Poor Man's Spaghetti

Richard K

Richard K

That is what my mom called it. Almost everyone scoffs at this but once they taste it they always come back for more. Filipino's love it. I always make a big batch because I like it for lunch also....that and my neighbors here always want some...lol

1-kilo good ground beef ..lean as you can find

1/2-kilo lean bacon.. I like Hormel's Black Label

3- large onions...4- medium

1 to 1 & 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

4-cans Campbell's condensed tomato soup

1-soup can of water

1/2 soup can of milk

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Chop the onion into 1/2" x 1/2 pieces"

cut up the raw bacon into 3/4" x 3/4" pieces 

brown, bacon, onion, ground beef and pepper stirring to separate everything and it cooks evenly... don't make it crunchy

*Important--- drain all of the excess grease..or it will spoil it

I use a big aluminum wok here which works well

While that is cooking ...in a big bowl stir together soup,water,milk and cheese..this just needs to be mixed well.

once the meat is cooked through and starting to brown up nice add the soup mixture. stir in well and make sure you scrape all the browned bits off the bottom

cover and turn to low low..stirring a few times to mix and scrape the bottom for stray browned bits... 10-15 minutes.. you really only need to heat the soup and melt all the cheese into the soup

I like this with fettuccine or linguine.. but take your pick of pasta

I know... it sounds like crap but I guarantee it will be a hit.. I get asked to make it all the time..

• Like 7
oztony

I have been unable to find beef mince that even resembles ...well ...beef mince , 

I knocked up a pasta a couple of months back with some so called Australian beef mince , it was absolutely horrible, the Filipino's loved it though ..it tasted like kangaroo mince , even a heap of chile didn't fix it enough for me...

• Like 1
Richard K

I occasionally find some "decent" ground sirloin here... it is not even close to USDA quality but as I haven't had hardly any USDA beef here I make do with what I can find... I am just happy when I can find ground beef that doesn't have bone and tendons ground up with it... that and isn't 60% fat. I have made this with ground pork also but I like it better as I wrote

• Like 1
agent17

I stopped reading after the first two ingredients.  How can it be "poor man" when there are beef and bacon?  A poor man spaghetti is made of ketchup and hotdogs.

• Like 1
Richard K

lol... we grew our own when I was a kid... that is why my mom called it that.. everything but the soup and the pasta we already had...

you can go ahead and call it "middle income" spaghetti if you like.. still pretty tasty.. 

Edited by Richard K
  • Like 1
Jim_in_Jax

You know what makes it so tasty?  Bacon.  Add bacon to anything and it instantly becomes much more tastier.

• Like 2
oztony
10 minutes ago, Richard K said:

lol... we grew our own when I was a kid... that is why my mom called it that.. everything but the soup and the pasta we already had...

you can go ahead and call it "middle income" spaghetti if you like.. still pretty tasty.. 

The middle income Happy spaghetti meal ...agent 17 should try some ...?

Richard K
Just now, Jim_in_Jax said:

You know what makes it so tasty?  Bacon.  Add bacon to anything and it instantly becomes much more tastier.

good point..lol .. it is the combination with this one tho.... my sister always adds a bunch of stuff... peppers and a bunch of oregano basil and whatnot... totally changes it... i keep it simple and it is good... I start fooling with it and ?..sometimes not

easy44

I would have trouble finding Campbells tomato soup here, the rest sounds good!

Richard K
Just now, easy44 said:

I would have trouble finding Campbells tomato soup here, the rest sounds good!

I have trouble too... when I find it I buy a bunch.. but it is hit or miss.. what is weird is there is always cream of mushroom soup.. but when there is tomato soup it is gone quickly... but what do the order to stock?.. more cream of mushroom soup... in one place there is 2 long rows of it.. can't figure it out... they must like to have their shelves full... one sells out fast..the other doesn't..so let's order more of what doesn't sell...HUH???

easy44
1 minute ago, Richard K said:

I have trouble too... when I find it I buy a bunch.. but it is hit or miss.. what is weird is there is always cream of mushroom soup.. but when there is tomato soup it is gone quickly... but what do the order to stock?.. more cream of mushroom soup... in one place there is 2 long rows of it.. can't figure it out... they must like to have their shelves full... one sells out fast..the other doesn't..so let's order more of what doesn't sell...HUH???

Same here on the mushroom soup, but never see tomato soup.

Alfred E. Neuman

This is rich man spaghetti for Pinoy standard: 1kilo ground beef 250, half kilo bacon 300, onions 50, parmesan 150, 4 cans campbell 500 = two days minimum wage