Sign in to follow this  
Derick

Birth cert name change

Derick

Hi every one, need advise this may have been answered previously.
Girl Friend was in a previous relationship with Phils man and they had a baby. He at the time gave all the assurances that he would take care of her so the child's name was put in his.
Needles to say but child maintenance was never paid and the relationship broke down permanently. He has subsequently fathered another child. who he does not support either.
The type of person he is,is irrelevant but to say he is a bit of a druggie.According to GF
She broke off all contact with him soon after the child was born and no contact since.
My question how to get the name changed to her mothers. So when we marry i can adopt her.
She holds a responsible job works diligently for the last 3 years and supports her daughter who lives with her Mother.
This is causing my GF no end of heart ache and if i can in some way sort this problem it will help expedite our relationship back home.

SkyMan

To see if I understand this correctly, the child's last name is his last name and not her last name on the BC.  Is that correct?  

Her (GF's) full name is correctly listed as the mother on the child's BC.  Is that also correct?

And finally, you plan to marry her and take the 2 of them to be family in Ireland (perhaps take them to Ireland and marry her there), yes?

I have no idea on Irish Immigration but if you were American I don't think there would be a problem and no need for adoption at least until after married and in country.  If she is the mother on the BC she can take the child out of the country without his permission.  An American would either marry and then apply for a spousal visa and include her child or for a fiance visa again including the child.  There are more expert members on the site though.

Edited by SkyMan

Paul
19 minutes ago, Derick said:

My question how to get the name changed to her mothers. So when we marry i can adopt her.

Name change on a birth certificate? That is going to get complicated. I don't recall all of the steps and information necessary. But, I can tell you this, you had better pack a lunch.

19 minutes ago, Derick said:

This is causing my GF no end of heart ache and if i can in some way sort this problem it will help expedite our relationship back home.

You might as well take "expedite" out of any sentence you speak, for a while to come.

1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

If she is the mother on the BC she can take the child out of the country without his permission.

Do you know this to be true? From my understanding, he will need to be notified, due to being the child's blood father. 

• Like 3

SkyMan
21 minutes ago, Paul said:

Do you know this to be true? 

This has been brought up quite a few times and the most recent times this has been the answer absolutely 100% true.  Unless it's changed.  Waiting for the expert to confirm/deny.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Changing the name on the BC...I kind of don't think it would be possible in this case because it wasn't a misspelling or other simple error.  That was the correct name at the time and she only decided it was an error later.If you were American I would say to A) get married here cause it's cheaper than there.  B) Spousal visa with the child  C) Adopt her in the US and her name corrected to whatever you two want at that time.  I would assume Ireland has similar abilities.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Derick

I will get the correct answer to all questions when i speak to her as far as i can recall he is listed as the father on birth-cert and she the mother.

1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

To see if I understand this correctly, the child's last name is his last name and not her last name on the BC.  Is that correct?  

Her (GF's) full name is correctly listed as the mother on the child's BC.  Is that also correct?

And finally, you plan to marry her and take the 2 of them to be family in Ireland (perhaps take them to Ireland and marry her there), yes?

I have no idea on Irish Immigration but if you were American I don't think there would be a problem and no need for adoption at least until after married and in country.  If she is the mother on the BC she can take the child out of the country without his permission.  An American would either marry and then apply for a spousal visa and include her child or for a fiance visa again including the child.  There are more expert members on the site though.

Ozepete

Might be best if the mother can get the father to relinquish his parenting giving her sole custody. Best without mention of an expat. Otherwise she can't get the child out of the country as it takes permission from both parents or from her alone if she can get the useless prick to give her sole custody. Like others have indicated, have the BC altered is not going to happen. 

Suggest she uses 'sign this or start paying up for the child'....... Worked for us. 

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 2

Derick

replies have explained a

5 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

Might be best if the mother can get the father to relinquish his parenting giving her sole custody. Best without mention of an expat. Otherwise she can't get the child out of the country as it takes permission from both parents or from her alone if she can get the useless prick to give her sole custody. Like others have indicated, have the BC altered is not going to happen. 

Suggest she uses 'sign this or start paying up for the child'....... Worked for us. 

lot i have already told her to keep her gob shut and not even tell her sister or mother till it is all sorted

Jawny

I can't provide information about the immigration issues, whether both parents need to allow travel outside the country.  However, for adoption it can be an issue if their is a biological father associated with the birth record.  Ireland may have different concerns over this.  However, the Philippines court will want to be assured their is no objection from the father.  I went through an adoption here.  The child is represented by the solicitor general and will want to be sure the biological father has relinquished his parental rights.  

I'm pretty sure there are some older threads on this in LinC. 

• Like 2

Derick

it is great to be cheered up when one is in a lot of physical pain.

My new hip feels fine now.

Derick

it would break her heart to be without her child and not do our relationship much good either.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

Otherwise she can't get the child out of the country as it takes permission from both parents

This is no longer true.  The question comes up occasionally and most recently it has been posted that the father doesn't have a say.  About 3 years ago a friend of mine's wife left here to be with him in the US with her daughter and no mention of the father was ever made.  I would still not make mention to the father as it could possibly be that he could make some legal stink about it.  You know how lawyers are always ready to jump in where they don't belong to make a few pesos.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

shadow

We have gotten visas for and sent numerous kids overseas without the Father being notified.

• Like 4

Derick

Her name is on birth cert.

there has been no contact since day of delivery. the child is now 3.

i have a son who is paying child maintenance for the last 11 years he is now married to a different woman,

wouldn't i love to get my hands on this low life creep

Richard K

Unfortunately, it is a pretty common story here ..of a guy knocking up a young woman and then just moving on to do it again..maybe several more times with no support to the offspring.

I don't know about if the guy would have to sign off if you were to adopt... I would try to not have him find out about it ..or you.. I have friends that were hit for payment because of this sort of thing.. I am assuming she was not actually married to this particular Dong?...