Sign in to follow this  
Paul

When is enough, really enough?

jazzy

I tell ya, I just hear so many guys saying, "Just one more year and I will retire." Well, a friend of mine kept saying that, until he died before he had a chance to retire. I didn't let it happen to me, and I hope others heed this information and advice too.

"I will retire in 2011,Sis", these are my sister's words, the same as you have quoted, Paul, more or less.

Then , one day in Feb this year, she felt a stabbing pain in the back while at work.

After a series of tests and xrays, the verdict is, she has cancer of the liver and the tumour had gone into her bones.

Her dream of going to Cebu to spend her retirement years had flown out of the window, unless a miracle will happen.

It is certainly an eye opener.

jazzy

broden

Retirement kills more people than all other causes combined..!as-if.gif

Could be true....I have gained 15 kilos here in the Phils...blood pressure is climbing like the coconut man.

Maybe it is all this cheap booze and cigarettes...and cold cheap beer.

well man when you hit stateside and get back to seeing the price of those smokes over here again that might help ya cut down on the quick

loosehead

Ideally a house paid off in the west and a house paid off in the Phils and investments producing $1000 per week would be enough to retire comfortably with options to move backwards and forwards between your western home, the Philippines home and enough left over to do a bit of travelling and maintaion a car and bike or two. I'm not in a position to retire yet as our youngest is still in high school.

• Like 1

softail

Retirement kills more people than all other causes combined..!as-if.gif

When I retired my Dr. told me that if I go home, sit on my ass and drink beer, watch TV, wake up late in the day that I can expect to live about 10 years. I took him at his word, up in the morning walk a couple of miles, take it easy on the booz.

As far as money, the only ones that say money is not important are the ones that have it. Talk to the guy that is broke and see how important money is to him.

Doug and Sally

• Like 2

fanboat

Watch out for the exchange rate...last year 1576 dollars=78,800.........today 1576=68,556

Its good advice to keep your western house and rent it out....keep the asset out of the mix...for future use.

• Like 1

lazydays

Is 63 the average lifespan of foreigners?

Ha Ha,I hope not.

If a foreigner lives a HEALTHY and ACTIVE lifestyle,(active in body and mind) he/she should live well into their 80s.

Its pretty conclusive that unhealthy diet,lazyness and boredom are early killers.

Bonehead

Is 63 the average lifespan of foreigners?

Ha Ha,I hope not.

If a foreigner lives a HEALTHY and ACTIVE lifestyle,(active in body and mind) he/she should live well into their 80s.

Its pretty conclusive that unhealthy diet,lazyness and boredom are early killers.

Yes. It has also been proven that having friends keeps you alive longer. People with an active social life and friends live longer. This forum and get togethers are actually good for you.

AFE6

In 2008 my house in Oklahoma burned down in a wild fire while I was in Iraq. I had insurance but it didn't really cover much. When I came home , the only thing I had was a 1/4 lot with a slab and my Harley that I had in climate controlled storage. Guess what I did...I took a month of leave, put most of my gear in the storage unit, got on my bike, and rode from Oklahoma City to Bangor, Maine then to Las Vegas and back to Oklahoma city. After 3 weeks on the road, I rented an apartment, bought a bed and a couch, and never looked back.

I believe that "stuff" becomes a prison for people. The fear of loosing their "stuff" keeps them from living their dreams. I lost everything to that fire, but I have come to realize that I also gained my freedom. I retire in 1462 days, and on that day I just might light a match and walk away. I'll bring my Harley with me though.

• Like 3

JamesMusslewhite
I plan to start my first retirement before I am 40.

..sure i will probably run out of money...or maybe not...

I would rather have some adventure when I am still young and i am lucky enough to have a girl who feels the same way. A few years of taking it easy will be a good thing. And who knows where we will end up! Maybe I will be able to extend it to multiple years of adventure that turns into a very interesting life chapter. I find that the big changes and the uncertainties involved are what push me into real life experiences.

Not that there is anything wrong with living in a subdivision, fueling at starbucks and getting cultured at the mall! I exit stage left!

Better than dying on the toilet! Hehehe :biggrin_01:

Im doin it backwards I left the states for asia at 19 ive been in korea for 11 years and philippines for over 15 and a few other places in between. Haven't worked for anybody since 1987.Been shot,stabbed,beaten, robbed,cheated,ripped off,had 7 heart attacks,operations,crashes,married, divorced several times and extremely fu#%*& over but still alive.A few more years and I will go back to work again Just wondering What i'm gonna do Ive been semi retired for almost 25 years. It's possible that I could work in the whitehouse considering I dont pay taxes either LOL

Anything as long as it is not waring a blue greeters blue vest at Walmart or a paper-hat/ hairnet combo.

ricosadao
.....,had 7 heart attacks,....

All of a sudden I feel like a wuss...

KennyF

In 2008 my house in Oklahoma burned down in a wild fire while I was in Iraq.

I have heard it theorized that Japan and Germany are far in advance of USA, Australia, England etc because they "lost it all" and had to start over afresh.

I know I've had a few instances where I've walked out with just a shoulder bag and mostly I've had fun.

KinAC

Expat

In most EU countries after 15 years in the military you can go on retirement and receive a pension of 560

win
"I think that in a year I may retire. I cannot take my money with me when I die and I wish to enjoy it, with my family, while I live."

- Harry Houdini

Houdini said just one more year, but we know what happened to him. He died before he retired. The post office made an offer of early retirement and I jumped at the chance. That was 2004 and I was only 51. Retire early while you are still alive. I really enjoy my freedom. Yes, my income is reduced but so are my taxes and my level of stress.

huzzah!

win

In 2008 my house in Oklahoma burned down in a wild fire while I was in Iraq. I had insurance but it didn't really cover much. When I came home , the only thing I had was a 1/4 lot with a slab and my Harley that I had in climate controlled storage. Guess what I did...I took a month of leave, put most of my gear in the storage unit, got on my bike, and rode from Oklahoma City to Bangor, Maine then to Las Vegas and back to Oklahoma city. After 3 weeks on the road, I rented an apartment, bought a bed and a couch, and never looked back.

I believe that "stuff" becomes a prison for people. The fear of loosing their "stuff" keeps them from living their dreams. I lost everything to that fire, but I have come to realize that I also gained my freedom. I retire in 1462 days, and on that day I just might light a match and walk away. I'll bring my Harley with me though.

I gave away ALL my stuff and came here...now, where is all this stuff coming from? :shocked:

you try, you buy, you die (but at least I'm enjoyin' d ride!:biggrin_01:)