Jump to content

Portable Generator - where to buy?


Recommended Posts

Soupeod
OK everyone... the latest news is that the power has returned!  On a rotational basis, with periodic brownouts, but at least it's back so they can charge phones, etc.   As to my original request... I still think I'm gonna look for a Honda portable generator, will likely NOT get an inverter model. However, I'd really like to hear from someone knowledgeable about how large of a generator would be needed for some house lights, a recently purchased refrigerator, and the TV?  Anyone know? 1000 is enough?  1500 to be safer?  more?
Why don't I want an inverter, you ask?  1) it really really drives the price upwards, quite significantly;  2) we're not running computers off it;  3) the only electronics being run is the TV and I know for a fact that it is doing just fine with daytime volts of 220 and nighttime volts of 165-170.  If it's held up to that kind of fluctuation, then it'll hold up to a regular generator's fluctuations.
Keep those good ideas flowin'... input is appreciated!

Check Tacloban, my Asawa's brother is going to pick up two gen sets today


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Paul

    12

  • Jester

    10

  • smokey

    4

  • fred42

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a reason Honda generators are more costly. Because they are both good and reliable. But, you can't have both "good" and "cheap". It doesn't work that way with generators. So, make up your min

And don't forget to send them 1,000 pesos a day for the gas to run it.  

I'm probably better off not building my own gas tank! On the inlet end is an opening above the control panel, that is the intake air.  The case itself is actually designed to cool the generator a

Posted Images

Goetz1965

Go and have a look at HMR Trading House - its in the SM Hypermarket building (near SM City).
They usually have a lot of 2nd hand generators - and also the biger industrial sizes.
I wouldnt go to buy one at ACE Hardware.


 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey

noisy generators really ... noisy is the music played at the mall   or the 10 foot tall speakers they set up at the door ... or a crowed restaurant .. generator is not noisy just a different noise

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul

Can't speak for anyone else here. But, as I previously stated, the Honda EU20i Inverter Generator is pretty quiet. A damned sight better than anything I ever owned in the Philippines. Here is a short video I just made, showing how loud one is, at various distances up to 4 meters:

@Thalcoozyo  have a look at this video. @toshi, you too.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
49 minutes ago, Paul said:

Can't speak for anyone else here. But, as I previously stated, the Honda EU20i Inverter Generator is pretty quiet. A damned sight better than anything I ever owned in the Philippines. Here is a short video I just made, showing how loud one is, at various distances up to 4 meters:

 

I used to have one of those that I used for my bowhunting and fishing trips in the Rocky Mountains, and they are indeed very quiet. It would easily power everything in my travel trailer, while being quiet enough that wild animals still fequently passed right by without being disturbed. The only problem I found with it was the small gas tank, which wouldn't last an entire night.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikala
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

The only problem I found with it was the small gas tank, which wouldn't last an entire night.

An extended fuel system works great with little Honda gensets. I had one installed on my outbuilding's Honda genset a few years back. :D

Extended fuel system.jpg

 

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965

I checked Amazon and they show that the Honda is also available in a LPG version 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-EU20i-Suitcase-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00L99W69Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412070300&sr=8-4&keywords=lpg+honda

So now I ask myself - where do I find those here in the philippines ... I dont like ending up on gasoline or diesel - especially when the tax on both will be raised over the next 5 years !

Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
54 minutes ago, Mikala said:

An extended fuel system works great with little Honda gensets. I had one installed on my outbuilding's Honda genset a few years back. :D

Extended fuel system.jpg

 

Definitely a good idea. It appears to be a gas tank for an outboard boat motor essentially.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
East Saxon
On 13/07/2017 at 8:44 AM, Thalcoozyo said:

Yep... I'm also of the opinion to go with Honda.  Honda's webpage doesn't show prices, but the prices I've seen on other webpages don't scare me too bad. I think I can swing the cash for a Honda.

Power requirement... yea, I agree, if you are charging cell phones, then go with a simple one. But as sure as God's green apples, there will be a time when that just isn't enough power. So I'm thinking go ahead and get a decent generator now that will handle most any situation. HOWEVER, Paul, your opinion is valued. So for the regular household with a refrig, some lights, and a beast of a water-pump, what do you suggest?

My opinion is to shoot for the 1-yr old refrig, some lights, and recharging phones... do you think a 1500 is big enough?

What say ye?

If you have a "beast of a water pump" you may need as much as 8kw to cope with its starting current

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester

One of the issues with the mighty little Honda when using for an RV is securing it. $1000 (US) sitting there on the ground. There is lots of info on the net about building sound/security box's (makes em quieter)

I use a 2000 for my RV in a modified truck tool box mounted on the rear.   It will run everything I need, just not all at once.  It will not run the 8000 btu window AC and the electric water heater at the same time.  Or the AC and the wifes blow dryer.   It will run the AC and the coffee maker which is all I care about.

I am tired of filling the tank and just got the new cap for the extended run tank in the mail.

 

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

Edited by Jester
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jester
On 7/14/2017 at 0:31 AM, Thalcoozyo said:

OK everyone... the latest news is that the power has returned!  On a rotational basis, with periodic brownouts, but at least it's back so they can charge phones, etc.   As to my original request... I still think I'm gonna look for a Honda portable generator, will likely NOT get an inverter model. However, I'd really like to hear from someone knowledgeable about how large of a generator would be needed for some house lights, a recently purchased refrigerator, and the TV?  Anyone know? 1000 is enough?  1500 to be safer?  more?

Why don't I want an inverter, you ask?  1) it really really drives the price upwards, quite significantly;  2) we're not running computers off it;  3) the only electronics being run is the TV and I know for a fact that it is doing just fine with daytime volts of 220 and nighttime volts of 165-170.  If it's held up to that kind of fluctuation, then it'll hold up to a regular generator's fluctuations.

Keep those good ideas flowin'... input is appreciated!

For a few lights, refrigerator etc.   A 1000 watt is likely sufficent.  When shopping the 1000 is not the running watts but the surge rating.   A small refrigerator might be 800 watts surge. * this is IMPORTANT and you need to know the surge or LRA, locked rotar amps of the fridge. The gen must exceed the LRA by 20%

One issue with the small non inverter gensets is they are crap, junk from China.  I have never seen a quality small non inverter genset.  Harbor freight sells a under $100 (US) 800 watt genny,  if you want to use it buy 10 when they are on sale!   There are other brands other than Honda for less money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul
5 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

I checked Amazon and they show that the Honda is also available in a LPG version 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-EU20i-Suitcase-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00L99W69Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412070300&sr=8-4&keywords=lpg+honda

So now I ask myself - where do I find those here in the philippines ... I dont like ending up on gasoline or diesel - especially when the tax on both will be raised over the next 5 years !

LPG systems for these are available in the USA, and probably Europe as well. They run cleaner on LPG, for sure. Not sure if the kits are available in much of SEA. Most nationals in this part of the world wouldn't spend the money to buy the generator, certainly not on an LPG conversion kit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul
7 hours ago, Headshot said:

The only problem I found with it was the small gas tank, which wouldn't last an entire night.

Literally, you can find TONs of YouTube videos, on how to (easily) convert Honda Inverter generators for longer run times. Some use "Jerry" cans, others, plastic boat fuel tanks, and others even homemade tanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul
3 hours ago, Jester said:

I use a 2000 for my RV in a modified truck tool box mounted on the rear. 

How is it ventilated? Or, do you just run it with the lid open?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..