Sign in to follow this  
David_LivinginTalisay

GENKI English, is great for anyone new to leaning English

David_LivinginTalisay

I bought a TEACHER Set of GENKI English after Anzhelica-Kate was born. 

http://genkienglish.net/teaching/welcome/

image.png.97d362c27c0701bb6064a91912193465.png

I also used it in many of my Classes in China and English Corners.

Anzhelica Kate would 'PLAY for 3 hours and was learning.  

How many kids will voluntarily spend 3 hours improving their English every day! 

It's better than them playing computer games!

• Thanks 2

samatm

I know they are great at japanese textbooks but had no idea they put together English stuffs too.  

hyaku

Suzuki English (Suzuki Violin fame) Talent Education was doing something similar to this back in 1967. The system call for kids learning cards but they were placed in order. So it was typical Japanese rote learning.

Success is achieved because it works better doing 'karuta' as Richard Graham explains in Japanese in a video. Karuta  かるた, is from Portuguese carta. A card game.

Don't know about China but all learning in Japan is rote. That's why they can't speak. Reading+Writing or Speaking+Hearing. They are not interchangeable and are never mixed. It never occurs to them that all four matter and can be mixed rather than paired.

• Like 1

David_LivinginTalisay
7 hours ago, samatm said:

I know they are great at japanese textbooks but had no idea they put together English stuffs too.  

Richard Graham, is a British guy, who started as an ESL teacher in Japan.  
(I remember reading his story about how he got into coming up with GENKI English, it went something like this:-

He learned Japanese and asked his students (in Japanese) what they thought of his English Classes?  "Boring!" was the reply.  On reflection, he replied "Ah yes, to be honest,  to be honest if I had to sit in my own Class, as a Student, I think I would be bored too!  So what do you think I should do better?".  "Play Games!" was the students reply.  
Richard suddenly remembered from his Teacher Training that covered adding GAMES to the Lesson Plan to make learning more FUN and Exciting.  Richard replied "Oh that's right, I am supposed to come up with suitable Games. But I can not let you play GAMES for the whole Lesson, I will lose my job!  What else do you like to do? "
"Sing Songs" was the Japanese Students reply.
"Ah, sing Songs, that's got me thinking... if I find some songs, that cover the Vocabulary of the Lesson, and you Students learn to sing them well in English.  You are having FUN, and enjoying learning the Vocabulary and getting the pronunciation correct, and I am doing my Job.  The School should be happy also!".
But Richard did not find many Songs that covered all the Vocabulary that his Students were supposed to learn.  
He started writing his own Lyrics to Nursery  Rhymes that the Students may know the Tune of.

I think when he started selling there was an issue of Royalties needed for the Tunes.  
Richard seems to have got around that, by having his own tunes created for his own Lyrics.

As you may know, the Japanese are big Fans of 'Anime' - hand-drawn animation /cartoons.

He discovered his students were creating crazy Anime pictures of the lessons Vocabulary.  What is more. the students got talking and discussing these crazy cartoon images of say a 'Mountain Bike' far more than a Photo realistic image, of the same.

598c8095928dc_GenkiEnglish-HowDidYouGetHeresongVocab.thumb.png.97021fdf123379cb2d04f094c2d6c84f.png

This is the GE "How Did You Get Here" song - Vocabulary items = 8 Forms of TRANSPORT.

Just look at that so called 'Mountain Bike'!  
Could you ride it anywhere?    
How exactly?  
It's technically a BAD Drawing of a bicycle, but it does have 2 wheels! 
But no crank, pedals, and sprocket, plus chain, and a rear sprocket
!  
Probably need GEARS to pedal up a Mountain?
How would you STOP when coming down?  
Think BRAKES, might be a good idea also?

bike_attitude.gif
This is a 'proper' Mountain Bike, with multiple Gears, Disc Brakes Front and Rear, and Front Suspension.
But THAT is TOO MUCH detail and information for young Kids.  But great EXERCISE for Older Kids after Singing the Song.

"Who can ride a Bike - hands up please"?
From those with their Hands Up, who can tell the Class "HOW did you LEARN to ride a Bicycle"?

I think you can see that the pictures are just symbols to help learn the song and get the words to stick in their HEAD so they can then Play the GAMES.

• Like 1

hyaku
5 hours ago, David_LivinginTalisay said:

Richard Graham, is a British guy, who started as an ESL teacher in Japan. 

Yes I know he is. Nothing new here in what he does or tries to do. I saw it in Japan 40 years ago before they even had ESL's

You can make it fun on a social level of learning. But the thing is students have a curriculum in Japan. After school they go to cram school at night. Then probably get up at three in morning to study again before exams. There are specific levels of English they need to reach within that curriculum to get into Uni.

They even have English conversation text books now that must be used.

I have seen abject racism against kids who are "too good" at English as well.  

shadow
17 hours ago, David_LivinginTalisay said:

I bought a TEACHER Set of GENKI English after Anzhelica-Kate was born. 

http://genkienglish.net/teaching/welcome/

image.png.97d362c27c0701bb6064a91912193465.png

I also used it in many of my Classes in China and English Corners.

Anzhelica Kate would 'PLAY for 3 hours and was learning.  

How many kids will voluntarily spend 3 hours improving their English every day! 

It's better than them playing computer games!

How is it on speiling and edithing?

;)

Good to see you back, Dave.

David_LivinginTalisay
3 hours ago, hyaku said:

Yes I know he is. Nothing new here in what he does or tries to do. I saw it in Japan 40 years ago before they even had ESL's

You can make it fun on a social level of learning. But the thing is students have a curriculum in Japan. After school they go to cram school at night. Then probably get up at three in morning to study again before exams. There are specific levels of English they need to reach within that curriculum to get into Uni.

They even have English conversation text books now that must be used.

I have seen abject racism against kids who are "too good" at English as well.  

It seems the current generation of Japanese Students may well be getting coaching in conversational English.  

But I am led to believe. it is the adults in Japan,

that are mostly looking to On-Line ESL coaching for help with their Oral English.

Would that be correct Hyaku?

hyaku
3 hours ago, David_LivinginTalisay said:

It seems the current generation of Japanese Students may well be getting coaching in conversational English.  

But I am led to believe. it is the adults in Japan,

that are mostly looking to On-Line ESL coaching for help with their Oral English.

Would that be correct Hyaku?

In Japan the birth rate of 2.696 million in 1949 has dropped to 980,000 last year. Also the female population of 20/30 year olds has dropped 20% has dropped. We had staff management meetings as far back as 20 years ago to inform us of data and consequences. Then 12 years ago it hit. Entrants into some high schools dropped 90%. Any teacher let alone Assistant English teachers are not in demand.

They even do ALT/ESL in elementary schools now not just to introduce them to English but to get them used to foreigners. What was government operated plan is now farmed out to English Schools who pay a pittance and few benefits compared with old salaries. It's teaching staff that need help with low level conversational level as well as students.

Yes I think the future lies in the internet not just for learning English but for business. Japans culture is a sempai/kohai system (junior/senior). They don't mix. The internet breaks down those barriers. An older businessman can do it with a much younger one. Also the embarrassment and problems of being better at English than others is good for students.

Edited by hyaku