Sign in to follow this  
billy

Colonoscopy

billy

I was thinking of having a colonoscopy in cebu. I've never had one does anyone have any info on it costs, hospital and doctor etc.?

• Thanks 2

samatm

Me too..   any shared info would be appreciated. 

billy
39 minutes ago, samatm said:

Me too..   any shared info would be appreciated. 

They say it's very important to have especially I think 50 and over

Davaoeno

every 5 years after you reach 50

Paul

A topic I guess I need to think about, now.

angbumabasa

I started mine about fifty. I've had several over the years and they 'stink'. Due for one last year but it's been postponed several times. My personal physician here will perform the smelly task here in Maasin at Living Hope Hospital. I just can't wait as they are sooo much fun.  :-):-):-)

Davaoeno

If you properly prepare yourself [ per the instructions of a competent doctor] then there is no stink.. Why would there be ?

Headshot

Before you consider getting a colonoscopy, you should talk with your doctor about FOBT (Fecal Occult Blood Tests) and virtual colonoscopy. Both tests can be done without any invasive procedures. FOBT should be performed annually when you get your normal physical exam.

Virtual colonoscopy requires the same prep as for a regular colonoscopy, plus you drink a special liquid after the prep that causes any irregularities in your colon. The virtual colonoscopy is performed using a CT Scan, rather than using a scope pushed up your rectum. The advantages of a virtual colonoscopy over a regular colonoscopy are that the doctor can go back and review carefully different parts of the colon more than once if they think it necessary, AND there is no danger of a perforation of your colon (which is a very real risk of a regular colonoscopy).

The disadvantage is that, if an abnormality is found in your colon using a virtual colonoscopy, it cannot be immediately treated the way it can be with a regular colonoscopy. Therefore, if something is found, you will probably end up getting a regular colonoscopy anyway. Most doctors now only recommend a colonoscopy (either kind) once every ten years now unless abnormalities are found in the first colonoscopy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Davaoeno
42 minutes ago, Headshot said:

recommend a colonoscopy (either kind) once every ten years

you appear to be correct on that Bill.  thanks 

• Like 1

mexiwi

I have had them every three years since I was 29.

Dad, Grandfather, Great Grandmother all had bowel cancer, Dad's was discovered early enough but he had a colostomy at 45, he is 76 this year.

So an evening on the throne then camera up the freckle is not a big deal in my book compared to the alternative.

• Like 5

samatm

Well since we are  the subject  (I'll bring up the rear) what about a prostate ultrasound?   doc just recommended that to me  without doing the ol' lubed glove finger test which i have never had.     Has  anyone had that one done?

Rocketman

I had it done 9 years ago and it was a non-event - will get it done again next year.  Not a hassle at all and no discomfort.  Had a friend and his wife get one done a few months ago at the new UC Med hospital Cebu near S&R and they said it was as wonderful as it could be.  The hospital was empty and service was great.  Don't remember the price, but obviously much cheaper than at home.

Soupeod
15 hours ago, Headshot said:

Before you consider getting a colonoscopy, you should talk with your doctor about FOBT (Fecal Occult Blood Tests) and virtual colonoscopy. Both tests can be done without any invasive procedures. FOBT should be performed annually when you get your normal physical exam.

Virtual colonoscopy requires the same prep as for a regular colonoscopy, plus you drink a special liquid after the prep that causes any irregularities in your colon. The virtual colonoscopy is performed using a CT Scan, rather than using a scope pushed up your rectum. The advantages of a virtual colonoscopy over a regular colonoscopy are that the doctor can go back and review carefully different parts of the colon more than once if they think it necessary, AND there is no danger of a perforation of your colon (which is a very real risk of a regular colonoscopy).

The disadvantage is that, if an abnormality is found in your colon using a virtual colonoscopy, it cannot be immediately treated the way it can be with a regular colonoscopy. Therefore, if something is found, you will probably end up getting a regular colonoscopy anyway. Most doctors now only recommend a colonoscopy (either kind) once every ten years now unless abnormalities are found in the first colonoscopy.

Aye, i just had one and the surgeon said i had to come back in five years because they burned off one small polyup(sp?) or it would have been 10 years.

painless procedure and make sure you have someone to take you home because you will not be there in mind when done. 

streak03

20994267_10212585254519291_632771080401241835_n.jpg

• Haha 1

Banacon

Doctor had me to obtain a sample of my poop and send it to the lab. Later he messaged me that it was negative. He said no need to do colonoscopy anymore. Here in Missoula, Montana..also, off topic, he had me take a heart echo exam. Subsequently, I had open heart surgery to fix aorta aneurism and blockage last dec 30. Said I had birth defect of heart, never detected before. Good doctors here in Missoula..feel great now...

• Like 1