Portable Generator - where to buy?

Thalcoozyo

Hey all, the family in So. Leyte are going to be in the dark (literally) for several more weeks, maybe as much as 4-6 weeks.  So now... let's close the barn door after the horse runs out!  hahaha

Does anyone know where I might find (in Cebu city, or So. Leyte) a portable generator something like this:

• 1500-2500 running load
  • 1800-2800 max load
  • inverter technology ok, but not required
  • gas or diesel
  • pull-cord start (battery start not required)
  • in the 15,000php-20,000php range (approximate)
  • delivery to So. Leyte would be great, for an additional fee
  • AND IS NOT SOME CHEAP CHINA PRODUCT

I've done a little research and see many good comments about Honda (though is more expensive).

Lazada wasn't of much help.

Suggestions on where the college-aged niece can call/shop in Cebu?

Suggestions on brands and features that aren't listed above?

Thanks!   (moderator, move post to proper place, if needed)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Jester

• smokey

• fred42

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a reason Honda generators are more costly. Because they are both good and reliable. But, you can't have both "good" and "cheap". It doesn't work that way with generators. So, make up your min

And don't forget to send them 1,000 pesos a day for the gas to run it.  

I'm probably better off not building my own gas tank! On the inlet end is an opening above the control panel, that is the intake air.  The case itself is actually designed to cool the generator a

Posted Images

Paul
41 minutes ago, Thalcoozyo said:

I've done a little research and see many good comments about Honda (though is more expensive).

There is a reason Honda generators are more costly. Because they are both good and reliable. But, you can't have both "good" and "cheap". It doesn't work that way with generators. So, make up your mind which way you want to go.

Can you buy a cheap generator? Sure you can. But, there goes your bottom tic box. It will be Chinese. It will vibrate and raise all kind of hell. Not even sure it will last the "two or three months" you need it, especially if it is running almost constantly. (Let's be reasonable here. Four to six weeks is probably a best case scenario, which isn't going to happen in the Philippines, if that is what you were told?)

So, IF you want a reliable unit, go with a Honda 3,000 watts inverter generator. That will tick all your boxes except, the price range. I couldn't be happier with mine. Start every time I pull the cord.

What does your family use so much, in the way of power? I don't need that much from my generator when my power is off. And, I assure you, I don't do without.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 5
Mikala
2 hours ago, Thalcoozyo said:

Suggestions on where the college-aged niece can call/shop in Cebu?

Belmont Industrial Tools has a large selection, but no Honda generators. For a Honda generator, I'd suggest going to a Honda motorcycle dealership. I did post photos about the generators at Belmont on another thread for that hardware store.

There's also a variety of hardware stores in the Colon street area that carry the Chinese generators. They're SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and would be a lot easier to maintain.

@Dafey and I are planning to go generator shopping soonest. Will post photos and prices with locations on the forum.

PhilsFan

Hit OLX and other sites for a used Honda? Maybe you could get buy with a 2k Honda..if so, bring a hand held hair dryer to test it's ability to take a load. Even abused Hondas are better than the Chinese crap. The noise and vibration from the Chineses stuff will drive you batty..even if it does manage to keep running. You will curse it everytime you turn it on. Perhaps you can justify spending more if you take it with you when no longer needed? I would also consider the Yamaha if you find one.

Good hunting

Edited by PhilsFan
  • Like 2
A_Simple_Man
2 hours ago, Thalcoozyo said:

Hey all, the family in So. Leyte are going to be in the dark (literally) for several more weeks, maybe as much as 4-6 weeks.

Hopefully the Cebu Daily News has it right when they say its all gonna be fixed in 5 days.  (Click here for link).  Could this be an attempt to get a generator out of you?

Jester

So the family in N Leyte is without power for ?? with a freezer full of meat! The wife is making noise about a generator.  

I have a couple the Honda inverter generators and would not spend my money on anything else.  But not sure I am wild about buying for the inlaw's.

I am meticulous about maintenance as they are BIG $$$$  When using for long time I use ethanol gas, when done I run it dry on ethanol free gas.  If using short time I run it on ethanol free gas.

Not sure if ethanol free gas is available on Biliran. 

A_Simple_Man
26 minutes ago, Jester said:

The wife is making noise about a generator. 

And don't forget to send them 1,000 pesos a day for the gas to run it.  :hyper:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
easy44

My opinion after spending 4 months living 24 hours a day with a generator after Yolanda?

Noise? A quiet generator is great but any generator is better than no generator.

Diesel is preferable to gas because it is more durable and cheaper to run.  Not a big issue if you are only running it occasionally for a few hours, but important for continuous operation.

Availability?  If you live in Leyte and don't already have one you can forget buying one locally.  Even Cebu might be difficult, I would think, at this point.  If you find something used in decent running condition, better snatch it up.

Edited by easy44
  • Like 1
smokey

I have a promate china rig use it maybe 3 times a year less then one hour and have had it 6 years.. paid 45,000 in colon area same unit 15 more in malls  on the side it says 7800 but it works so never really cared how or why ...

Edited by smokey
Thalcoozyo
4 hours ago, Paul said:

There is a reason Honda generators are more costly. Because they are both good and reliable. What does your family use so much, in the way of power?

Yep... I'm also of the opinion to go with Honda.  Honda's webpage doesn't show prices, but the prices I've seen on other webpages don't scare me too bad. I think I can swing the cash for a Honda.

Power requirement... yea, I agree, if you are charging cell phones, then go with a simple one. But as sure as God's green apples, there will be a time when that just isn't enough power. So I'm thinking go ahead and get a decent generator now that will handle most any situation. HOWEVER, Paul, your opinion is valued. So for the regular household with a refrig, some lights, and a beast of a water-pump, what do you suggest?

My opinion is to shoot for the 1-yr old refrig, some lights, and recharging phones... do you think a 1500 is big enough?

What say ye?

• Administrator
Dafey

I was looking for a generator the week before the earthquake. I was shopping for something that put out 3000-4000 watts. 

2 days ago I combed Carbon area and everything descent in that size was gone...including Belmont. They put me on a wait list for the one I wanted but who knows when they will be resupplied. There were several shops that specialized in generators of all shapes and sizes but machines from 2000 watts to 4000 watts are scarce. Everybody is buying them and shipping them to Leyte.

I may up my game and get a larger unit around 5000-6000 watts.

Oh...expect to pay double or more for Honda or Elemax, (Honda engine). Probably worth it but not in my budget

Edited by Dafey
  • Like 2
smokey
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

I was looking for a generator the week before the earthquake. I was shopping for something that put out 3000-4000 watts. 

2 days ago I combed Carbon area and everything descent in that size was gone...including Belmont. They put me on a wait list for the one I wanted but who knows when they will be resupplied. There were several shops that specialized in generators of all shapes and sizes but machines from 2000 watts to 4000 watts are scarce. Everybody is buying them and shipping them to Leyte.

I may up my game and get a larger unit around 5000-6000 watts.

Oh...expect to pay double or more for Honda or Elemax, (Honda engine). Probably worth it but not in my budget

don't despair my cheap china junk has been running now 2 hours ... and it cost me half of the branded models..

• Like 2
Thalcoozyo

OK everyone... the latest news is that the power has returned!  On a rotational basis, with periodic brownouts, but at least it's back so they can charge phones, etc.   As to my original request... I still think I'm gonna look for a Honda portable generator, will likely NOT get an inverter model. However, I'd really like to hear from someone knowledgeable about how large of a generator would be needed for some house lights, a recently purchased refrigerator, and the TV?  Anyone know? 1000 is enough?  1500 to be safer?  more?

Why don't I want an inverter, you ask?  1) it really really drives the price upwards, quite significantly;  2) we're not running computers off it;  3) the only electronics being run is the TV and I know for a fact that it is doing just fine with daytime volts of 220 and nighttime volts of 165-170.  If it's held up to that kind of fluctuation, then it'll hold up to a regular generator's fluctuations.

Keep those good ideas flowin'... input is appreciated!

Paul
5 minutes ago, Thalcoozyo said:

Anyone know? 1000 is enough?  1500 to be safer?  more?

One Honda 2000 watts inverter genset runs all of what you need.