Sign in to follow this  
lin

Cebu Pacific Dumaguete to Cebu

lin

July 27 my wife and I boarded the Cebu Pacific ATR 600 aircraft at Dumaguete, seated mid-fuselage row 10 C and D over the right side landing gear.  Shut the doors, engines start and we slow taxi from the apron to the runway.  No sooner than the aircraft starts to move a very loud irregular banging noise starts up, emanating from below us. Not only could we hear it, we could feel it.  Reaching the runway the pilot did his final checks, opened the throttles and down the runway we went.  Loud bangs accompanied by a screeching grinding noise.  We got into the air and it stopped.  Nobody seated around us seemed bothered.  Just me.  I have a technical background and I know mechanical distress when I hear it.  Seatbelt light goes out and I call the forward flight attendant.  "There is something seriously wrong with this aircraft's landing gear".... and described the noise.  "Yes sir I'll tell the captain".  And he did nothing more.  The rest of the flight to Cebu was not the best time in my life.  The touch-down was even worse and I was preparing for my wife and I to die together.  Noise was incredible - like a giant power hacksaw blade was ripping through an empty steel oil drum.  Plus loud bangs and terrible vibration.  The aircraft parked at the gate.  My relief was profound.  Again nobody around me seemed concerned.  Truly remarkable.  Getting off the aircraft at the rear I said to the female flight attendant that there was something very badly wrong with the landing gear, and described the noise.  "Hope you had a nice flight sir".

It's more fun in the Philippines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Goetz1965

Why you dont get your smartphone and go to the landing gears - with those small aircrafts on the small airports usually no one would stop you.
So you could take pictures of evidence !

shadow
5 minutes ago, lin said:

July 27 my wife and I boarded the Cebu Pacific ATR 600 aircraft at Dumaguete, seated mid-fuselage row 10 C and D over the right side landing gear.  Shut the doors, engines start and we slow taxi from the apron to the runway.  No sooner than the aircraft starts to move a very loud irregular banging noise starts up, emanating from below us. Not only could we hear it, we could feel it.  Reaching the runway the pilot did his final checks, opened the throttles and down the runway we went.  Loud bangs accompanied by a screeching grinding noise.  We got into the air and it stopped.  Nobody seated around us seemed bothered.  Just me.  I have a technical background and I know mechanical distress when I hear it.  Seatbelt light goes out and I call the forward flight attendant.  "There is something seriously wrong with this aircraft's landing gear".... and described the noise.  "Yes sir I'll tell the captain".  And he did nothing more.  The rest of the flight to Cebu was not the best time in my life.  The touch-down was even worse and I was preparing for my wife and I to die together.  Noise was incredible - like a giant power hacksaw blade was ripping through an empty steel oil drum.  Plus loud bangs and terrible vibration.  The aircraft parked at the gate.  My relief was profound.  Again nobody around me seemed concerned.  Truly remarkable.  Getting off the aircraft at the rear I said to the female flight attendant that there was something very badly wrong with the landing gear, and described the noise.  "Hope you had a nice flight sir".

LOL, you are already in the air, what would you suggest the Cap do? A water landing?

• Haha 3

A_Simple_Man
12 minutes ago, lin said:

seated mid-fuselage row 10 C and D over the right side landing gear

Thanks for the tip.  I shall avoid sitting in that seat.  What I don't know won't hurt me.  Well if it does, it will be a quick death and we all gotta go sometime.   Its more fun here. :sarcasm:

• Like 1

Hoss

Kreole

I take your report quite seriously.  Perhaps you should have sent a message to airport manager to notify them about the incident.  Also, send letters to the aviation administration to report possible dangerous mechanical failure.  I do not think this is anything for forum members to joke about, which only tends to invalidate the importance of the matter.  If YOU had been seated in his place, you might not be so cavalier about it.  

Davaoeno
7 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I do not think this is anything for forum members to joke about, which only tends to invalidate the importance of the matter.  If YOU had been seated in his place, you might not be so cavalier about it.  

hey get off your high horse !! No one is joking about the possible mechanical problem - people are joking about pinoy indifference !! 

• Like 2

Kabisay-an gid
2 hours ago, lin said:

I have a technical background

Considering you have a technical background, I'm curious why you posted about an aircraft incident in the "Traveling Aboard Ships & Boats in the Philippines" forum. Just sayin'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

shadow
53 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

hey get off your high horse !! No one is joking about the possible mechanical problem - people are joking about pinoy indifference !! 

Seriously, I don't understand exactly what the OP expected the captain to do? He can't just pull over and kick the tires, maybe he expected a big scene to cause rampant panic? Turn around and land in Duma, where there is totally inadequate emergency equipment and personnel?

What, exactly, is the Captain (or flight attendant) to do?

As I see it, continuing on to Cebu was his only option.

• Like 1

easy44

It doesnt seem to be about what anyone should do right then, but rather about the fact that no one was willing to recognize there was even a problem.

A_Simple_Man
44 minutes ago, shadow said:

Seriously, I don't understand exactly what the OP expected the captain to do?

Also, what can we say?  Its done.  None of us are going to change our travel plans due to a noise another member heard.  If its a rant we can help by lightening the mood.  If its a complaint then this forum is not the right venue.

• Like 2

Buko Beach
3 hours ago, Hoss said:

5J ATR maintenance is done with ITP in Singapore if I remember correctly

The links you posted deal with A320/321maintenance

Buko Beach
4 hours ago, lin said:

I do not know if you are a regular flier or how much experience you have taking smaller aircraft like the ATR/Q400 turboprops, but one of the first things you should have done if you suspected there was an issue is looked at the faces of the flight crew. If they were not alarmed chances are the noise you were hearing was probably pretty standard.

The flight crews on the inter-island domestic routes often run multiple route loops per shift. For example Duma-Cebu and back, and Duma-NAIA and back with 6 or 8+ separate legs in one shift is pretty standard OP. If anything was seriously wrong with the aircraft (like the loud sound you heard)  there is no way that aircraft would have even attempted to take off.

In fact I take offense with your post, because you're saying the cabin crew and flight deck ignored the sound and deliberately took off and endangered the lives of the passengers and crew, and you were the only one intelligent enough to be aware there was a problem, is total rubbish.

Now to be fair, there are many aircraft in service with issues that are deemed by the captain and ground maintenance staff to be not in need of urgent repairs, but what you posted made it seem like the landing gear was dragging behind the aircraft, or about to fall off or the tires were made out of square blocks of wood.

IMO I think you're used to flying on newer larger aircraft that operate on better runways. Some of the RP runways and taxiways have issues to say the least. Was this your first ATR/Q400 flight in the Philippines?

• Like 2

Salty Dog

I remember hearing similar sounds during takeoff on a Cebu Pacific aircraft over 5 years ago. It stopped as soon as the landing gear was up. It was loud enough that I'm sure the crew could hear it.

Considering I used to fly in these, I was used to loud sounds...

1137183.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2

Woolf

Noise at 1:30 min

• Like 1