Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Thalcoozyo

Portable Generator - where to buy?

Recommended Posts

Jester
32 minutes ago, Paul said:

How is it ventilated? Or, do you just run it with the lid open?

I'm probably better off not building my own gas tank!

On the inlet end is an opening above the control panel, that is the intake air.  The case itself is actually designed to cool the generator and then the hot air is exhaused, under pressure actually as the Honda has a cooling fan.  I have a opening on the inlet side and the exhaust end is isolated from the inlet side.

The exhaust and hot air go into a chamber then up and then pulled down by a fan and exhausted, This is a baffle to keep sound down  Actually very simple and there are tons of info on the net on how to do it,  from rubbermaid containers to custom designed aluminum box's.   They are based on the Honda sound box.

 

 

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

Files are too large and I did not feel like resizing. Can't see it in the photos but on the inlet side there is a screened opening in the box, that is also baffled to keep sound down.  This box is more for security than sound dampening, I did not want to spend the big bucks for proper sound deadening material.

 

If weight is not an issue a box can be built from 3/4" plywood and drywall and be fairly quiet.

The important thing is separating the intake air from the exhaust air, they cannot mix or the machine will overheat and burn up.

IMG_0907.JPG

honda.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul
2 hours ago, Jester said:

This box is more for security than sound dampening

As quiet as they are, I an just going to build a locking welded cage, with a roof, to put mine in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester
1 hour ago, Paul said:

As quiet as they are, I an just going to build a locking welded cage, with a roof, to put mine in. 

If I wanted it for only around the house that is what I would do. Even if you chain them to something they just cut the handle, it's only plastic!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul
4 minutes ago, Jester said:

If I wanted it for only around the house that is what I would do. Even if you chain them to something they just cut the handle, it's only plastic!

Yeah, I have seen some reiforced handles to mount to the unit. I wouldn't go through all that trouble. A cage is more than sufficient. By the time they have started cutting the steel, the dogs will be on them. :)

I am going to find out if it is legal to own a shotgun here. If so, get some shells and fill 'em with rock salt (sea salt). That will fix 'em up as they are running away. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred42

After looking at the Honda reviews,looks like they are the best of the best...The model in the video below is the one I need but at about 180 K it`s making me think twice! 

Need to scour Ebay for a bargain I guess..

Cant believe how quiet it is with a 3000 watt load!

 

Edited by fred42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul
3 hours ago, fred42 said:

After looking at the Honda reviews,looks like they are the best of the best...The model in the video below is the one I need but at about 180 K it`s making me think twice! 

Need to scour Ebay for a bargain I guess..

Cant believe how quiet it is with a 3000 watt load!

 

If I were going to do that, I would just buy a Denyo diesel generator. 15kva, here anyway, runs $3,500 USD, new. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul

Keep in mind here, @fred42 - and others, Honda has the market sewn up, regarding providing quality, long lasting generators - FOR THE SMALL GENERATOR MARKET. But, they really aren't competitive in a market, where you are getting up to whole house generators, and larger. 

Denyo, you may see, connected to banks and other businesses that are seeking reliable, long lasting generators too. While the small gensets will obviously not work for them, these larger units have very reliable names behind their engines, including Yanmar, Kubota, or Isuzu.

That's why I say, if I were going to buy a larger generator - oh, anything over 4,000 to 5,000 watts, I would definitely go with a Denyo over a Honda. Not to mention, I am pretty certain once you get into a 13 to 15kva genset, they will offer many more options, than will smaller units.

Check out this Denyo flier, for further information. 

Denyo_Gensets.pdf

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred42
3 hours ago, Paul said:

Keep in mind here, @fred42 - and others, Honda has the market sewn up, regarding providing quality, long lasting generators - FOR THE SMALL GENERATOR MARKET. But, they really aren't competitive in a market, where you are getting up to whole house generators, and larger. 

Denyo, you may see, connected to banks and other businesses that are seeking reliable, long lasting generators too. While the small gensets will obviously not work for them, these larger units have very reliable names behind their engines, including Yanmar, Kubota, or Isuzu.

That's why I say, if I were going to buy a larger generator - oh, anything over 4,000 to 5,000 watts, I would definitely go with a Denyo over a Honda. Not to mention, I am pretty certain once you get into a 13 to 15kva genset, they will offer many more options, than will smaller units.

Check out this Denyo flier, for further information. 

Denyo_Gensets.pdf

The reasons I like the look of these Honda`s is that its probably a certainty that parts and service are always available.. I`m not mechanically minded and when a machine doesn't work I call a mechanic...

Someone suggested I do as you say and get a 15/20/30 KVA water cooled diesel...But Im thinking what if it goes wrong?

These gen sets were recommended to me BTW..
https://stahl.petronne.com/product-category/kipor-generator/

Edited by fred42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny
4 minutes ago, fred42 said:

The reasons I like the look of these Honda`s is that its probably a certainty that parts and service are always available.. I`m not mechanically minded and when a machine doesn't work I call a mechanic...

Someone suggested I do as you say and get a 15/20/30 KVA water cooled diesel...But Im thinking what if it goes wrong?

These gen sets were recommended to me BTW..
https://stahl.petronne.com/product-category/kipor-generator/

I have found that some areas do NOT have the readily accessible parts and service.  What seems to be the case is that Honda Philippines gives some motorcycle distributors the label of certified repair facilities for their power products.  In reality, these are motorcycle mechanics and make as good a guess about what is wrong as a shade tree mechanic.  Even routine items like spark plugs and air filters need to be ordered.

Locally, there is usually mechanic who works on small engines, to include Hondas.  I have had reasonable success with some neighbors, but when it comes to details like carburetor adjustment, they are out of their league

That said, I've had several Honda generators since 2006 and the only issues have been clogged fuel lines. The fuel tanks on mine are made of low grade steel and rust easily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred42
53 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I have found that some areas do NOT have the readily accessible parts and service.  What seems to be the case is that Honda Philippines gives some motorcycle distributors the label of certified repair facilities for their power products.  In reality, these are motorcycle mechanics and make as good a guess about what is wrong as a shade tree mechanic.  Even routine items like spark plugs and air filters need to be ordered.

Locally, there is usually mechanic who works on small engines, to include Hondas.  I have had reasonable success with some neighbors, but when it comes to details like carburetor adjustment, they are out of their league

That said, I've had several Honda generators since 2006 and the only issues have been clogged fuel lines. The fuel tanks on mine are made of low grade steel and rust easily.

I just called the Mrs at our other place and told her to get our guy there to turn the fuel knob to OFF and run the genny till it stops.. She just phoned me to tell me that the knob was so tight that he used pliers and snapped the fecking thing..

One thing after another here!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

What Paul said for the larger gensets is spot on.    Another big advantage is diesel fuel is much easier to store and does not require the pampering that leaded gas does.

The shelf life on leaded gas is as short as 90 days.   Diesel will last for up to a year and longer.  Need to add biocides and stabilizers for longer term storage. But it is not gumming up the works while sitting there. Diesel used to last for years, but those days are over!

I still prefer LP for long term, LP can be stored with no issues till the tank rusts away!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester
6 minutes ago, fred42 said:

I just called the Mrs at our other place and told her to get our guy there to turn the fuel knob to OFF and run the genny till it stops.. She just phoned me to tell me that the knob was so tight that he used pliers and snapped the fecking thing..

One thing after another here!! 

It is more fun in the philippines,  Should drain the carburetor bowl also, but best not tell them that. If I run my genset on leaded gas, I run it dry on that then add some non ethanol gas and run it dry again.  Don't know if you have access to non ethanol?   The ethanol causes the problems. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey

i have had the same v power gas in my unit over 9 months I do drain the bowl and for repair I get a member to do that Vlad the Russian  fixes computers and rebuild my carb on my generator .... then he fixed my electric no bad for a Russian bus driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul
4 hours ago, fred42 said:

Someone suggested I do as you say and get a 15/20/30 KVA water cooled diesel...But Im thinking what if it goes wrong?

There will be a mechanic who is certified to work on a Denyo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..