Sign in to follow this  
Bigfish

What would you bring to Philippines and didn't think of?

Bigfish

Since I'm preparing to move to Cebu (province) in the next month it made me think.

For those that are already living in the Philippines, my question is simple. 

What small items would you bring when moving to the Philippines that you didn't think of and could have easily brought with you?

Things I have thought of in random order:

Fruit and veg seed packets

water mister/fogger nozzles, the tiny cheap ones from home depot, for keeping people cool and in our case to be able to mist the piggery on hot days. 

My rechargeable Black & Decker drill! Gotta have!

added:

Several good can openers.

Space is limited, two bags in luggage check-in, one carry-on. What else?

Edited by Bigfish
  • Like 2

CardiacKid

Fruit and seed packets from the U.S. do not do well in P.I.  Also, if you are bringing a battery operated drill, I would consider a better brand than Black and Decker. Spare batteries would be a must. Don't forget that electric is 220 vac and any electrical items will require a transformer.

• Like 3

Bigfish
21 minutes ago, CardiacKid said:

Fruit and seed packets from the U.S. do not do well in P.I.  Also, if you are bringing a battery operated drill, I would consider a better brand than Black and Decker. Spare batteries would be a must. Don't forget that electric is 220 vac and any electrical items will require a transformer.

Already planned on transformer. It's a good B&D with a backup battery. Totally bringing it. When it breaks (if), it breaks. That's a $150 I don't need to spend now to get some projects done.

Interesting on the seed. I was just thinking various squash seeds, roma tomato, cucumber, a few greens, maybe a cpl varieties of melon.

But what would you bring that you didn't think of? 

Monsoon
59 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

What small items would you bring when moving to the Philippines that you didn't think of and could have easily brought with you?

Several top of the line can openers. 

Bigfish

ohhh, interesting, ok.

Enuff

only issue with drill is speed/torque

Philippines ain't the USA!

I can screw 1000's of screws into wood in USA on 1 charge. getting it through coco lumber is a bit different.

ace hardware has decent 220 electric corded drills for under $50 

save you space and bring extra t-shirts, socks and undies.

• Like 2

Bigfish
2 minutes ago, Enuff said:

only issue with drill is speed/torque

Philippines ain't the USA!

I can screw 1000's of screws into wood in USA on 1 charge. getting it through coco lumber is a bit different.

ace hardware has decent 220 electric corded drills for under $50 

save you space and bring extra t-shirts, socks and undies.

ohhhh, ok, the 220 drills are more powerful. Hadn't though of that. Who said I wouldn't learn something today? That's why I come here!

the.lone.gunman

I would have brought strawberry plant seeds. I searched high and low for seeds in both Baguio and Cebu but i had no luck at all.

RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, the.lone.gunman said:

I would have brought strawberry plant seeds. I searched high and low for seeds in both Baguio and Cebu but i had no luck at all.

You can find them on both Lazada and OLX.

the.lone.gunman
2 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

You can find them on both Lazada and OLX.

Tks for the info, I never thought of that. I went to a bunch of garden/landscape places and had zero luck.

Woolf
2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

ohhhh, ok, the 220 drills are more powerful. Hadn't though of that. Who said I wouldn't learn something today? That's why I come here!

A 220-240 volt 500 watt drill is no more powerful than a 110-120 500 watt drill

you will find that in Philippines it is 220 to 240 volt , at my place it is in fact 241-243 volt

• Like 3

Mandingo

Quality clothing in "husky" sizes  :)

Bigfish
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

A 220-240 volt 500 watt drill is no more powerful than a 110-120 500 watt drill

you will find that in Philippines it is 220 to 240 volt , at my place it is in fact 241-243 volt

Of course I knew that. But wasn't thinking at all, having one of my "moments" I guess.

Mikala
7 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Fruit and veg seed packets

University of Hawaii sells seed packets for fruit and vegetables that do well in the tropics. You still have time and they're very customer friendly. :)

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/

I'd send a balikbayan box or two over with needed items. If you're living in the province, a rechargeable fan is certainly handy! Insulated drink container is also extremely handy for keeping beverages cold.

If you're working on various projects, bring work gloves.

Depending on your kitchen wants and needs, keep in mind that quality kitchen appliances are 2-3 times more expensive here.

If you use birth control (condoms), bring American sized. The local ones are just too small! :o

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 1

sugbu777
8 minutes ago, Mikala said:

University of Hawaii sells seed packets for fruit and vegetables that do well in the tropics

Yes they do. UH seeds are the only tomato seeds that I have had produce good hearty plants. Stateside tomato seeds grew a nice plant, but when ready to produce, the plant always withered and died. This was in Guam and Philippines.

I can get cherry tomatoes in Guam and Philippines, but I want the nice big "beefsteak" tomatoes and decent Roma variety.

• Like 2