Sign in to follow this  
MartyC

Pre exposure rabies vaccines

MartyC

My 3 year old daughter was bitten by a neighbors puppy . I don't think it has rabies because we have seen the dogs kept in their enclosure for the10 days we have been in country so far and I will continue to observe them. However it did raise my awareness of the high numbers of rabies cases here in Mandaue and Cebu .Can anyone suggest a decent hospital or clinic that can safely administer the pre exposure prophylactic for rabies to my child?

cogon88

Almost any good sized hospital has the treatment here most dogs here are not vaccinated take you daughter immediately to get the shots even though the dog shows no symptoms by the time he does it will be too late to treat your daughter better safe the sorry

• Thanks 1

Headshot

Along the same lines, even more cats here have rabies than dogs, so keep kids away from cats and kittens here.

• Thanks 2

MartyC

Thanks for the information , I had no idea rabies was such a death sentence and so prevalent around here .We got our baby girl round one at the University of Cebu medical center first thing this morning . Only 2500 pesos and they seemed knowledgeable enough . Will take her for 3 more rounds over the next few days. The dogs owners are also our airbnb hosts! They should vaccinate all of their 15 or so cats and dogs around here if they are going to be renting to family's with kids.

Jawny

Sounds like you have the situation under control.  Unfortunately, this is a common situation here and could be reduced or eliminated if people with pets with get the animals immunized.  In my area and I would guess most places, it is a mandatory process.  Just like obeying speed limits is mandatory.  

In the past several years, we've had three adults die of rabies just in my immediate community.  It is common to ignore an animal bite as just a common problem.  Especially when the treatment costs are so high.

Just as a courtesy to other airbnb users, a post seems appropriate to advise that the host is a pet owner, but rabies treatments are available.

• Thanks 1

SkyMan

It's fairly easy to find free rabies vaccinations.  We do ours at the Municipal Hall.  It generally causes a pretty good commotion when I bring my German Shepherd in.

• Thanks 2

Salty Dog
3 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

It's fairly easy to find free rabies vaccinations.  We do ours at the Municipal Hall.  It generally causes a pretty good commotion when I bring my German Shepherd in.

I splurged and just had my Vet do it for P300...

• Thanks 1

SkyMan
1 minute ago, Salty Dog said:

I splurged and just had my Vet do it for P300...

p300 saved is p300 earned. :) But my point is that expense is not an excuse to not get them vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Salty Dog
Just now, SkyMan said:

p300 saved is p300 earned. :) But my point is that expense is not an excuse to not get them vaccinated.

Where my wife lived in Sorsogon, they came through the neighborhood going from house to house giving them for free.