Sign in to follow this  
Flakes

How good is ur Visaya or Tagalog?

oztony
12 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Hmmm well lets say i go to a language school in Cebu then what will the teacher teach the foreigners ? Tagalog or Visaya?

Whatever you want to damn well learn , if you are going to hang out in Luzon , learn Tagalog.

If you are planning on staying in the Visaya's you would be foolish not to learn Cebuano, I mean really , is it that difficult for you to get a grasp on this ......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Flakes
13 minutes ago, oztony said:

That was answered ...Both of the main used languages Tagalog and Bisaya/Cebuano

In the Visaya's children are taught Bisaya , Tagalog and English on Luzon they are taught Tagalog and English,

As has been suggested if you plan on locating yourself in the Visaya's it would be far more beneficial to learn Cebuano "murag wala gyud ka kasabot"

And yes my Bisaya sucks , but if no one can speak English I can scrape by....how about you????

Look its a bit tricky picture ur self in Barcelona and u want to learn the language now which one would u select Spanish or Catelan? Both are official languages but outside the north of spain Catalan is useless so i would choose for Spanish. If i learn Tagolog i get by all parts of phills while Visayas only usefull in Cebu.

oztony
26 minutes ago, Flakes said:

If i learn Tagolog i get by all parts of phills 

That is true ....but unless you were spending most of your time in Luzon it would not be as beneficial as learning Bisaya , 

26 minutes ago, Flakes said:

while Visayas only usefull in Cebu.

Not so , it covers a vast area other than Cebu

zxzxzzzzz.PNG

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1

bernadette

I am a Filipino, we speak 2 dialect at home Tagalog and Bisaya(papa is from Luzon, Batangueño from Batangas  while mom is from Mindanao bt grow up here in Cebu) but I am so much comfortable with BISAYA specially when I am really pissed with someone, I dunno bt I really feel good saying "giatay man diay ka pestiha ka" rather than "putang ina mo"...ooops! sorry for that word!  

• Like 3

Jawny

Even though Tagalog is taught in my area, it is not commonly spoken. English is a better choice as a language understood by many. My children struggle each year to get a passing grade in Tagalog.

even speaking Tagalog in my area can be an issue if you go to a Waray region.  Then, even if a visayan speaker tries to use the "common" language of Tagalog, both speakers can have a hard time being understood because of their respective accents.   

Keep in mind, as you learn the language, you also have to listen to it.  Meaning, some things are better not heard (understood). 

Its amusing to witness people cursing in English, and not getting upset.  But, once a "bad word" is spoken in the dialect, look out!

Salty Dog
14 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Even though Tagalog is taught in my area, it is not commonly spoken. English is a better choice as a language understood by many. My children struggle each year to get a passing grade in Tagalog.

even speaking Tagalog in my area can be an issue if you go to a Waray region.  Then, even if a visayan speaker tries to use the "common" language of Tagalog, both speakers can have a hard time being understood because of their respective accents.   

Keep in mind, as you learn the language, you also have to listen to it.  Meaning, some things are better not heard (understood). 

Its amusing to witness people cursing in English, and not getting upset.  But, once a "bad word" is spoken in the dialect, look out!

I've been to areas where hardly anyone could speak English. They spoke their local language and when they wanted to converse with someone who didn't speak their language, they spoke Tagalog.

Whatever the first language is, it's a pretty good bet that their second language probably isn't one of the many languages spoken in the Philippines other than Tagalog.

Tagalog is not my wife's first language. When we traveled around the country, she conversed in Tagalog with everyone though. Same here in the USA. Most of the Filipinos we meet are from Mindanao. They usually talk to each other in Tagalog other than English. 

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
12 hours ago, Flakes said:

If i learn Tagolog i get by all parts of phills while Visayas only usefull in Cebu.

You can get by in English in the whole of the Philippines.

I have friends who have been married since 2006. She from Leyte, he from northern Luzon. They were complaining to me a few weeks ago that in all that time, they still struggle to understand each other when speaking Tagalog.

I am back in Australia now. Where I work there are 3 Filipinos. One from Southern Luzon, one from Northern Luzon. One from Cebu. They will mostly talk to each other in English as they can't understand each other speaking in Tagalog.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TequilaSunset
Maayong buntag! 

Ako, si Bruce, ganahan ko sa pilipinas.

I have also learned how to say... Saba diha. GF cracks up anytime I say that to her, said I sound cute :wacko:

Next week I will go to my first Filipino party/celebration/gathering, meet many more family members too, should be interesting. I am goign to practice what little I know. Going to do some snorkeling in Moalboal, visit Dumaguete, in general hang out more in the province this time around, slowly acclimating myself with each visit. 

• Like 3

rep1
On 8/30/2017 at 5:45 PM, Flakes said:

Haha Maybe because u to much with u face in the sun? If u see me its obvious i am not a Pinoy even if i would speak the language fluently 

This one is also an pinoy:

Spoiler

1280px-Jaime_Augusto_Zobel_de_Ayala_II_-

I've seen a few white girls who behave like locals but don't look alike at all, not like typical whites either. Not tourist.

If you learn to speak it well they may mistaken you as some Spanish lord.

Highlighter

You can learn to speak any language you want, but you can bet your balls the minute the locals don't want you to know what they are saying they will speak to each other in a different dialect.

noddle
25 minutes ago, Highlighter said:

You can learn to speak any language you want, but you can bet your balls the minute the locals don't want you to know what they are saying they will speak to each other in a different dialect.

Only if they know you can understand them,  if you don't let on,  and they don't know you understand,  then you can listen as much as you want  and just act  dumb..   :-)  but sometimes,  ignorance is bliss ..

Highlighter
26 minutes ago, noddle said:

but sometimes,  ignorance is bliss ..

Most times for me.

TequilaSunset

On my recent trip I heard 3 guys talking as we waited to cross the street, I understood the word "Kano" and nothing else... and I uttered, Hay Naku... they stopped talking and just looked at me.  We laughed later on, still wish i knew what they think I knew they said :D 

colemanlee

Most of the time its better you dont know what they say...probably would just piss you off...

• Like 2