Philvocs exec: Cebu fault lines cross 6 cities, 11 towns

THE Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Philvocs) identified 17 areas in Cebu where fault lines are found. Dr. Renato Solidum Jr., Department of Science and Technology (DOST) undersecretary and Philvocs director, during a lecture said that the Cebu fault line system cuts through the cities of Danao, Naga, Toledo, Talisay, Carcar, and Cebu City; and in the towns of Compostela, Balamban, Minglanilla, Sibonga, Argao, Badian, Moalboal, Alegria, Dalaguete, Alcoy and Boljoon.

During the event, Solidum also announced that the Philvocs developed an app called FaultFinder, which can be downloaded through Google Play for those who are using Android phones. A web version is also available. In the app, one can find the distance of any house or a building relative to any fault line in the Philippines.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/07/26/philvocs-exec-cebu-fault-lines-cross-6-cities-11-towns-555191

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

New fault line in Negros

http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1005297

Remember back in 2012 w my first bigger quake 6.8 w epicenter only 10 km from my house but on Negros side. Pagasa said no known fault line there. This new one for them.

Me thinks a lot of work left for folks in Pagasa...

Oh, no damage back in 2012, only water splashed out of pool. But have to kow-tow front of mighty nature. Cannot stand up.

• Thanks 1
hyaku

Don't pagasa know this? If you live on here you take your chances. The biggest tsunami caused damage 4500 km away from the epicentre.

28481.jpg

RogerDat

Well Mactan is pretty much out of the tsunami danger area because it is surrounded by other islands.

Headshot
1 hour ago, RogerDat said:

Well Mactan is pretty much out of the tsunami danger area because it is surrounded by other islands.

There are six faults running through the Bohol Straits between Cebu and Bohol. It really depends on what fault lets loose, what type of shift is given (lateral or vertical) and the magnitude of the earthquake as to whether or not Mactan is out of tsunami danger.

Edited by Headshot
SkyMan
On 7/27/2017 at 10:39 AM, RR3 said:

A web version is also available.

I guess they mean this:

http://faultfinder.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/

How nice of the author to provide the link.  On the first screen you have the choice of Valley Fault system (Manila) or Other fault systems (everywhere else).