Sign in to follow this  
lamoe

I said / she said the same thing just differently

lamoe

After traveling across America and long business trips to Europe  aware how the same word / same language can be spoken in a way as to be unintelligible to the listener. 

The flat Mid-Western accent is purported to be the easiest to understand - hence TV  news  people are actually schooled in it. (US only :D)

Germany - Ramada = Rahm A Da - me  Rah Ma Da

She has a very soft, sweet voice but like my daughter is a true motor mouth  - speaks not  mile a minute   more like  mile a second.

Noticed she doesn't emphasis the consonants as hard as  I do, hence her pronunciation is much softer. Being partly frequency deaf doesn't help. I heard her words as sounds.

She has learned to start out by saying "My love" to get my attention that she's about to say something else.

Any words to add?

Word                her                me (I am trying to remember to pronounce native words as she does)

Carbon           Car Bone      Car bin - as in the atom

Message       Me sage        Mess edge

Liloan            Lie Lo Ann     Lie Loan

Taboan         Ta boo  juan  Ta bone

angbumabasa

Welcome to the club. And this, for me, is after she lived and worked 14 years in the States, and a marriage of 20+ years. I've finally decided that I'm the problem.  :-):-):-)

• Haha 4

Enuff

Last nightme and wife had a discussion.  

I asked for the slotted spoon, sorry we don't have one.

I asked again for the spoon with holes, sorry dear don't have one.

Me being the individual who bought the slotted spoon went and retrieved it.

I then told her she can get a job at any store.

I said if you don't know what I mean just ask instead of saying no stock sir.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

SkyMan
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Word                her                me (I am trying to remember to pronounce native words as she does)

Carbon           Car Bone      Car bin - as in the atom

Message       Me sage        Mess edge

Liloan            Lie Lo Ann     Lie Loan

Taboan         Ta boo  juan  Ta bone

Except for massage this is proper Cebuano pronunciation.  In fact if you listen closely, Carbon is probably closer to Car boon.  Liloan is often hyphenated Lilo-an and the an is accented On.  Lee lo On.  I imagine that's the case also with Taboan.  Try pronouncing Consolacion and see if she doesn't laugh.

Moved this to the Cebuano forum.

For vowels:

A  ->  short O as in Oscar

E -> short E as in Egg

I -> Long E as in East

O and U are interchangeable and pronounced as in double OO

There are few diphthongs.

AU -> OW as in Now.

AY -> Long I as in Item

Double L is like the Spanish and some names have the Spanish n with the tilde.

There are no silent letters and few syllable patterns (VC, CV, and CVC are it I think).

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Woolf

Lilo-an

HISTORY

Long before other towns were “discovered” as tourist spots, Liloan was already known for its scenic pristine beaches and as a resort town, favorite place for sea bathing. Along its coastline, there is spot called Silot. Here, bathers are cautioned not to swim to a certain point because of a whirlpool caused by the ebb and tide of the waters which flow from an inland lake. This phenomenon is called lilo in Cebuano. Because of this, the town was known as Liloan, a place where there is lilo.

The word Liloan, as the legend is told, comes from the word “lilo” - whirling waters (not unlike Edgar Allan Poe’s maelstrom) that form when the sea approaches an abrupt depth at a point just after a bridge.

Long ago, as the legend goes, when Lilo-an was still a wilderness, a marriage of a couple was objected to by the parents. As such, they boarded a boat and fled to a far away place. Somewhere at sea, a storm overtook them. For safety, they entered a channel, now called “Suba,” (a name of a place in Liloan) and proceeded into the interior. They took shelter at its bank and noticed the abundance of the fish in the vicinity. They decided to stay, and with the extra fish they caught, they sold or bartered the catch in the nearby villages. When asked where the fishes were caught, the answered, “Sa may liloan” (by the lilo). Asked where they live, they gave the same answer, :Sa may liloan.” In time, the place was called, as we know the town now, “Liloan”.

http://cebu-philippine-wonders.blogspot.dk/2011/08/history-of-lilo-cebu.html

• Like 1

Jawny

I always believed it was useful to learn to pronounce words, English or otherwise, in the fashion of the locals.  I recall telling a German woman a story about a duck that had been accidentally killed when a bale of hay fell on it.  As I told her the story, in English, she seems very upset when I went on to say that the farmer then ate the duck.  She was quite disturbed .  What I came to learn later was how she pronounced her "g" when at the end of a word.  It becomes a "k" sound.  So, she thought the farmer had eaten his dog.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

The word Liloan, as the legend is told, comes from the word “lilo” - whirling waters (not unlike Edgar Allan Poe’s maelstrom) that form when the sea approaches an abrupt depth at a point just after a bridge.

The main cause of the Lilos is the fact that Silot Bay is a large tide pool so as the tides change the water ebbs and flows at the mouth where the bridge is.  This not only caused Lilos but a lot of flooding in the past until the sides were concreted and the bridge built.  Both caused some loss of life.  When you drive through that area you see the floors of many of the shops along the road are 4 feet or more below the road surface.  Of course, you can't drive through there now as the road has been closed quite some time while they've been rebuilding the bridge.