Balikbayan Boxes New Rules Aug 1, 2017

smokey

the reason for the list is so this Christmas they will know which presents to open...

• Like 2
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Jester

• RogerDat

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) will no longer have to submit a proof of purchase for items inside balikbayan boxes sent to the Philippines, as the Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Thursday said it suspen

I can't imagine this country creating more bureaucracy and paperwork. Not their style.

We have just sent two twelve cubic feet and a 14 qubic feet boxes, they were collected a week ago,  same sizes we have always sent, nothing was done differently than we have ever done, the d

Posted Images

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

However, it seems everyone here is always giving my wife clothes. She's acquired enough extra clothes to fill a BB box, so it looks like we will be sending one in the near future.

Oddly, used clothing is something you're not supposed to put in BBBoxes.  However, used clothing makes great packing material.  If you do send clothing I recommend getting some of those vacuum packs to suck a pile of clothes down to wafer size.  

I wonder if I'd declared my lawn mower if it still would have gotten through.

Headshot
3 hours ago, Richard K said:

hmmm.. that is going to put some Filipino's out of business in the states.. the guy I shipped LBC from in Albany NY told me 90% of his business was not Filipino but Americans (like me) shipping to either move or to g/f,wife. He also said he got alot of business from guys coming back for a visit and sending to themselves back in the PI...

Naw. I just showed what the intent was. Intent and reality are often wildly different ... especially here in the Philippines.

A_Simple_Man
5 hours ago, Headshot said:

The BB privileges are meant for Filipinos returning to the Philippines.

Since the CMO (Customs Memorandum Order) changes every 6 months or so, who's to say what the BB boxes are really meant for today?  It changes all the time.

On 30 June 1987, then Philippine President Corazon Aquino enacted Executive Order No. 206.[4] This order amended Section 105 (f) and added a new subsection (f-1) to Republic Act No. 1937, also known as the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines, which was signed into law on 22 July 1957 by former president Carlos P. Garcia.[5]

The amended Section 105 of the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines provides duty- and tax-free privileges to balikbayan boxes sent to the Philippines by overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) as recognition of the magnitude of their contribution and sacrifices in foreign lands as well as bringing of a considerable amounts of foreign exchange annually that contributed to the national recovery effort at that time.[4] This allowed tax-free entry of personal goods in the country from Filipinos overseas. People then began sending balikbayan boxes through friends and co-workers who were returning to the Philippines.

But as shown avove, Wikipedia does mention the benefit to the national recovery effort in 1987 by allowing tax free goods into the country.  I guess they figure the country has recovered now :sarcasm:

Richard K

I hope this is not so...I was gonna load one up with American Spam next time I went back....lol

• Administrator
Salty Dog
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Oddly, used clothing is something you're not supposed to put in BBBoxes.  However, used clothing makes great packing material.  If you do send clothing I recommend getting some of those vacuum packs to suck a pile of clothes down to wafer size....

Most of the clothes look like they've never been worn. In fact some appear to be brand new. 

Good idea with the vacuum bags.

lolhahaha

Now there will be another way for those shipping companies to make money.

Mislabling boxes with actual Filipino sender names and passport rentals.

If they don't do this they will all go out of business.

Then when your box shows up in PI missing 1/2 of its contents you won't be able to do anything about it because technically you didn't send it.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Oddly, used clothing is something you're not supposed to put in BBBoxes....

After thinking about what you said, I'm not sure that's correct. I know used clothes aren't supposed to be shipped to be resold, but I've never seen where they can't be sent in a BB Box.

Think about it. The whole idea was so returning OFWs could send their stuff back cheaply and not have to carry it with them on the plane. Stuff almost for sure would include their used clothes.

The BOC info sheet says Personal Effects are allowed and defines them as follows:

bbb.JPG

• Like 2
bcchance

August 1st, new policy. New form to be filled out and going to cause much delay. Just a heads up, as they now want copies of your passport/visas - both sender and receiver, and a far more detailed itemized list with values of each item the main focus.

Packinglist-v3.pdf

• Thanks 1
delancey
43 minutes ago, bcchance said:

August 1st, new policy. New form to be filled out and going to cause much delay. Just a heads up, as they now want copies of your passport/visas - both sender and receiver, and a far more detailed itemized list with values of each item the main focus.

Packinglist-v3.pdf

The document implies you must be both related and Filipino to legally send a box.

bcchance
Just now, delancey said:

The document implies you must be both related and Filipino to legally send a box.

Exactly! This is the NEW policy, August 1st. I am shipping a travel, airline approved dog crate here (amazon prime day deal) and this is what my delay is. They want copies of visas now to get past this, and the company is not sure how it will work. They are all in a panic because busy season is arriving, and the delays are going to be immense. I have sent over 100 plus boxes and items in my 10 years here, not married....not once have I had an issue, aside from a delay in Manila here and there. Thankfully I have had my fill of this armpit, and am going back to the USA....but need that travel crate for my very large dog.

• Like 3
  • The BOC will implement a new rule on August 1 which would entail stricter rules regarding sending and receiving balikbayan boxes
  • The new order aims to prevent smuggling on imported items
  • Read the full details below
The Bureau of Customs recently announced that they will issue a memorandum that would implement stricter rules in sending and receiving Balikbayan boxes abroad.
According to the Door-to-door Consolidators Association of the Philippines (DDCAP), every year, 5 million Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) send boxes to their loved ones here in the Philippines.
Because of the newer and stricter rules of the BOC regarding sending boxes, the DDCAP could possibly halt all deliveries coming from foreign countries.
Atty. James Ian L. Dela Vega, the legal counsel of DDCAP, says that they are doing this in order to comply with Customs Memorandum order 04-2017 which will be implemented starting August 1.
Under this, OFWs won’t be able to simply send balikbayan boxes whenever they wish to do so. The new rules entail stricter measures such as listing down each item inside the box and declaring whether they are new or second-hand.
New items must have the receipt intact inside the box.
The sender also has to prove that he/she is Filipino by providing a copy of their passport along with the package.
The receiver must be a relative of the sender. Otherwise, additional taxes might be charged towards the sender.
Should the box miss any one of these requirements, the DDCAP says that the box might undergo a thorough inspection which would delay the sending process for 15-20 more days. Aside from these, the BOC could also charge certain duties and taxes on the sender should he/she fail to give complete documents.
“That’s a declaration you are declaring what’s inside the box, basic naman yan sa customs all over the world you have to declare what you are importing,”  says Athena Dans, Chief of the Informal Entry Division at Manila International Container Port.
This new rule aims to prevent smuggling and to charge proper taxes on certain items.
“Kami sa Bureau of Customs, we have to protect government revenues. Sila naman kasi, negosyo yung sa kanila,” added Athena Dans.
The BOC reminds OFWs to check if their forwarding company of choice is registered in order to ensure that there would be no delays.
Watch the video below to find out more about this new memorandum:
sugbu777

Hmmm....wonder if that will affect boxes already enroute. My guess is, it probably will. "Its More Fun"

We used to fill up the boxes with stuff from yard sales (used clothes etc). Can you imagine asking for a receipt from someone conducting a yard sale?!

Edited by sugbu777
Soarking

Me thinks a lot of boxes will end up missing.    Espically the ones with new stuff in them.   

A whole new world of corruption in the making.     And just in time for the Christmas season.

The Bureau of Customs and workers on the docks and responsible for moving and storing the boxes all say THANK YOU for the wonderful Christmas presents in advance.    

• Like 5
Jester

Right before this was announced we shipped off 3 box's.   The LBC official agent had no idea this was coming!  So now we have to sit and wait and hope for the best.  Might be a good thing the wife sends too much crap anyway.

IMG_0005.JPG

• Like 1