Sign in to follow this  
forest51

insulation batts

forest51

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy insulation batts to put in ceiling/ roof cavity to keep heat out?? Thanks in advance

f3a9b820-c5b7-4e81-9225-aa18d61dcef5.png

contraman

Where I come from we put insulation to keep heat in, (Hot air rises etc)

Wouldn't a roof vent be better ? :idontknow:

• Like 2

Salty Dog

There's a difference between Conduction, Convection, and Radiation...

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Soarking

They just make a nice home for the rats.

Your not in Kansas anymore Forest.

RogerDat

WOW, for once all hands on deck are right, and in agreement with each other.

I use a solid, Styrofoam LIKE material that is sold in 4x8x 4" sheets, is non rat liked, does not support fire, and is easy to install. I also have radiant barrier under roof, above insulation, above ceiling, and have good ventilation. look in yellow pages under insulation. The fiberglass bats will absorb water if you have a roof leak, and are not usable when wet. Be sure to test the foam product sample with a match outside the store. They have several kinds and grades, all will retreat from the match when applied, and will not support combustion.

lefonk

RogerDat, may i know where you bought those Styrofoams ? And an idea of the price would be perfect too.

Thanks

RogerDuMond

When insulating my meat cooler, I used multiple layers of 4' x 8' x 1" solid styrofoam sheets purchased from Gaisano. I have no recollection of the price.

govoner

Try   S.A. Styropor  Paridel street, Alang-Alang Mandaue  phone +63 32 3462303

They do the 8x4 sheets 4 inches thick  non flammable

• Thanks 1

mfishmike
On 7/21/2017 at 11:15 AM, forest51 said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy insulation batts to put in ceiling/ roof cavity to keep heat out?? Thanks in advance

f3a9b820-c5b7-4e81-9225-aa18d61dcef5.png

I installed many walk in coolers and walk in freezers.  4" Styrofoam is what is used in the walls of these medium and low temp units found in restaurants and on boats/ships.  I would recommend that you use Styrofoam more than Fiberglas batt insulation which collapses within a few years.   Rat's and mice love to make homes in Fiberglas batt insulation. 

Edited by mfishmike
info change

RogerDat

it's "like " Styrofoam, but is not Styrofoam. It is rigid foam insulation that you want as it does not support combustion.

That company also makes Styrofoam food containers which will burn, so do a test outside with a sample to verify which they sell you.

Soarking
15 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

it's "like " Styrofoam, but is not Styrofoam. It is rigid foam insulation that you want as it does not support combustion.

That company also makes Styrofoam food containers which will burn, so do a test outside with a sample to verify which they sell you.

The white stuff that food containers are made of just like the so called styrofoam you get in packaging around appliances is not really styrofoam.   It is what is known as bead board.  Totally different stuff completely.   Easy to tell by cutting or breaking.  If it forms little balls it's not styrofoam.   True styrofoam does not leave these beads when cut.    It's typically way denser, stronger and heavier.   In the US most of it was also a blue in color.

And just because it does not support combustion does not mean if burnt it does not give off toxic fumes or heavy black deadly smoke when burnt or exposed to heat.   There are other factors that need to be considered when using these materials in buildings besides if it supports combustion.

just like the stuff you get from foam-O-fill cans is actually polyurethane foam.  Although when dry it looks like styrofoam.

Edited by Soarking