Pot Roast

Richard K

sugbu777
8 hours ago, shadow said:

More than that it is in the way it is processed. You cannot take a beef, cut it's throat, let it scream to death, and have it on the table later that day, as you can with a pig. It has to be slaughtered so it does not know it is dying, dressed and cleaned properly, hung in a cooler for a week or so to age, then butchered correctly.

But you are unlikely to find anyone doing that here. To make matters worse, these are not exactly prime beef cattle.

A dead cow does not make a steak. There is a bit more to it than that.

My wife had one of her cattle butchered (in PI)to have beef in the freezer for me. Worst beef ever! Even fresh. Tough even when boiled forever. Pressure cooking helped somewhat. Steaks...forget it. Have not seen anyone in Phils who can decently butcher cattle. They have no concept of the different cuts.

7 hours ago, Richard K said:

Marbling is the key I think... the right amount.

True that.

sugbu777

I am not fond of the way Filipinos cook goat. It's edible, that's about all I can say for it. I am sure Roger knows the proper way to prepare. Best goat I ever had was in Mexico and goat prepared by Mexicans in So Calif.

cebubird
2 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

My wife had one of her cattle butchered (in PI)to have beef in the freezer for me. Worst beef ever! Even fresh. Tough even when boiled forever. Pressure cooking helped somewhat. Steaks...forget it. Have not seen anyone in Phils who can decently butcher cattle. They have no concept of the different cuts.

True that.

Used to buy some beef occasionally from German guy in Daleguete, and he had some pretty good steaks. He butchered his own. He said secret was not to butcher it immediately after killing, but to let it hang in cooler for few days. Forgot how many, but anyway, was by far, the best tasting Philippine beef I had there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
sugbu777
2 minutes ago, cebubird said:

He butchered his own. He said secret was not to butcher it immediately after killing, but to let it hang in cooler for few days.

Yeah, beef should age somewhat.

• Like 1
GwapoGuy
12 hours ago, Richard K said:

So.. I have to say... I was looking forward to this after making it all... but it pretty much sucked...while the chuck roast looked good?.. it was fresh and not old but it had a weird flavor taint...and it was really tough and stringy.. it comes down to what a cow eats i think...and how old it is maybe also, it was disappointing. 
My girl loved it.. and the veggies were good as well as the real gravy I made from the drippings.
Ah well.. tomorrow I will try to make some Philly steak style sandwiches from left over. Marina already claimed the veggies for rice and eggs breakfast... :P

Pot roast is always stringy maybe you cooked it incorrectly? Searing the roast on both sides in hot oil then braising it in wine and stock for a minimum or three hours should yield a tender piece of meat.

GwapoGuy
3 hours ago, sugbu777 said:

I am not fond of the way Filipinos cook goat. It's edible, that's about all I can say for it. I am sure Roger knows the proper way to prepare. Best goat I ever had was in Mexico and goat prepared by Mexicans in So Calif.

Goat is the world's most consumed red meat, you would think they would have it down by now!

3 hours ago, sugbu777 said:

Beef should be aged in a cooler for a minimum of one month!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Headshot
13 hours ago, lamoe said:

You're right about what it eats. Best steak in US comes from corn / Soy feed Midwestern cattle. Most other places feed then grass.

I grilled a nice 2-inch prime rib today for lunch that I purchased from Belchris. I had marinated it to tenderize it even further, and it was really tender. It was grilled to a perfect medium-rare, and then I let it rest for about twenty minutes after grilling before I cut into it. Wow! Flavorful and melt in your mouth. I ate half for lunch, and then put the other half in the fridge to eat cold for dinner.

Just before dinnertime, my SIL (who really doesn't know any better) got it out of the fridge and nuked it for a minute. I could have cried when I found out what she had done. What had been a perfectly-cooked, tender piece of meat was now tough and dried out. I didn't say anything to her. I just ate it. You should NEVER nuke beef. You can get away with that with chicken (and sometimes pork), but beef is ruined by a microwave. From now on, I will just eat what I cook, and not try to save some for later. Talking to her doesn't do any good. She just forgets whatever I say anyway.

Filipinas do NOT know what makes a good piece of beef, let alone what it takes to bring it to perfection, so you can't blame them for ruining it when they touch it. Because most Filipinos leave meat out on the table for hours after it has been cooked, they like everything well-done (so it will last longer without going bad), so it is usually dried out and tough. It is what they are used to eating.

Richard K
15 hours ago, sugbu777 said:

So?... I pretty much know this... I raise rabbits and what we always did with the wild ones we hunted and killed was to hang them. But it was fall into winter and not a hot humid climate.  Without building some kind of "cooling structure"?.. any suggestions?.. My rabbits are well fed and healthy,, fat even... but to just cook them up or even fry or bbq?.. way tough... My take is they need to hang... like duck does... just not sure how to do that without inviting some new protozoa into my system...

• Like 1
Richard K
10 hours ago, Headshot said:

prime rib

cooked as a "roast"...it is not a "steak".. it is taken from the "rib roast" cut and is "bone in".. to me it is the best cut for a steak.. take out the bone and you have a "rib-eye".. but feck that.. I LIKE gnawing on that bone.
Back in the states I would order a 6 rib roast from a local Italian butcher for New Years dinner... I did this with the same family run place for maybe 30 years or so on and off as I was around... I love those folks.. always did me right. At one point I was living maybe 5 blocks away from them and had just gotten a good secure type govt. job...  I would stop to get some coleslaw and lunch meat... I was going thru a bad divorce and badly strapped for coin... One day MOM came out to wait on me when I was there... big old Italian woman.. wide.. mustache..facial mole with the hair out of it.. sack dress with flower print..
I ordered my usual.. cheap shit.. none of the already made stuff.. cheap cheese... cheap cold cuts.. ...and always 5 olives in a styro coffee cup I always grabbed on the way in.. to eat on the way back to my apt (a treat).... they made their own.
So this old girl comes out and waits on me.. she pretty much dismissed the guy at the counter. She takes as I say I want.. kind of giggled when I said only "5 " olives..... weighs and wrapped... When I went to take my stuff she held it.. she said.. "you come here Sunday.. after Church.. 3 o'clock.. You eat with us".. at first I am like "WTF"... but then it hit me somehow this is actually legit.. so I went that Sunday.. and many more after that. A simple old woman.. who had no investment in a young lost guy like me.. only her heart.

I guess my point is that love is never a "place".. or a "look".. looks fade.. I know.. at your age that means nothing... you seem to want a woman like a super model...who will tag along like some kind of trained puppy...believe me it changes... good luck is all I can say

Headshot
8 hours ago, billy said:

prime rib imported? i thought belcris is local beef

I have no idea where they get their beef from, but this was aged and tender. I have some more steaks to test out that I got there. One important thing ... their steaks are cut thick, not like the local butchered beef.

10 minutes ago, Richard K said:

cooked as a "roast"...it is not a "steak"..

I didn't cook it as a roast. I grilled it on my gas grill as a steak.

Richard K

Cut out of a rib roast.. It is a rib steak.. NOT prime rib... none the less awesome though.. and I envy you.. you twat...lol
my daughter sent me a picture of a fresh blueberry pie she made... I love her but i pretty much said the same thing to her...hahahaha

sugbu777
18 hours ago, Headshot said:

Filipinos leave meat out on the table for hours after it has been cooked, they like everything well-done (so it will last longer without going bad), so it is usually dried out and tough. It is what they are used to eating.

Yeah, my wife used to want her steaks well done...until she tried my medium rare steak. She never went back to well done.

Headshot
9 hours ago, Richard K said:

Cut out of a rib roast.. It is a rib steak.. NOT prime rib... none the less awesome though.. and I envy you.. you twat...lol

Fine. Semantics. It was labeled Prime Rib. It had one rib instead of six. Personally, I prefer this to regular prime rib because I was able to fully marinate it and imbue that flavor into the meat, and the grilling also imparts flavor. You marinate a prime rib roast using an injector, but it is more work, and only the edges will be browned, not charred.

No need to envy. Anybody can buy meat from Belcris. They also had tenderloin straps. I will try one sometime.