Sign in to follow this  
Irish_Geo

Bannock - Flour, water, brown sugar, rasins and frying pan = Bread :)

Irish_Geo

After spending a bit of time in the Philippines, and trying all the different breads I thought I'd share this as its something 'bready' and tasty that I can make at the Wifes place without needing an oven.

Is something I would prepare in a ziplock bag before going camping back home.  Just add water, mix and cook at the campsite.

My mix is just x2 flour, x1 milk powder, powdered egg, brown sugar, touch of baking soda and some rasins.

I'm sure some of the members on here from the USA that have been camping before have heard of and / or made bannock but I didnt see anything about it when I searched this section of the forum.

There are many recipies online with various ingredients.

You just mix the ingredients by hand with water, plop into a buttered / oiled frying pan and cook it and you have a tasty, bready snack.

Just remember, for whatever reason, its considered unlucky to cut bannock.

Just tear it apart with your hands and get intae it ;)

Heres one recipe link from the interwebs..

Bannock...

Edited by Irish_Geo
To add one recipe link
  • Like 2

cebubird
5 hours ago, Irish_Geo said:

After spending a bit of time in the Philippines, and trying all the different breads I thought I'd share this as its something 'bready' and tasty that I can make at the Wifes place without needing an oven.

Is something I would prepare in a ziplock bag before going camping back home.  Just add water, mix and cook at the campsite.

My mix is just x2 flour, x1 milk powder, powdered egg, brown sugar, touch of baking soda and some rasins.

I'm sure some of the members on here from the USA that have been camping before have heard of and / or made bannock but I didnt see anything about it when I searched this section of the forum.

There are many recipies online with various ingredients.

You just mix the ingredients by hand with water, plop into a buttered / oiled frying pan and cook it and you have a tasty, bready snack.

Just remember, for whatever reason, its considered unlucky to cut bannock.

Just tear it apart with your hands and get intae it ;)

Heres one recipe link from the interwebs..

Bannock...

Sounds little like old fashioned flapjacks.