Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Visa Run, Quick Turnaround

Kreole

I need to make a visa run in about a month.  I have read about others’ preferred destinations but have a very specific itinerary in mind.  I want the quickest turnaround possible; I think one must be out of the country for at least 24 hours.  Also, I want a RT flight from and return to Cebu.  I do NOT want to have to go to Manila.  So it comes down to flying out of Cebu to a close international destination that has an easy or convenient overnight stay, and then return to Cebu the next day; pretty sparse but it works for me if such a scenario actually exists.  Any suggestions or experiences are welcome.  Thanks ahead.

easy44

Hong Kong or Singapore would be my choices.  There is no requirement that I know of, requiring 24 hours absence.  Just leave and return.  I did Hong Kong overnight staying at a hotel at the airport.  I have also done it just hanging out in the airport for my return flight.  Not very comfortable, but there are lots of restaurants and wifi to pass the time.

Hopefully I won't be doing that anymore, since I am applying for my permanent residence after 16 years of being a tourist!

Edited by easy44
  • Like 2

shadow
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

I need to make a visa run in about a month.  I have read about others’ preferred destinations but have a very specific itinerary in mind.  I want the quickest turnaround possible; I think one must be out of the country for at least 24 hours.  Also, I want a RT flight from and return to Cebu.  I do NOT want to have to go to Manila.  So it comes down to flying out of Cebu to a close international destination that has an easy or convenient overnight stay, and then return to Cebu the next day; pretty sparse but it works for me if such a scenario actually exists.  Any suggestions or experiences are welcome.  Thanks ahead.

Although many people preach this 24 hour rule, I have never seen it in actual print. As far as I know, you can be on the next plane back. 

Edited by shadow
  • Like 2

Kreole
1 hour ago, shadow said:

Although many people preach this 24 hour rule, I have never seen it in actual print. As far as I know, you can be on the next plane back. 

I used to do that when I was living in Cuba.  I would go to the Dominican Republic which was only about 1 hour flight.  I would deplane, run across the tarmac, race through the airport, through immigration and back to the departure area in about 1 hour.  It was always just under the wire, but I would be back in Cuba within 4 hours of the time I left.  Other times I went to Cancun for an overnight package and back to Cuba the next afternoon.  I had to do that every 60 days for 6 months.  For 6 years I would live 6 months in Cuba and 6 months in the US, and pretty much got the routine down.

3 hours ago, easy44 said:

Hong Kong or Singapore would be my choices.  There is no requirement that I know of, requiring 24 hours absence.  Just leave and return.  I did Hong Kong overnight staying at a hotel at the airport.  I have also done it just hanging out in the airport for my return flight.  Not very comfortable, but there are lots of restaurants and wifi to pass the time.

Hopefully I won't be doing that anymore, since I am applying for my permanent residence after 16 years of being a tourist!

What are the flight times for each location?  I will check with a travel agent to see if it is possible to do a roundabout  in the same day.

CommanderData

You can do a same day turnaround with Cathay Pacific if it's in your budget range.... Note that I haven't done this *exact* itinerary myself because I usually want to spend some time in Hong Kong when there, but I have been on each of these individual flights between Cebu and Hong Kong:

Departure: 12:20PM Cebu to Hong Kong (arrives around 3:10PM)

Return: 4:20PM same day, Hong Kong to Cebu (arrives around 7:05PM)

You would not go to customs/immigration in Hong Kong, just go to the "Transfer" area and then back to your departing gate! One hour and 10 minutes is plenty of time since you will likely not have any bags, or maybe just a small carry on pack.

When I'm finally living there more than a few months at a time I'll probably exploit this exact flight myself.

• Like 1

Kreole
9 hours ago, CommanderData said:

You can do a same day turnaround with Cathay Pacific if it's in your budget range.... Note that I haven't done this *exact* itinerary myself because I usually want to spend some time in Hong Kong when there, but I have been on each of these individual flights between Cebu and Hong Kong:

You would not go to customs/immigration in Hong Kong, just go to the "Transfer" area and then back to your departing gate! One hour and 10 minutes is plenty of time since you will likely not have any bags, or maybe just a small carry on pack.

When I'm finally living there more than a few months at a time I'll probably exploit this exact flight myself.

Thanks for the tip.  I will look into it.  If it all works out I will send you a message here.

SkyMan

Don't forget your ECC and you onward ticket.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

I went to Singapore and came back the next day.  It was a nice little trip.  The county is so clean.

• Like 2

Goetz1965

How about the validity of your actual visa then ?

The ECC is only valid 1 month and the flight should be done within a week as far as I know.

I plan to get my visa renewed end of September until November (when my 3 year turn ends) but in September then also aply for the ECC.
Some days later I get my Passport back with the ECC - right ?
If I then fly out in October - how about my visa when I get back into the country?
The Visa in my passport will still be valid until end of November - so do they just give me a new entry visa nevertheless the "old" one in my passport?

Woolf
30 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

The ECC is only valid 1 month and the flight should be done within a week as far as I know.

I plan to get my visa renewed end of September until November (when my 3 year turn ends) but in September then also aply for the ECC.
If I then fly out in October - how about my visa when I get back into the country?
The Visa in my passport will still be valid until end of November - so do they just give me a new entry visa nevertheless the "old" one in my passport?

Every time you enter Philippines as a tourist you start all over again

visa waiver 30 days, then another visa waiver 29 day then extensions until another max of 3 years

• Like 1

PeteHK
21 hours ago, CommanderData said:

Due to increasing congestion at Hong Kong airport both these flights get delayed much more often now and it might be wiser not to count on the one hour turn-around. Another option is the early morning Cebu Pacific flight leaving for HK around 06.00 and returning to Cebu on the afternoon CX flight. You will have about 7 hours in HK and you need to get two single tickets. Whichever way you do it you won't have an onward ticket when entering Philippines so this may be a problem when leaving from HK.

• Like 1

Kreole
2 hours ago, PeteHK said:

Due to increasing congestion at Hong Kong airport both these flights get delayed much more often now and it might be wiser not to count on the one hour turn-around. Another option is the early morning Cebu Pacific flight leaving for HK around 06.00 and returning to Cebu on the afternoon CX flight. You will have about 7 hours in HK and you need to get two single tickets. Whichever way you do it you won't have an onward ticket when entering Philippines so this may be a problem when leaving from HK.

Yes, this is very important.  For some of us this will be a throwaway ticket, so I would look for the cheapest promo I could get.  I just sent a message to my travel agent in the US, who has been very good about keeping my intinerary in good order.  She does cost me more, but I feel secure as she is very professional.  She is a Filipina, which means she is also familiar with inter Asian destinations.

AlwaysRt
On 7/9/2017 at 9:22 AM, Goetz1965 said:

NOPE! example: I just got my 6 month extension, good until December. If I leave the country tomorrow and come back Wednesday I start over with free 30 Day or pay for 59 Day. 9A Visa expires on expiration date or upon departure.

If you need an extension in September and leaving in October, get your ECC and a 30 day extension at the same time.

Kreole
On 7/8/2017 at 9:54 PM, CommanderData said:

I cannot find that particular itinerary.  When was the last time you saw that listed?  And yes, it can be pricey.  

PeteHK

The mid-day flight to HK is CX922 (returning sector of CX 921) and the afternoon flight to Cebu is the outbound sector CX 925 from HK. But these flights do not both operate 7 days a week.