Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Scooter Rental Scheme

shadow

IMO, experienced motorcyclists would almost always prefer the bigger XR150, while those who are not should stick with the automatic scooters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PhilsFan

Another reason to go motorcycle over scooter is that guys who do not ride often or are new to riding will go for the scooter...accidents happen to new riders more often than experienced riders.

2 minutes ago, shadow said:

IMO, experienced motorcyclists would almost always prefer the bigger XR150, while those who are not should stick with the automatic scooters.

I see we are thinking along the same lines here...

• Like 1

Raven

So habal-habal... I mean with a driver... higher price, but more safe with an experienced driver and safe for the bike, no need for passport or driver license

shadow
9 minutes ago, PhilsFan said:

Another reason to go motorcycle over scooter is that guys who do not ride often or are new to riding will go for the scooter...accidents happen to new riders more often than experienced riders.

I see we are thinking along the same lines here...

I've given some thought to this as well. I have an XR200 in good shape and a serviceable YBR125 to start, and would like to buy one of the new 150s to add to it. There is plenty of places to rent scooters here (Duma) but few places to rent a real MC. When I first moved here, I rented a Kawasaki KX125 for a few days, at P600/day. It was very difficult to find it, but the thought of a scooter repulsed me. Piece of crap compared to the new XR150. Plenty of likeminded thinking tourists in this are, me thinks.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

PhilsFan
5 minutes ago, Raven said:

So habal-habal... I mean with a driver... higher price, but more safe with an experienced driver and safe for the bike, no need for passport or driver license

When in Cebu, I use habal-habal alot, those guys can get you through the notorious traffic. But I really hate the crappy helmets they give you that never fit right...I don't feel safe. Our city does not require the street knowledge to get you where you are going.

Edited by PhilsFan

shadow
5 minutes ago, Raven said:

No way, no how, you would have gotten me on the back of one.

• Like 1

PhilsFan
3 minutes ago, shadow said:

I've given some thought to this as well. I have an XR200 in good shape and a serviceable YBR125 to start, and would like to buy one of the new 150s to add to it. There is plenty of places to rent scooters here (Duma) but few places to rent a real MC. When I first moved here, I rented a Kawasaki KX125 for a few days, at P600/day. It was very difficult to find it, but the thought of a scooter repulsed me. Piece of crap compared to the new XR150. Plenty of likeminded thinking tourists in this are, me thinks.

Agreed. I think marketing to higher-end hotels would be a good place to start..as well as the Web.

• Like 2

PhilsFan
2 minutes ago, PhilsFan said:

Agreed. I think marketing to higher-end hotels would be a good place to start..as well as the Web.

No doubt you would have to have some mechanical skills to keep them running. Fix a 150 Honda up with some frame sliders, keep a few mirrors in stock and supply decent helmets and bike locks...require a motorcycle endorsement to rent, require a demo-ride to verify they can handle the bike and I think you would be Ok.

• Like 1

Flakes

I not even understand the plan.U want finance for a motorbike purchase or u want to start a bike rental for foreigners only?

PhilsFan
Just now, Flakes said:

I not even understand the plan.U want finance for a motorbike purchase or u want to start a bike rental for foreigners only?

Bike rental for foreigners. Price would be higher, but give them a quality bike and a helmet they can count on. Lots of guys coming here for 2-4 weeks at a time but do not have a place to store a bike so they don't buy one, but wish they could have there own. 

• Like 1

shadow
5 minutes ago, PhilsFan said:

I've already spoken with several resort owners in this area. The going rate would be P800/day, of which they would get P200. They all agree there is a market.

5 minutes ago, PhilsFan said:

require a motorcycle endorsement to rent, require a demo-ride to verify they can handle the bike and I think you would be Ok.

Agree, if they can follow me up the mountain and back without crashing, rent it to em. I have a long track record of people crashing while trying to follow me up the mountain. If they gonna crash it, I want it to be in my back yard.

5 minutes ago, Flakes said:

U want finance for a motorbike purchase or u want to start a bike rental for foreigners only?

yeth

• Like 1

smokey

well that depends on the foreigners I rent to foreigners and neither has had a bike or wanted a bike.... many foreigner's from the us might know how to ride a bike but it takes a different type of riding to ride a bike here ..I have had two bikes and just to easy for me to become road kill in Cebu ..

PhilsFan
3 minutes ago, smokey said:

well that depends on the foreigners I rent to foreigners and neither has had a bike or wanted a bike.... many foreigner's from the us might know how to ride a bike but it takes a different type of riding to ride a bike here ..I have had two bikes and just to easy for me to become road kill in Cebu ..

I am in a smaller city, Smokey. But agree, there is a risk to doing this. I just think it might be a fun way to make some rum-money..and to justify my bike-addiction.

• Like 1

PhilsFan
24 minutes ago, shadow said:

I would rent a YBR or XR 200 and have, on Bohol. Both are excellent choices...Billy Goats, they are!

Last Winter I hauled my scooter to Bohol by ferry...I stayed for a week and saved only 100p a day. I won't do that again. Roads are excellent on Boho; so you can get away with renting a scooter. The Province areas? you need a bike with dirt road and pothole ability.

• Like 1

Flakes

Well Cebu clearly has not enough bike and car rental shops.Demand is there but for a foreigner to start such a company could be complicated and its lots of work.