Sign in to follow this  
Flakes

How good is ur Visaya or Tagalog?

Goetz1965

Maybe someone knows a good course online or where to get a good teacher here in Cebu.

spydoo

The video content of Bud's course is still on Youtube: 

• Thanks 2

Headshot
1 hour ago, TequilaSunset said:

I  want to know some of the chit being spoken around me

...and THAT is the main reason why expats learn the local lingo. :popcorn:

• Like 1

Flakes
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

Maybe someone knows a good course online or where to get a good teacher here in Cebu.

To study Tagalog or Visaya?

Richard K

.... Wala....

RR3

Mostly it ends up that I talk to them in Cebuano and they reply in Pinglish...

• Haha 2

Richard K
22 minutes ago, RR3 said:

Even some of the soaps my girl seems to love are mostly taglish.
I cannot seem to get my head around tagalog... I have a smathering of french, spanish, german.. I can actually get by in parts of Canada... and that is not even really french any longer.
I think if I were younger I might be more able... I think we learn slower when we are older... but then I am pretty much an up-state NY hick also... even the english I speak is often misunderstood...
Also?.. It does not help that am deaf in one ear. When there is background noise (which there always seems to be) I have trouble picking out the words. even with people here that speak engish the accents always seem to be on odd parts of the phrase...
Deaf in one ear and can't see out of the other... it's a bitch getting old..... ;) 

Edited by Richard K
  • Like 1

Busted Dick
6 hours ago, RR3 said:

Hahaha!  That is exactly why I did not finish the course I was doing; I tried so hard, got to a stage that I could hold some conversations (depending on what they were about) in Cebuano; yet on so many occasions the replies would be in English!  As Bud Brown said, to learn a language you need to immerse yourself in it; that's so hard here because most of the residents speak English reasonably well.

6 hours ago, Richard K said:

... It does not help that am deaf in one ear. When there is background noise (which there always seems to be) I have trouble picking out the words. even with people here that speak engish the accents always seem to be on odd parts of the phrase...

I have that problem too.  Even with my other half I sometimes struggle to understand what she is saying; I will often scold her for speaking Japanese/Chinese/Swahili but the reality is that she is speaking English rather well but this old fool cannot hear properly!

Flakes
2 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

Hahaha!  That is exactly why I did not finish the course I was doing; I tried so hard, got to a stage that I could hold some conversations (depending on what they were about) in Cebuano; yet on so many occasions the replies would be in English!  As Bud Brown said, to learn a language you need to immerse yourself in it; that's so hard here because most of the residents speak English reasonably well.

I have that problem too.  Even with my other half I sometimes struggle to understand what she is saying; I will often scold her for speaking Japanese/Chinese/Swahili but the reality is that she is speaking English rather well but this old fool cannot hear properly!

Dont they sell these small hearing aids? Or is that not cool?

sugbu777

Jeez, I spent so much time on this side of the world, when I go back to US to visit my family complains that they can't understand my accent when I'm speaking English. :P Especially if I use Philippine or Chamorro accent. Its a hard habit to break.

My pal in Hawaii can jump from perfect English to "Da Kine" without even giving it a thought.

My wife's family says they can always understand me, but not other Kanos.  "Oooo kuya, your English is so good." Ha...I'm speaking with their accent. Eh...it works...at least they do understand (or at least pretend to) when we speak.

• Like 1

oztony
13 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

My wife's family says they can always understand me, but not other Kanos.  "Oooo kuya, your English is so good." Ha...I'm speaking with their accent. Eh...it works...at least they do understand (or at least pretend to) when we speak.

Yep , you get used to having to even pronounce english words in their accent , otherwise they just don't get what you are saying or it takes longer for them to catch on , 

Particularly with us Aussies who talk fast and have a slightly different version of english , they do seem to catch onto the American version a lot easier...IMO

• Like 2

shadow
25 minutes ago, oztony said:

Yep , you get used to having to even pronounce english words in their accent , otherwise they just don't get what you are saying or it takes longer for them to catch on , 

Particularly with us Aussies who talk fast and have a slightly different version of english , they do seem to catch onto the American version a lot easier...IMO

I don't understand half of what you Aussies say either!

:pacifier:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

M.C.A.

I stopped the Philippine accent after listening to myself on a video it didn't sound so good but many posters here have a point and they probably do understand better with an accent... so what I did was speak slower (not louder) and it seems to work, I watch YouTube videos of expats and I shake my head at their English or Tagilish accent it's nutty and not needed.

This also applies to Tagalog or other dialects if you can't get the accent right they won't understand what you are saying or will say "Speak English", had a guy say that to me once, Lol.  So real important for those that want to learn the language to either listen carefully to the accent or if you do purchase a Tagalog program make sure it comes with spelling and voice recognition software, with this software it will ask you to pronounce the words if you don't do it right it keeps you there until you get it.

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick
On 8/30/2017 at 5:32 AM, Flakes said:

. But even tough  living in Cebu i guess i will choose Tagalog?

For what possible reason?

My only reason for learning Tagalog would be to watch a Tagalog language movie.

• Like 2

Flakes
1 hour ago, Jim Sibbick said:

For what possible reason?

My only reason for learning Tagalog would be to watch a Tagalog language movie.

Hmmm well lets say i go to a language school in Cebu then what will the teacher teach the foreigners ? Tagalog or Visaya?