Sign in to follow this  
Flakes

How good is ur Visaya or Tagalog?

Flakes

Which Dialect are u more comfortable with? and In which dialect u know the most words?

to_dave007

Visayan.. gamay gamay

Tagalog..  z ero

• Like 2

Flakes
28 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Visayan.. gamay gamay

Tagalog..  z ero

So u just arrived?

Busted Dick

Visayan.  I bought an online course which worked very well for me.  I can understand some Tagalog but am definitely more comfortable with Visayan.

• Like 1

GwapoGuy
30 minutes ago, Busted Dick said:

Visayan.  I bought an online course which worked very well for me.  I can understand some Tagalog but am definitely more comfortable with Visayan.

My emphasis is on Visaya or is it Bisaya?

Which online course are you referring to?

Busted Dick

It can be either; we foreigners might call it Visayan, after all it is the language of the Visayas.  However local pronunciation usually has it as Bisayan.  Same difference.

I used Bud Brown's Essential Cebuano course; unfortunately he stopped supporting it a while ago and the website no longer appears to exist which is a shame.

PhilsFan
31 minutes ago, Busted Dick said:

It can be either; we foreigners might call it Visayan, after all it is the language of the Visayas.  However local pronunciation usually has it as Bisayan.  Same difference.

I used Bud Brown's Essential Cebuano course; unfortunately he stopped supporting it a while ago and the website no longer appears to exist which is a shame.

I bought his program too, after recommendations here. I wonder what happened?

Busted Dick

Dunno.  The man himself is OK; he has a YouTube channel and sometimes posts on there.  When he said he was no longer supporting Essential Cebuano I emailed him asking if it was ok to distribute it (free) to others; he never replied.

• Thanks 1

PhilsFan

Thats kind of a bummer as I believe that was part of the deal when I signed up... that the program would be supported and expanded, at least that's what I recall...I could be wrong on that.

Flakes

I have lived 15 months in Jakarta and still remember some bahasa indonesia sentences. That language might be simular to here ? If i would learn 500 basic words it might be very handy. But even tough  living in Cebu i guess i will choose Tagalog?

Edited by Flakes
  • Like 1

sugbu777

I am pretty comfortable with Cebuano, I don't speak the greatest, but understand a hell of a lot.

Same with Tagalog. I do know some Zambal and Ilocano.

RogerDat

I find it much better when I have no idea what the neighbors are saying. i relay on body language. They all seam pretty good with English when they need a job, or a loan.

• Haha 1

TequilaSunset

Inita uy! That's my favorite line when I am visiting :P

GF is slowly teaching me various sayings, but I would love an online program. 

Davaoeno
12 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

As I recall the promo on Linc promised your money back to anyone who wasn't happy with the course

M.C.A.

Good reminder I bought the Rosetta Stone Tagalog I & II program but haven't used it in a long time, it works with a voice recognition software and also has you spell sentences, real cool but my headset failed years ago, so I need to order headset online because nobody sells a USB headset here in any store I've ever been to plus it has to work with voice recognition software.

I can speak just a little bit and know many words but I still find it very difficult, I've also learned so many words so that body language thing... LOL are you serious? They could be down grading and saying so many disparaging words about you to your face and they do, it's unbelievable while in pleasant conversation or party, this I started to find out even while holding my grand kids, nothing is sacred, we all better learn as much as we can.  

Also a common form of teasing the foreigner is not talking directly at you and in a lowered voice and using even more complicated not so nice words, it's fun to them but when you pick up on it you'll start to see your place here, it's very low.

Edited by M.C.A.