Sign in to follow this  
villagerNo8

solar panels

villagerNo8

anyone use or have an interest in solar power?

heres a list of philippine sellers and some others http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/...r/pvM/pvM.shtml

this would be handy during blackouts etc..at the very least use it to run your lighting in your home and cut down some costs

sheffieldmel

heres a list of philippine sellers and some others http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/...r/pvM/pvM.shtml

this would be handy during blackouts etc..at the very least use it to run your lighting in your home and cut down some costs

Looked at the site but cant find any prices, i would be interested the blackouts are a pain my power went of in the last few seconds of the superbowl

aussiedon

I too was looking for solar panels here a while ago. I could not find a supplier who sold solar panels big enough for my requirement. You will need some big and quite a few to back up your home for blackouts. you will also need a big inverter and a suitable battery bank. Actually its quite a costly exercise to set up initially.

I only got as far as buying a 3500watt sinewave inverter which cost about $600 which is still in the box. I'm not going ahead with that project and any blackouts that we have I'll live with.It gives me an excuse to start drinking the stock of San Mig's in the fridge before they go hot.

Bukwali

I use an 80ah car battery for lighting when we experience brown outs, I could add a small 400w inverter to run a fan and the TV. but generally the brown outs are short lived so the lighting is enough, once in a while I charge the battery with a standard 12v car battery charger. my plan in time is to purchase a small diesel generator, convert it from string pull start to battery start, run a trickle charge from the generator back to the batteries, from the batteries run out cables for 12v lighting one light in each apartment, and from the generator run out cables for one double power outlet in each apartment, there's a lot of talk about Cebu facing major power issues in the near future so I want to prepare for the worst, not to mention having a basic power back up in each apartment will help with rentals, it would be nice to use solar but the panels are still to expensive,

John

overthere-really

"there's a lot of talk about Cebu facing major power issues in the near future "

I think that's an understatement. The Philippines imports almost all of its energy needs. They are and will compete against many richer countries to meet their needs in the future. I think PI energy costs are the second highest in the world now and higher as time goes by.

You should be able to run that diesel generator on just about any kind of waste oil if you set up a good filtration and mixing system. The parts are all available off the shelf too.

I'd like to find out about cell manufacturers in PI too as I plan to supply as much of my own power as I can when I move there.

overthere-really
found this here http://www.bworldonline.com/BW020408/content.php?id=054

Monday, February 04, 2008 | MANILA, PHILIPPINES

The Economy

Philippines seen as possible hub for solar panel making

THE PHILIPPINES could be the world’s manufacturing hub for solar or photovoltaic (PV) panels — an industry estimated to be worth $25 billion by 2010 — renewable energy advocates said at the recent energy summit.

"It [Philippines] now has the highest performance solar manufacturing capability in the world, yet a very small PV market today," said SunPower Corp. Miguel Trinidad country director of finance.

SunPower is a California-based company which manufactures high-performance solar electric systems worldwide. It plans to invest as much as $8.8 billion in its semiconductor wafer fabrication facility in Laguna, which churns out photovoltaic cells.

"The Philippines has an opportunity to capture the ’solar economy’ and capture the ’next semiconductor’ growth industry; yet, forward looking legislation is needed," reiterated Mr. Trinidad.

a bit old.. i wonder if anything happened about it because surely it would make the product much cheaper if built locally as opposed to importing

I think that looks like good news No8.

I won't be able to afford too much stuff that's imported.

Looks like Sun Power has a manufacturing plant established in PI.

http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.p...rticle_id=66969

A Japanese company;

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2007/j...070731bus8.html -still in the investment stage; "He said this expansion will be made over the next three years."

This company produces 70% of the glass for the domestic market. I think they'll be around a while.

When I have the time I'll look closer into what's available for DIY micro power generation and post it here.

kc8ual

There is a place downtown near the piers, I cannot remember where exactly but I saw some panels for sale there the other day. You can also make your own if you have the time. I am working on getting the main ingredient for making dye sensitive solar panels. One of my neighbors told me earlier today that he thinks they use it at his work but wasn't sure; he find out Monday.

This company produces 70% of the glass for the domestic market. I think they'll be around a while.

You know, I read something about domestic glass....

I can't remember where exactly but looking up will yield surprising results. Domestic made glass is way over priced, that company in question got the government to put high tarrifs on imported glass so they would not have any competition and even with those high tarrifs, the imported glass is still much cheaper.

-Nick