Richard K

Richard K

Me and my gal are gonna eat good tonight.. :D

20664390_10154726347985986_710001386722075995_n.jpg

20637871_10154726348070986_4323042331392902275_n.jpg

20708301_10154726348170986_7323807749628418577_n.jpg

• Like 5
Richard K

So.. I have to say... I was looking forward to this after making it all... but it pretty much sucked...while the chuck roast looked good?.. it was fresh and not old but it had a weird flavor taint...and it was really tough and stringy.. it comes down to what a cow eats i think...and how old it is maybe also, it was disappointing. 
My girl loved it.. and the veggies were good as well as the real gravy I made from the drippings.
Ah well.. tomorrow I will try to make some Philly steak style sandwiches from left over. Marina already claimed the veggies for rice and eggs breakfast... :P

Soarking

I find it hard to get good quality meats over here.    My best luck seems to be the Australian meats at Rustin's,  but that's even a crap shoot.  Might work better if you cooked it in a slow cooker for a day.

I cook fairly hefty meals at least 4 to 5 nights a week and usually stick with chicken or fish being its easier to get better quality.  Although tonight I made beef tips with onion, garlic and yellow, red & green bell peppers.  

Good luck with the Philly steak sandwiches.   Sounds good if the meats not to tough.

shadow
36 minutes ago, Richard K said:

it comes down to what a cow eats i think...and how old it is maybe also,

More than that it is in the way it is processed. You cannot take a beef, cut it's throat, let it scream to death, and have it on the table later that day, as you can with a pig. It has to be slaughtered so it does not know it is dying, dressed and cleaned properly, hung in a cooler for a week or so to age, then butchered correctly.

But you are unlikely to find anyone doing that here. To make matters worse, these are not exactly prime beef cattle.

A dead cow does not make a steak. There is a bit more to it than that.

• Like 3
Richard K
5 minutes ago, Soarking said:

I find it hard to get good quality meats over here.    My best luck seems to be the Australian meats at Rustin's,  but that's even a crap shoot.  Might work better if you cooked it in a slow cooker for a day.

I cook fairly hefty meals at least 4 to 5 nights a week and usually stick with chicken or fish being its easier to get better quality.  Although tonight I made beef tips with onion, garlic and yellow, red & green bell peppers.  

Good luck with the Philly steak sandwiches.   Sounds good if the meats not to tough.

It was disappointing...it looked good.. I find pork and chicken to be pretty consistent here where I am... fish is a crap shoot... 4 hours from the ocean and all. I am not a fan of Aussie beef.. or what is sold as Aussie "lamb" either... that is pretty much what we always called "mutton". I guess it is all what you are accustomed too.

lamoe

You're right about what it eats. Best steak in US comes from corn / Soy feed Midwestern cattle. Most other places feed then grass.

Richard K
8 minutes ago, shadow said:

A dead cow does not make a steak. There is a bit more to it than that.

you are on the money there my friend...I am always amazed when I see meat cuts in the stores...unreal. It seems that there is no rhyme or reason to how meat is cut here. It seems like no matter where it comes from on the cow/pig/chicken?.. if it kinda "looks" like a steak it is steak... otherwise it is basically just whacked up into usable chunks...ignoring any joints or "cuts"... bone shards at no extra cost...

• Like 2
RogerDuMond

If you can find a supplier of castrated hybrid goats near you, try that. I guarantee that you will think that you are eating beef, except that it is more tender than local beef.

Richard K
Just now, RogerDuMond said:

If you can find a supplier of castrated hybrid goats near you, try that. I guarantee that you will think that you are eating beef, except that it is more tender than local beef.

In Angeles City there are several goat meat merchants..about 15 of them in a row actually...lol  I will try.. ;)

Richard K
11 minutes ago, lamoe said:

You're right about what it eats. Best steak in US comes from corn / Soy feed Midwestern cattle. Most other places feed then grass.

It is hard to beat USDA prime beef. The Japanese have gotten it down to a science and it is awesome but not as affordable.
I remember eating huge beefsteak in Texas and it was advertised as "the biggest and best steak in america".. it was big... and it was tasty... but it was like chewing a boot.
Marbling is the key I think... the right amount.

RogerDuMond
Just now, Richard K said:

In Angeles City there are several goat meat merchants..about 15 of them in a row actually...lol  I will try.. ;)

You won't be happy. The goat meat sold at markets is almost always from males that are not castrated so you get the musky taste which has to be masked. Goats need to be castrated around 6 weeks of age to avoid the musky flavor.

Another factor in the taste is feed and water. Goats actually should have access to fresh water all the time. We feed a combination of locally obtained wild greens and supplement with a mix of PDP, cracked corn, copra meal, and molasses.

We just lechoned a goat last week and the flavor was fantastic.

• Like 1
Richard K
5 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

You won't be happy. The goat meat sold at markets is almost always from males that are not castrated so you get the musky taste which has to be masked. Goats need to be castrated around 6 weeks of age to avoid the musky flavor.

Another factor in the taste is feed and water. Goats actually should have access to fresh water all the time. We feed a combination of locally obtained wild greens and supplement with a mix of PDP, cracked corn, copra meal, and molasses.

You are probably right. I do not know ANY pinoy's that raise livestock for "quality" as opposed to better market weight... even pork or chickens. 
All of the goat I have had here has been pretty much like strong mutton.... Marina will not even eat it. I will even though it does not agree with my guts sometimes.

• Like 1
Richard K

BTW @RogerDuMond what do you feed your rabbits? We are selling all we breed to pet stores... upwards of 20 or so every month or so... we feed grass, cabbage or corn leaves and 1/2 cup of hog grower pellets per day. You have any better source of pellets?

RogerDuMond
1 minute ago, Richard K said:

BTW @RogerDuMond what do you feed your rabbits? We are selling all we breed to pet stores... upwards of 20 or so every month or so... we feed grass, cabbage or corn leaves and 1/2 cup of hog grower pellets per day. You have any better source of pellets?

We feed PDP free choice in feeders and dried para grass. We were feeding the para grass green, but it was making their stools sticky so I had them dry it for about 12 hours in the sun and their stools firmed up. I have never found a local source for formulated rabbit pellets.

Richard K
23 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

We feed PDP free choice in feeders and dried para grass. We were feeding the para grass green, but it was making their stools sticky so I had them dry it for about 12 hours in the sun and their stools firmed up. I have never found a local source for formulated rabbit pellets.

ahh ok.. we also leave until the next day with the grass.. same problem.. the corn leaves we only give a couple... same with the cabbage.. more like treats. I fenced in a section of the yard and try to put out the non-breeders every day or so. The exercise is good for them. Being we are selling mainly as pets we  (Marina) try to spend a little time petting and getting them used to humans.... espesh right in the weening time.. we sell at 5 weeks.. Last time we went down with 21 and sold them all and still had stores we didn't get to. We have kind of a standing offer from most of them.