Sign in to follow this  
Paul

When is enough, really enough?

Mik

"I think that in a year I may retire. I cannot take my money with me when I die and I wish to enjoy it, with my family, while I live."

- Harry Houdini

• Like 2

MrPlow42

I stumbled across this quote six years ago. It slowly wormed it's way into my being and I retired early.

"This spending of the best part of one's life earning money in order to enjoy a questionable liberty during the least valuable part of it , reminds me of the Englishman who went to India to make a fortune first, in order that he might return to England and live the life of a poet. He should have gone up garret at once" - Henry David Thoreau

• Like 1

Paul

I tell ya, I just hear so many guys saying, "Just one more year and I will retire." Well, a friend of mine kept saying that, until he died before he had a chance to retire. I didn't let it happen to me, and I hope others heed this information and advice too.

• Like 7

volstateguy

Yes it is a huge leap deciding to retire and I look forward to that day. As I stated before, I will be able to retire with my pension in 3 years. Will I retire the day I hit 20 years is undecided for several reasons. For starters it depends where I'm assigned when that time hits. If I'm still stationed overseas, I will probably stay in longer. I love living in Germany as it gives me the chance to travel around the rest of Europe very cheap...for instance I flew round trip to Rome when my brother visited for $70 dollars. I'm also an avid harley rider and plan to hit several counties on it this year. So for me it is a big advantage to stay in longer if I'm stationed overseas. I haven't been stationed in Japan yet and would like to take an assignment there before I retire, so if I get that option I see myself taking it. Also as I stated before staying in longer will also increase my monthly pension....staying in to just 24 years will give me an increase of nearly $900 a month. Now I'm sure I would be able to live there quite comfortable on just a 20 year pension, but if I'm enjoying my assignments I feel no need to rush retirement. However if I get sent stateside to someplace unbareable, which would be just about anywhere as far as I'm concerned I will definitely be out the door on the day I hit 20. But if I do stay till even 24 I will still be just 43 when I retire and will have plenty of time to enjoy my retirment years.

I do look forward to my retirement, dont get me wrong. Everytime I read how much everyone here is enjoying their retirement I look forward to mine that much more. :D

• Like 6

Huck Finn
No one promises us a tomorrow. No one guarantees us anything past this very moment in time. So, if you are planning your retirement, and you are unsure about the amount you will have to retire on, please do yourself a favor. Think of how many years you have put in, how many years you have worked your fingers to the bone, how many years you have waited for "that" day to come. Don't let anyone or anything get in the way of you living your dream. If you do, you will still be working the day they throw dirt in your face and are buried six feet under the ground. Don't be too scared to take that step to enjoy the remaining days, weeks, months, or years of your life.

Thanks for reading,

Paul

So very true! I've already made it known to everyone I work with and for' that I'll stay thru the end of this year. Hell yeah, I'm unsure of what the future holds for me but that has never stopped me before and it won't this time. What little family I have and my true friends are aghast that I would sell my home and belongings and move 6,000 miles away to a place I've never been before, but then they aren't me. They havn't been trying to talk me out of it so I guess they know it would be futile. I grew up in a military family and have lived all over the U.S. and I have lived on Guam. I've spent time in the persian gulf, and a few other countries so I know there are considerations in making this drastic of a move.

However much income I have when I retire at the end of this year will have to be enough. I believe it will be, but I've always been one to live sensibly within my income and appreciate what I do have.

• Like 2

Mik
"I think that in a year I may retire. I cannot take my money with me when I die and I wish to enjoy it, with my family, while I live."

- Harry Houdini

Houdini said just one more year, but we know what happened to him. He died before he retired. The post office made an offer of early retirement and I jumped at the chance. That was 2004 and I was only 51. Retire early while you are still alive. I really enjoy my freedom. Yes, my income is reduced but so are my taxes and my level of stress.

• Like 4

indiana

i retired at 55 from post office and the thing is i,ve never been happyer. :D.i always was going to retire at 60 but had a heart attack and died,was out of my body and watching the doctor working on me than went to see my wife sitting in waiting room that wakes you up. doc,s brought me back. the next day told me if i lived 5 more years i was lucky.i figured i was already passed lucky and got my but retired. :D

• Like 3

J&Sheila

I plan to start my first retirement before I am 40.

..sure i will probably run out of money...or maybe not...

I would rather have some adventure when I am still young and i am lucky enough to have a girl who feels the same way. A few years of taking it easy will be a good thing. And who knows where we will end up! Maybe I will be able to extend it to multiple years of adventure that turns into a very interesting life chapter. I find that the big changes and the uncertainties involved are what push me into real life experiences.

Not that there is anything wrong with living in a subdivision, fueling at starbucks and getting cultured at the mall! I exit stage left!

Better than dying on the toilet! Hehehe :D

• Like 2

bikerdave
I plan to start my first retirement before I am 40.

..sure i will probably run out of money...or maybe not...

I would rather have some adventure when I am still young and i am lucky enough to have a girl who feels the same way. A few years of taking it easy will be a good thing. And who knows where we will end up! Maybe I will be able to extend it to multiple years of adventure that turns into a very interesting life chapter. I find that the big changes and the uncertainties involved are what push me into real life experiences.

Not that there is anything wrong with living in a subdivision, fueling at starbucks and getting cultured at the mall! I exit stage left!

Better than dying on the toilet! Hehehe :D

Im doin it backwards I left the states for asia at 19 ive been in korea for 11 years and philippines for over 15 and a few other places in between. Haven't worked for anybody since 1987.Been shot,stabbed,beaten, robbed,cheated,ripped off,had 7 heart attacks,operations,crashes,married, divorced several times and extremely fu#%*& over but still alive.A few more years and I will go back to work again Just wondering What i'm gonna do Ive been semi retired for almost 25 years. It's possible that I could work in the whitehouse considering I dont pay taxes either LOL

• Like 1

broden

if you wanna work work .. if you wanna retire retire .. no matter what you like in life do it or at least try to .. no use having more regrets when the end comes then need be...me i won't work just for the sake of working when the time comes.. i'll retire as early as i can .. learned that lesson from my dad ... we were poor coming up but then eventually he worked his way up in the MTA in New York ... started out in the tunnels and token booths .. he was able to retire at 55 .. and thank god he did .. he was healthy as a horse .. me and him both the healthiest members of the family in fact .. never a sickness .. then he got pancreatic cancer and was dead in a month .. at 68 ..

luckily even though he died way too young at least he didn't spend a long time sick .. he lived his entire life quite happy and healthy and in the manner he wished .. with the exception of that one last month...

he got 13 great years of retirement .. more then many people get that's for sure

life the life you choose to at least as much as humanly possible .. so you don't end up doing one thing and whining about the other .. you only go around once

michael52

taking the step to actually go and follow the dream. sure its a risk i wasnt born with a silver spoon in my mouth. what i get is to feel like a kid again and live life on life's terms...the good and the bad. nothing in life worth having comes easy. what comes too darn easy here in the usa...a slow death...a boring one too.

tim

I am like U Indiana, except I am not waiting for my heart attack. I just retired from the USPS. I just turn 58 and left the same month. I have been home since Feb 2009. My blood pressure is down, my sugar (as they say in the south) is down, my cholr. is down. I walk 3 miles a day 4 to 6 days a week. I am smiling a lot more. When I am in the stores and the old ladies ask me what do I do I just smile and tell them I am retired. They fuss and complain that I am too young. I tell them it still feel good, and I do not regret it. Of course I have a long way to go before I am ready to settle down. I am catching up on the house right now. Getting everything fixed here is a year job in it self..lol...but hey I got the time.

Tim in Memphis

• Like 1

fanboat

I made the move.

Best thing I ever did

Put the 6 feet of dirt on me any time you want

ps I prefer to die in bed after a good fight (fighting)means love making

• Like 1