Creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese

Sometimes I get hungry for plain old American-style foods (comfort food.) The challenges of course are making them from ingredients I can find here and doing everything on a stove burner as I don't have an oven. Here's one I came up with for macaroni and cheese. It came out pretty well, considering.

Ingredients:

1 400g package of elbow macaroni
2 large sachets of cheddar Cheezee Squeeze (not pimento), or 1 sachet Cheezee Squeeze and 1 small box Quickmelt cheese (depending on how cheddary you want it), at room temperature
1 1/2 pints plain Nestle yogurt at room temperature
1 small package (streaky) bacon, about 8 to 10 rashers
2 or 3 purple onions (depending on their size) or 1/2 large white onion, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Peel and chop the onions, set aside.
Fry the bacon in a large skillet until well cooked but not burnt. Place the rashers on a plate covered with paper towels to drain and cool. The rashers should be very crispy once they've cooled.
Saute the onions on medium-low heat until tender. Do not overcook. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain well but do not rinse. (Rinsing prevents the cheese sauce from sticking to the pasta as well.)
Drain the excess bacon grease, reserving 4 tablespoons in the pan. Stir in the flour until it makes a smooth paste. If it isn't smooth add some more grease. Cook on medium to medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the flour just begins to darken to a cream or pale tan color to make a blonde roux.
Remove from heat and continue stirring for another 5 minutes or until the pan cools enough not to burn you. (Otherwise the flour continues cooking from the pan's heat and may scorch.)
Stir in the yogurt. Return to medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently until mixture is very warm and begins to thicken. Don't allow it to boil or the yogurt may curdle. (You basically have a bacony bechamel sauce at this point.)
Remove from heat, stir in the cheese then continue heating and stirring until the cheese melts and is well-blended, and the sauce thickens as much as it's going to.
Crumble the bacon and add it and the onions to the sauce. Mix well, stir in the macaroni, mix very well. Mix in black pepper to taste, and salt to taste if required, and serve. (If mixture is too thick at this point stir in the remaining yogurt. The sauce should be thick, creamy and cheesy yet there should be some excess sauce besides what's stuck to the pasta.)

You can omit the bacon and onions if you want a pure mac and cheese, in which case substitute oil for the bacon grease. You can add a package of hot dogs, boiled then thinly sliced if you want to, or chopped cooked ham. But it's best with the bacon and onions as they go very well with cheese.

If the leftovers are too thick add a little milk or cream when reheating and adjust seasonings to compensate. If you have an oven you can transfer the mixture to a casserole dish, sprinkle it with bread, cracker or potato chip crumbs and bake it until the top has a light brown crust. Don't forget to preheat the oven.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
angbumabasa
18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sometimes I get hungry for plain old American-style foods (comfort food.) The challenges of course are making them from ingredients I can find here and doing everything on a stove burner as I don't have an oven. Here's one I came up with for macaroni and cheese. It came out pretty well, considering.

Ingredients:

1 400g package of elbow macaroni
2 large sachets of cheddar Cheezee Squeeze (not pimento), or 1 sachet Cheezee Squeeze and 1 small box Quickmelt cheese (depending on how cheddary you want it), at room temperature
1 1/2 pints plain Nestle yogurt at room temperature
1 small package (streaky) bacon, about 8 to 10 rashers
2 or 3 purple onions (depending on their size) or 1/2 large white onion, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Peel and chop the onions, set aside.
Fry the bacon in a large skillet until well cooked but not burnt. Place the rashers on a plate covered with paper towels to drain and cool. The rashers should be very crispy once they've cooled.
Saute the onions on medium-low heat until tender. Do not overcook. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain well but do not rinse. (Rinsing prevents the cheese sauce from sticking to the pasta as well.)
Drain the excess bacon grease, reserving 4 tablespoons in the pan. Stir in the flour until it makes a smooth paste. If it isn't smooth add some more grease. Cook on medium to medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the flour just begins to darken to a cream or pale tan color to make a blonde roux.
Remove from heat and continue stirring for another 5 minutes or until the pan cools enough not to burn you. (Otherwise the flour continues cooking from the pan's heat and may scorch.)
Stir in the yogurt. Return to medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently until mixture is very warm and begins to thicken. Don't allow it to boil or the yogurt may curdle. (You basically have a bacony bechamel sauce at this point.)
Remove from heat, stir in the cheese then continue heating and stirring until the cheese melts and is well-blended, and the sauce thickens as much as it's going to.
Crumble the bacon and add it and the onions to the sauce. Mix well, stir in the macaroni, mix very well. Mix in black pepper to taste, and salt to taste if required, and serve. (If mixture is too thick at this point stir in the remaining yogurt. The sauce should be thick, creamy and cheesy yet there should be some excess sauce besides what's stuck to the pasta.)

You can omit the bacon and onions if you want a pure mac and cheese, in which case substitute oil for the bacon grease. You can add a package of hot dogs, boiled then thinly sliced if you want to, or chopped cooked ham. But it's best with the bacon and onions as they go very well with cheese.

If the leftovers are too thick add a little milk or cream when reheating and adjust seasonings to compensate. If you have an oven you can transfer the mixture to a casserole dish, sprinkle it with bread, cracker or potato chip crumbs and bake it until the top has a light brown crust. Don't forget to preheat the oven.

I gotta save that. Thanks.

You can use cream cheese instead of Quickmelt.

Next time I make it I think I'll just use the cheddar squeezy-cheesy stuff but I wanted to see what it would taste like with half that and half Quickmelt. Like I said, it wasn't bad but might have been better without the QM in it. If it's too cheddary I'll try adding cream cheese.

• Like 1

I too miss the Kraft Mac & Cheese box mix's, last time I seen a box in the grocery store it was small and 120 peos's each.  I don't like the box cheese it doesn't taste right but found Mozeralla sold here in large blocks for about 12000 pesos but it's not the right kind of cheese but works for my cheese fix.

Headshot

They have both medium cheddar and sharp cheddar from Tillamook Cheese at S&R right now.

• Thanks 1

Cheddar or long horn style cheese sure is pricey here they do offer it at South Super Market in small packages that's not enough for me I need a huge block of it, but they had shredded cheddar cheese or so I thought it was labeled Chiz Kid and the one time I didn't check the label, so after I got home and used it in our meal I noticed something was wrong it didn't taste right it didn't cook correctly and sure enough no cheese what so ever in it.

sugbu777
8 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

Chiz Kid

Jeez...even the name sounds dubious. I brought some of the Kraft Mac n Cheese over last time I went to PI. Good Lord the wife's relatives gobbled that stuff up! They loved it. They also like the "box" Betty Crocker mashed potatoes.

8 hours ago, Headshot said:

Tillamook Cheese at S&R

How much is the Tillamook there?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I made this a second time, with a 200g package of bacon instead of hot dogs. The store I was at didn't have yogurt so I used "whole milk" which turned out to be from powder, and it wasn't nearly bacony or cheesy enough. I added a small block of Edam I got at the sari2x store which helped somewhat.

I plan to make it again later this week. I got three 165g boxes of Magnolia white cheddar, one 227g box of Emborg cream cheese, two 500g containers of plain Nestle yogurt and two 200g packages of Frobello hickory smoked bacon. I'm ready to try again! Of course it's going to look pretty blonde, not orange like Kraft Dinner. *shrug* The flavor's what's important.

Edited by Jay
edited for clarity
  • Like 2
RogerDat

Try it with Carnation condensed milk, not sweet, like for Coffey. That long big block cheese they sell here benefits greatly by a month in the fridge with the inner wrapper open. It gets dry and crumbly.

SkyMan
On 8/28/2017 at 3:14 PM, M.C.A. said:

I too miss the Kraft Mac & Cheese box mix's,

Kraft Mac and Cheese is ok but I prefer Velveeta Shells and Cheese.  S&R often has the Kraft but once in a while they have the Velveeta.

RogerDat

Was at Gaisano Metro near General Milling Lapu Lapu last hour, they have Kraft regular cheesy mack P47 each, and something called deluxe for P248.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:54 PM, Jay said:

I plan to make it again later this week. I got three 165g boxes of Magnolia white cheddar, one 227g box of Emborg cream cheese, two 500g containers of plain Nestle yogurt and two 200g packages of Frobello hickory smoked bacon. I'm ready to try again! Of course it's going to look pretty blonde, not orange like Kraft Dinner. *shrug* The flavor's what's important.

I made it today and it turned out quite well, very tasty. The only problem is that the Magnolia "cheddar" cheese is a mild white cheese, so between it, the cream cheese and the yogurt the mac and cheese came out as white as an Irishman. It could stand  a few drops of both red and yellow food coloring, just for the sake of appearance.

I don't think I'll be fixing homemade mac and cheese again any time soon though: it took literally all afternoon to make including the mise en place (prepping everything beforehand.)

Pass 1: Remove the foil wrappings from the cheese. Cut or break the cheddar cheese into small pieces.

Pass 2: Allow the cheeses and the yogurt to warm to room temperature.

Pass 3: Fry the bacon until crispy but not burned. The size of my one good nonstick pan limited me to frying only four rashers at once so this took some time. Place the bacon on layers of paper towels to soak up the excess grease.

Pass 4: Bring a panful of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni and boil, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking, for 12 minutes. Watch it so it doesn't boil over. Drain the water.

Pass 5: Mix 9 to 10 heaping tablespoons of flour into the bacon grease, adding a little oil if needed. Blend well then cook, stirring constantly, until the roux reaches the color of manila paper. Remove from heat and spoon half of it into a large skillet, then continue cooking the rest of the roux, stirring constantly, until it's slightly darker than peanut butter. Remove from heat but continue to stir until the pan is cool enough not to burn you when you touch it, another ten minutes or so. This roux will get even darker until the pan cools as it will continue cooking in the hot pan. It should come out a nice reddish-brown. Put this roux in a small food container and freeze it for gumbo later. (Win! Now you can make a gumbo using a dark roux made with tasty bacon grease and you don't even have to make the roux first when you go to cook it! Frozen roux should keep for months.) If you use all of the blonde roux for the mac and cheese the sauce will be way too thick, so I used a little less than half.

Pass 6: Stir the yogurt into the blonde roux and heat, stirring very often. Add the cheeses and continue cooking and stirring until they've melted and the sauce is smooth.

Pass 7: Add the macaroni, stirring it well into the cheese sauce as it will probably have clumped together and congealed while it was sitting and getting cold while you were taking so long to make that damn roux.

Pass 8: Crumble/tear up all of the bacon and stir it into the mac and cheese, mixing it in very well.

Pass 9: The mac and cheese may be too thick: if so, add some water and blend well. It may taste too bland for your palate: if so, add one small sachet of Magic Sarap and blend well. (The only difference between mild, medium and sharp cheddar cheese is the salt content, so if you prefer a sharper cheese flavor just add something salty like Magic Sarap.)

Pass 10: (Optional) Add red and yellow food coloring a few drops at a time, mixing well, until the desired color is achieved. Be sure to use enough if you decide add this or else you'll make it look like upchuck. Don't add too much or you'll make it look like something from outer space.

Pass 11: Wash dishes and clean up. Double-wrap the greasy paper towels in tied plastic bags so they won't attract stray dogs or rats to your garbage. Likewise, thoroughly rinse the packages the bacon came in for the same reason.

Pass 12: Get your wife/girlfriend/partner to massage your aching back with some efficascent oil to ease the pain from standing over a hot stove for hours. (I don't know why, but long periods of cooking always make my back ache.)

Pass 13: Drink beer.

Pass 14: See pass 13.

Edited by Jay
minor edit
  • Like 1