Would folding a tire for a couple months damage it?

SkyMan

Ok, not really folding it, just kind of bending it a lot.  My bike came with Metzeler ME880 tires and they're ok but don't last as long as I'd like and I'm not really hard on them.  I'm on the third rear now which has fairly good tread left but the front is getting pretty smooth.  I've been looking on Raider and other big bike forums and the Michelin Commander II seems to be popular for rideability as well as lasting significantly longer than the Metzeler.  But the only one I can locate locally is again the Metzeler.  So I\d like to send a set of the Michelins to a friend for BBBox shipment but that front tire is 21" so it much have at least a 28" OD even without air.  That makes it a little tough to pack neatly in a 22" square BBBox.  So I'm wondering if it can be folder sideways maybe 90 degrees and tied and then the two folded points drawn closer together and tied to fit in the box better.  And then stuff packed around it and left in the box like that for a couple months.  Would that perhaps cause permanent damage to the belts of beads?  I don't really want to spend $200+ for a tire that wobbles down the road.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Should not be a problem if it's a new tire. Many come like that. I would suggest using inner tubes and that helps keep the shape. Also, If you put "Slime" into the inner tube it will help plug tiny leaks.

spydoo

It's not the way I'd go. Don't some companies will take odd size cargo at a comparable bb rate?

shadow
23 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Ok, not really folding it, just kind of bending it a lot.  My bike came with Metzeler ME880 tires and they're ok but don't last as long as I'd like and I'm not really hard on them.  I'm on the third rear now which has fairly good tread left but the front is getting pretty smooth.  I've been looking on Raider and other big bike forums and the Michelin Commander II seems to be popular for rideability as well as lasting significantly longer than the Metzeler.  But the only one I can locate locally is again the Metzeler.  So I\d like to send a set of the Michelins to a friend for BBBox shipment but that front tire is 21" so it much have at least a 28" OD even without air.  That makes it a little tough to pack neatly in a 22" square BBBox.  So I'm wondering if it can be folder sideways maybe 90 degrees and tied and then the two folded points drawn closer together and tied to fit in the box better.  And then stuff packed around it and left in the box like that for a couple months.  Would that perhaps cause permanent damage to the belts of beads?  I don't really want to spend $200+ for a tire that wobbles down the road.

One of the reasons the tires here don't last as long is they are a softer compound, for better traction on wet roads. Just FYI.

• Like 2
SkyMan
36 minutes ago, shadow said:

One of the reasons the tires here don't last as long is they are a softer compound, for better traction on wet roads. Just FYI.

Well, Metzeler is a German company so probably not designing specifically for the Philippines.  But yes, they are designed soft for wet roads and/or hard cornering.  I ride pretty tame most of the time (no autobahn speed) and especially in the rain, so really I could go with a harder tire no problem.  

• Like 1
Jester

I don't know about bike tires, but the only thing Michelin is best at is spending money on advertising! Now that you have my 2 peso's worth of opinion.

LBC large box is 29 inch corner to corner.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

• Like 1
Fish Sandwich

As long as you are not creasing the beads or belts, it should be fine. However, have you tried Lazada for your tires?

Michelin with cash on delivery:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=michelin tires&delivery_and_payment=cash_on_delivery&sort=popularity&viewType=gridView&fs=1

It's really changed my way of shopping and even lifestyle here in the Phils (If it didn't fit in my suitcase, I was simply going without in many cases). No more treasure hunts. I've bought cell phones, a laptop, supplements, dehumidifier, etc... so far so good. With cash on delivery, I don't see how you can go wrong (assuming you're buying quality stuff). Items fulfilled by Lazada comes in 2-3 days. They seem to have the shipping aspect figured out.

I'll most likely be buying my next set of tires off there with that exact search above. I was told the Michelins come out of Thailand. I have a set on one of my bikes already (not purchased on Lazada). They are a year old with very little wear.

• Like 3
digger canuck

Having used Michelin Pilots and Pirelli Diablos on both my Honda super 4's here in Cebu the most I could get out of rear tires was 8k km, nice and sticky compound but in my opinion just too soft a compound for the climate and cement roads here. My last 2 sets of tires I reluctantly at first tried Shinko Korean brand from Drei Bikes here isn Cebu and so far been very happy with both performance and lifespan and a savings of at least 30% over the others.

shadow
9 minutes ago, digger canuck said:

Having used Michelin Pilots and Pirelli Diablos on both my Honda super 4's here in Cebu the most I could get out of rear tires was 8k km, nice and sticky compound but in my opinion just too soft a compound for the climate and cement roads here. My last 2 sets of tires I reluctantly at first tried Shinko Korean brand from Drei Bikes here isn Cebu and so far been very happy with both performance and lifespan and a savings of at least 30% over the others.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am running Shinkos on my YBR. Loved them the first 5000 km, but very rough ride now at 10,000 km, and about 20% life left. I'll be going back to Fujis next, not as good a tire but one third the cost (P1600/pair as opposed to P4500+). I get 8000 to 10,000 KM out of the Fujis.

SkyMan
On 7/24/2017 at 8:42 PM, Fish Sandwich said:

As long as you are not creasing the beads or belts, it should be fine. However, have you tried Lazada for your tires?

Michelin with cash on delivery:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=michelin tires&delivery_and_payment=cash_on_delivery&sort=popularity&viewType=gridView&fs=1

It's really changed my way of shopping and even lifestyle here in the Phils (If it didn't fit in my suitcase, I was simply going without in many cases). No more treasure hunts. I've bought cell phones, a laptop, supplements, dehumidifier, etc... so far so good. With cash on delivery, I don't see how you can go wrong (assuming you're buying quality stuff). Items fulfilled by Lazada comes in 2-3 days. They seem to have the shipping aspect figured out.

I'll most likely be buying my next set of tires off there with that exact search above. I was told the Michelins come out of Thailand. I have a set on one of my bikes already (not purchased on Lazada). They are a year old with very little wear.

Unfortunately they don't have my size.