Sign in to follow this  
trthebees

Electrical Installation Material Suppliers?

trthebees

I'm hoping someone can suggest the best store for installation materials.

Our present house is coco/amakan/nipa construction We've lived in it for 12 years. Wiring is ok run on the surface with the usual Omni type fittings.

We've just completed a "concrete" house...smallish 2 bed, all nicely finished with some character. I am going to surface wire it and want to use white trunking and boxes for junctions and sockets and switches. (I've shown a blanking plate in the pics, but this could equally be a socket, and the box could be single gang). I've also attached a Panasonic page showing the "Philippines" switches etc I'd like to surface mount.

I've hunted around on the internet but unfortunately Cebu suppliers don't have comprehensive websites. Omni and Panasonic don't seem to have surface boxes. The only trunking source on the internet I've found is Fortress, though stock info would depend on when I get there.

We finished the construction a month ago, and I've popped back to the UK to sort some pension stuff (endless paperwork the so-and-so's!!!). I had thought of sending a box of stuff, but the new balikbayan rules seem to make that difficult.

So my questions are...Are decent looking surface mounted boxes available for switches, sockets and junctions? And which is the best store to go to for electrical installation materials?

Recommendations are appreciated because we're 4....now 5 hours  with the worsening traffic...from the city and I'd like to get kitted out best I can with what I need. Local supplies in our town are very limited.

Thanks

trunking.jpg

double box.jpg

blanking plate.jpg

Panasonic sockets, switches rotate.pdf

Raven

Omni have a surface utility box like this

89.jpg

• Like 1

Woolf

I can see that the picture above is atlantic hardware

Atlantic hardware is probably have some the best (lowest) prices in cebu

trthebees
45 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Thanks very much for that..good of you and a quick response!..looks the job...I'll call in there.

trthebees
On 28/08/2017 at 6:18 PM, Woolf said:

I've just got back to the Philippines and stopped in Atlantic Tabunok. Picked up loads of stuff for the house wiring and plumbing and ladder etc. Great to only have to go to one place to get just about everything. Thanks again.

• Like 2

SkyMan

I guess I'm a bit late to this party but I really don't recommend those Omni plastic surface mount gangs.  They are very cheaply made and it doesn't take much to break them or to spin the little metal thread inserts for the plate screws.  If I wanted surface mount gangs I'd use steel gangs available at Home Builders, Cebu Tristar, or the Chinese owned electrical place almost directly across from Atlantic Hardware Mandaue.  Most likely a better price for wire at Tristar too.  But I doubt I'd surface mount on a permanent house anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RogerDat

My train room and work shop are being surface mount. We are using orange because the metal looks bad unless painted, and do not take paint well, so at some point we will paint the orange white. I have used the surface mount white plastic several places as add on wiring, and you must be careful because it is plastic, but unless you got rough kids, should not be a problem.

trthebees
16 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I guess I'm a bit late to this party but I really don't recommend those Omni plastic surface mount gangs.  They are very cheaply made and it doesn't take much to break them or to spin the little metal thread inserts for the plate screws.  If I wanted surface mount gangs I'd use steel gangs available at Home Builders, Cebu Tristar, or the Chinese owned electrical place almost directly across from Atlantic Hardware Mandaue.  Most likely a better price for wire at Tristar too.  But I doubt I'd surface mount on a permanent house anyway.

Fair warning thanks to be careful with the Omni boxes which they gave me. I did get extra spares while I was there. I'm only using them for the socket outlets. For lighting switches and junction boxes I brought MK boxes and fittings from the UK.

The socket outlets themselves are Panasonic. Not amused by push-fit cable system. And fascinated why they have "up" marked on them.

• Like 1

shadow

The omni outlet receptacles seem to last 6-12 months, then will no longer hold a plug firm, which causes bad connection=heat. We nearly had a fire due to one.

Cheap crap! How much is your life and home worth? A few pesos savings?

• Like 1

trthebees
3 minutes ago, shadow said:

The omni outlet receptacles seem to last 6-12 months, then will no longer hold a plug firm, which causes bad connection=heat. We nearly had a fire due to one.

Cheap crap! How much is your life and home worth? A few pesos savings?

I agree...our old native house has those omni surface mount sockets..the ones that look like they belong on a cheap extension lead. I replace them regularly. Probably doesn't help being by the sea as corrosion is a nuisance.

Our new build is using omni white pattress boxes (what the supplier had) with Panasonic socket outlets fitted to them. 

• Like 2

SkyMan
4 hours ago, trthebees said:

And fascinated why they have "up" marked on them.

I've noticed that too and all I can come up with is the brand name is upside down if you don't follow.

• Like 1