Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Balikbayan Boxes New Rules Aug 1, 2017

smokey

Oh a sailor who can see thru the coming storm

SkyMan

Turmoil starting:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/07/23/1720742/ofw-group-hits-customs-rules-balikbayan-boxes

OFW group hits Customs rules on balikbayan boxes

Migrante International opposes latest order Customs Memorandum Order 04-2017, which requires balikbayan boxes to include an itemized list of all its contents and receipts of newly-puchased items in the box. Under the new rules, recipients of balikbayan boxes must show that they are relatives of the senders.

Particularly, the order requires sender to submit three copies of information sheets indicating the sender and Philippines-based recipients as well as shipment details. They should also submit supporting documents such as the biographical page of their Philippine passport, copy of invoice, and receipts of payment for the goods contained in the balikbayan box, if any.

Dual citizens sending balikbayan boxes to the Philippines must include proof of their dual citizenship.

BOC said there is no limit to the number of balikbayan boxes that OFWs can send per shipment provided that its total value should not be more than P150,000 in a calendar year.

The 22-page Customs Memorandum Order 04-2017 was signed by BOC Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon on Jan. 20, 2017.

BOC said it issued the directive "to adopt transparent custom rules reglations policeies procedures consistent with international standards and best practices and "to prevent revenue loss from possible abuse in the availment of the privilege on the tax and duty-exempt importation of balikbayan boxes."

But Migrante said the order aims to justify tax impositions and other fund-generating requirements from OFWs and families.

“Itong mga taga-Customs, halatang walang malasakit at walang respeto sa mga OFW. Hindi ba nila alam na kasama sa sayang dulot ng balikbayan box ang surpresang dulot nito sa mga pamilya? Pati ba naman ito ay tatanggalin nila? Gusto nilang tanggalin ang saya ng OFW at pamilya sa pagpapadala at pagtanggap ng balikbayan box,” Migrante International spokesperson Arman Hernando said.

“Ang sabi pa ng BoC, wala raw dapat ikatakot ang mga OFW kung wala naman silang itinatago. Ang sagot dito ng mga OFW, bakit kami ang pinag-iinitan ninyo? Hernando added.

OFWs: Balikbayan boxes are sacred

Hernando said the balikbayan box is sacred to OFWs and that migrant workers will not smuggle any contraband in boxes sent home to their families.

Sending balikbayan boxes is a tradition for many OFWs and Filipinos who have moved abroad. They usually contain gifts, which Hernando described as the “most personalized translation of love and affection for its recipients.”

“Bakit kami ang pinagdidiskitahan ng gobyerno gayong hindi naman nila masawata ang mga malalaking iligal na smuggler at sindikato? Pawis at dugo ng mga OFW ang puhunan para mapuno ang bawat isang balikbayan box,” Hernando said.

“The least the government could do is to make sure that this simple vehicle of love is not burdened by unnecessary requirements and money-making schemes at the expense of OFWs and their families,” he added.

In 2015, OFWs also opposed a BOC directive on their balikbayan boxes. The agency ordered random inspection of balibayan boxes to check for smuggled goods which were identified as “undervalued items” and “undeclared contents.”

OFWs sent a petition to stop the opening of balikbayan boxes or packages they send back to the country. — Rosette Adel

• Like 2

RogerDat

So if you are married to a Filipina, and you and her are in the US, she is not an OFW unless she is under contract, and her pass port is so stamped, so she cannot send a box to her family. Is this how you here read this rule

SkyMan
36 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

So if you are married to a Filipina, and you and her are in the US, she is not an OFW unless she is under contract, and her pass port is so stamped, so she cannot send a box to her family. Is this how you here read this rule

Have not seen they need to prove they're OFW, only that they're pinoy and sending to a related pinoy.

• Like 1

bounder

Maybe I missed it in the discussion above, but if I am not a Filipino and am not married to a Filipina and the boxes are being sent by my American relatives (not Filipinos) in the USA, then I cannot use this service....Is this what is being written? 

RogerDuMond
3 hours ago, RogerDat said:

It only says that a photocopy of the Bio page of the passport needs to be supplied so how would they know if she is an OFW or not?

The article also says that proof of dual citizenship needs to be provided and my question would be why would you even claim dual citizenship for a BB box?

• Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, bounder said:

Maybe I missed it in the discussion above, but if I am not a Filipino and am not married to a Filipina and the boxes are being sent by my American relatives (not Filipinos) in the USA, then I cannot use this service....Is this what is being written? 

What it says is boxes can only be sent from pinoy to a relative here.  This will create a new career path where Filipinos throughout the world will charge for the services of sending your box of stuff to their relative here who then forwards it to you.  Now I have also seen reported in other places that there is a p10K limit per box and p150K per year.  I don't know if those limits apply to the sender, receiver, or both.  Nor do I know how this will be tracked.  But it looks like a whole PITA coming down.

If the p10K limit is true I really can't see much value in using BBBoxes anymore.  It costs about p5K to send a box so is it really worth it to send?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

bounder

I currently have four boxes of used clothing in the system right now and three or more boxes of used clothing coming in September.  The items are handed out to the needy and poor in my area.  I have been doing this for years, but under the new regulations, I doubt if those who are providing the clothing will want to face the hassle involved any more....not to mention the senders are not Filipino. 

In my opinion, the only people that will benefit is the BOC, while the people who have everything to gain by the benevolence of others will suffer as the shipments of clothing will cease.

Edited by bounder
  • Like 1

Salty Dog
18 minutes ago, bounder said:

What I meant to say that, if I am NOT MARRIED to a Filipina and am having non-filipino relatives in the states sending me balikbayan boxes, they won't be able to send them any longer? 

I currently have four boxes of used clothing in the system right now and three or more boxes of used clothing coming in September.  The items are handed out to the needy and poor in my area.  I have been doing this for years, but under the new regulations, I doubt if those who are providing the clothing will want to face the hassle involved any more....not to mention the senders are not Filipino. 

In my opinion, the only people that will benefit is the BOC, while the people who have everything to gain by the benevolence of others will suffer as the shipments of clothing will cease.

Even if you don't qualify to use balikbayan boxes program, you can still have things mailed or shipped to you.

Members have been doing that for years with smaller items.

SkyMan
34 minutes ago, bounder said:

I'm pretty sure I saw that used clothing is one of the prohibited items for BBBoxes.  And if you think about it, you could probably buy more clothes at OkayX2 for the $100 it costs to send a box than you could fit in one.

• Like 1

delancey

I can't imagine this country creating more bureaucracy and paperwork. Not their style.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

RogerDat

Well, if my wife 9 Filipino) goes to America, and sends me (her relative) a box, it is OK?

Used clothing destroys the local tailor industry, so that is why no used clothing, BUT, if it is YOUR clothing your sending back to save on airplane luggage charges, it is OK?

SkyMan

I've always used used clothes for packing material and considered them as such.  With the new rules though, who knows.

RogerDuMond
45 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

Well, if my wife 9 Filipino) goes to America, and sends me (her relative) a box, it is OK?

Used clothing destroys the local tailor industry, so that is why no used clothing, BUT, if it is YOUR clothing your sending back to save on airplane luggage charges, it is OK?

yes and yes