pack of smokes and 2 bullets.

Matt, why were all those posts taken down for "security reasons"?

mikejwoodnz
Matt, why were all those posts taken down for "security reasons"?

If he told you why - he would have to kill you ! :(

Paul

I found a book written by Steven's mother, Margaret Davis, titled For the Love of My Son, that may be purchased through Amazon.

I have also added a link to the book to the original post in this thread.

cdpino

The 'value' of life here in the Philippines seems to be proportional to its financial global rating. How often do we hear about fights, shootings, knifeings and muders that are related to even the most minor of disagreements. Only recently I read a report about a knife attack that happened because of how the other guy 'stared'.

I think it's impractical to go through life worried about certain consequences to your actions but I do think its valuable to be aware of mentalities and behaviours that you might experience here and the depth of the retribution that might be easily offered out.

Its good to see the law working here in this particular case and it would be nice to think the same outcome would have happened if the deceased mum did not 'fight the corner'.

Do not let this story put you off coming to the Philippines; it's a great country with some great people just be informed by articles like this, use your common sense and better judgement.

I don't see how this is any different that urban America. I grew up in urban Detroit, lived in the East East Village in NYC and on the edge of Harlem, on the edge of very bad neighborhoods in New Haven, and live in a burb outside DC. A 17 year old girl in our burb was gunner down by an acquaintance who had stalked her because she was not returning his calls and he thought maybe she had been involved in a robbery from his dope den.

It seems to be that the larger and more general lessons from this story are two. First, it seems like European and American men, growing up in a culture where sex is frowned upon, they confuse sexual acceptance with love and let their defenses drop. This is a long standing theme in Western culture = think of Marlene Dietrich in the Blue Angel or Lulu. I had the good fortune to have a pragmatic Scots Irish mom who also happened to be beautiful and she made a point of helping me learn that beauty was only skin deep. And even then I have burned by cute girls so often.

Second it seems to me that there is a deep, and I believe native (from before the Spanish) deep pragmatism in the culture which has helped families stay alive over eons. Like any core cultural trait, it can become very pathological in some.

My take away from what I have learned so far reading this board is that Western men should truly get to know their loved ones family before making any irrevocable commitments. An interesting irony is that Western men looking for love online in Asian face the same risks that Western woman face when dating online at home.

-Chris

cdpino

We (my Philippine wife) and I saw the original of this on TV. I have noticed over the years a continual fuelling of the "evidence" against the wife on the Internet and can only imagine it serves the interests of those providing it. An area that has not been explained is what Computer business was the husband working in Angeles City and why was he being paid 60,000 pounds sterling salary ? who, I wonder, benefited from the continuity of his original work and the cessation of his salary ? I believe the mother got what she paid for. I do not see justice being served.

spelling edited :-)

That is not a high salary for a competent IT geek. And he was originally hired into Hong Kong. And - had a wealthy person been purchasing his death it would not have been traceable to anyone.

ayala

In Mindinao its 1000P.There's a huge difference between crime in the usa and the philippines.yes crime exists in both places but just read some of the paranoia displayed in many of the posts here and in other threads.And yes,it is paranoia.

The value of a human life here in the Philippines is roughly P50,000 based on the most recent data tongue.gif

smokey

In Mindinao its 1000P.There's a huge difference between crime in the usa and the philippines.yes crime exists in both places but just read some of the paranoia displayed in many of the posts here and in other threads.And yes,it is paranoia.

so you get a lot of crime in upstate new york ? and your right there are big differences in crime in the US to crime here seems in the US its always about the money here its about being insulted

Doc Smith

A minor amount of background checking and you can see that the son Steve was involved in the web cam p*orn business. His supposed business partner was able to keep the p*orn business alive thanks to Steve finishing up the port site and getting everything in order. Who knows what really went down, but it sure was nice that the mother could make a tv show and write a book about the whole experience. I wonder if she even came out ahead when you add up the amount spent to "prosecute the wife" versus profits made from:

a. The interviews for the TV show, including live footage of the wife crying about how she didnt do it.

b. The book, now selling on Amazon

c. The numerous interviews on the various Oprah type shows.

d. The UK governments payout to help support the grandchildren.

Never mind the insane amount of profits still being earned from the still active web cam business that Steve started.

smokey

A minor amount of background checking and you can see that the son Steve was involved in the web cam p*orn business. His supposed business partner was able to keep the p*orn business alive thanks to Steve finishing up the port site and getting everything in order. Who knows what really went down, but it sure was nice that the mother could make a tv show and write a book about the whole experience. I wonder if she even came out ahead when you add up the amount spent to "prosecute the wife" versus profits made from:

a. The interviews for the TV show, including live footage of the wife crying about how she didnt do it.

b. The book, now selling on Amazon

c. The numerous interviews on the various Oprah type shows.

d. The UK governments payout to help support the grandchildren.

Never mind the insane amount of profits still being earned from the still active web cam business that Steve started.

sometimes when someone kills one of your children you just have to bite the bullet and pay.. as to the wife crying how often do killers usually say hey i did it.. This is the ONLY crime solved i have seen where a foreigner was killed for profit

Jack_be_nimble

Thanks Paul, for taking the time to post the videos.

Paul

No worries. That is what my sites are about... both the good and bad in the Philippines.

Cary

Wow Paul that was really good and eye-openng. I can only hope that the children growup well and have good memories of their father. As for the wife, I think she is as guilty as sin and got what she deserves.

smokey

nothing justifies the conspiracy to murder this guy. What's good about it is that the killer got caught and punished, and it's sobering that the only reason that happened is that the victim had family members willing to expend time, money and effort at solving it. Evelyn was a bit unlucky in that most guys that hook up with pinays aren't young like him but older guys, quite often total deadbeats with little in the way of the family support that Steve had. Exactly the same thing happens in Thailand as the Philippines. I can point you to several murder cases there where only intervention by the family and/or the use of a Private Investigator brought murderers to justice. If that outside help hadn't have come into play, the murderers would still be free. The police aren't interested.

most of these conspirators get away with it, and they get what they want. That's a dead guy and a pot of money.

that is correct remember the guy and wife walking on the road in miginla when the x fired into the husband but nothing to the wife who later said she did not know who the guy was...?? solved .. sure but the wintness who ID the x left town ... go figure so now the wife and her x can live happy ever after on the guys money... fight evil with evil ,, my wife and i agreed if someone kidnaps her or me DONT pay a ransom but use the money to kill them all ...

• Like 1