Italian Sausage

Richard K

Does anyone have a good recipe for Italian sausage? I can find quite a few on-line but I really would like not to have to experiment. Where I lived in up-state NY the population when I was young was alot of first generation Italians and many had their own recipes.

Also.. does anyone have a recommend for a meat grinder with sausage stuffing attachment? I am sick to death of spitting out bones and chunks of grizzle from the ground beef and pork here.. to say nothing of the irregular amount of fat content. I made this big pot of meatballs and sauce yesterday with 2 kilos ground beef and 1 kilo ground pork. After spitting bone chunks off the porch throughout the meal I ended up picking pork grizzle out of my teeth most of the rest of the night.

It's enough to piss off the good humor man...

19620337_10154612501195986_8291751723119580852_o.jpg

• Like 2
Soarking

Getting the grinder with sausage stuffing attachment and finding a good recipe may be the easy part.    

Getting good quality meats here could be the real problem.

For quality meat try Belcris Foods on Plaridel St.

Set up as a wholesaler to hotels restaurants etc, does not have a shopfront as such, but they accept walk in retail customers, ( actually drive up to the gate and sound the horn, guard will open) have display section setup inside their compound.

They usually open a temporary retail store across the road prior to each Xmas.. Doing hams and turkey etc.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Richard K
11 minutes ago, Soarking said:

Getting good quality meats here could be the real problem.

I hear that...Pork doesn't seem too much of a problem where I am now... beef on the other hand is ify at best. I have found a couple of Fresh Option meat shops that have pretty good suppliers.. as good as it get's here I guess.. I doubt it will ever reach USDA standards because that type of beef cow just doesn't do well in tropical environments.. I have pretty much gotten used to that. It is the just whacking meat into usable chunks with no regard to cuts or where the piece of beef is from on the cow, where the joints are or bones either...even in restaurants you end up chewing tentatively because of bone shards... I just want to cut out the middle man... the guy with the cleaver...  

8 minutes ago, Gus said:

For quality meat try Belcris Foods on Plaridel St.

Set up as a wholesaler to hotels restaurants etc, does not have a shopfront as such, but they accept walk in retail customers, ( actually drive up to the gate and sound the horn, guard will open) have display section setup inside their compound.

They usually open a temporary retail store across the road prior to each Xmas.. Doing hams and turkey etc.

this is in Cebu yes?... pretty fair distance for me to travel for meat

BossHog
I am sick to death of spitting out bones and chunks of grizzle from the ground beef and pork here..

You sure you weren't eating bear meat?
Richard K
4 minutes ago, BossHog said:

You sure you weren't eating bear meat?

wait... there's bears here?..:scratch_head:

this is in Cebu yes?... pretty fair distance for me to travel for meat

Nowhere in your post do say where you are located..
And if I'm not mistaken this is a forum about " living in Cebu " ..
Anyway hopefully my information won't go to waste and someone will benefit.

Jimone

Use pork, plenty of fat and pepper.... season to taste, you need the fat.. 

Richard K
10 minutes ago, Gus said:

Nowhere in your post do say where you are located..
And if I'm not mistaken this is a forum about " living in Cebu " ..
Anyway hopefully my information won't go to waste and someone will benefit.

if you look under my name and avatar it says where I am located...

if you look under my name and avatar it says where I am located...

I use Tapatalk on a cellphone and on a Samsung galaxy tablet ..neither gives me your location

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
RogerDat

I looked up the place Gus posted about. It looks good, I will make a post with pictures, maybe someone can get by there and see if the pictures are correct.

AlwaysRt
1 hour ago, Gus said:

I use Tapatalk on a cellphone and on a Samsung galaxy tablet ..neither gives me your location

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

His says "Location:dapdap tarlac province" and yours says "Location:Pattaya Thailand"

Mikala
3 hours ago, Richard K said:

Does anyone have a good recipe for Italian sausage?

Try this thread:

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I make a few different sausages. For my Italian I tend to go heavy on the fennel seeds and I like to make it hot and spicy. The biggest challenge for me in sausage making is getting enough pork fat. Might be easier to come by in the PH, I didn't do a lot of sausage making there - apart from Italian which I only made loose didn't bother with casings. 

• Like 1
AlwaysRt
1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

I make a few different sausages. For my Italian I tend to go heavy on the fennel seeds and I like to make it hot and spicy. The biggest challenge for me in sausage making is getting enough pork fat. Might be easier to come by in the PH, I didn't do a lot of sausage making there - apart from Italian which I only made loose didn't bother with casings. 

Biggest problem for me is finding fennel seeds, still looking after a year.