Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

12 month old from Australia coming to the Philippines

Rossco

Hey everyone,

Some of you will remember me, been a member here for about 6 years or something. 

I lived in the Philippines for about years but my wife (Cebuana) and I have been back in Australia the last 5, all be it, coming back to the Cebu regularly, a few times every year. We always get sick when coming back, odd bugs, respiratory infections etc. Nothing major.

This time however, we are bringing out 12 month old with us, just a week or two in a month,

He is up to date on his vaccinations (except for TB) there is a world wide shortage here.

He has never been to the Philippines, we plan only going to the province for a day or two...Wondering what concerns we should have, in the province and the city. Little bit worried.

Any light anyone can shed would be wonderful.

Thanks Heaps

Ross

• Like 1

the.lone.gunman

For starters, TB is not uncommon in the PI. I would make sure that the vaccinations are up to date.

• Like 5

shadow

As stated above, TB is not the least uncommon here. Other than that my advice would be keep him away from hotel room air conditioners, many respiratory problems of travelers are caused due to no maintenance on the AC units, or at least bring your bleach bottle and thoroughly clean the filters.

Headshot

If you are that worried about TB, put a mask on your child, and don't let relatives remove it to kiss him or get in his face. Yes, TB is here in the Philippines, but whether or not you will come into contact with it depends on where you go and the economic level of those you visit. Just use caution. The BCG vaccine shortage is worldwide, but you could check with a pediatrician here to check availability. A TB test must be administered first, since BCG is not given to those who are already infected.

contraman
3 hours ago, Rossco said:

This time however, we are bringing out 12 month old with us, just a week or two in a month,

He is up to date on his vaccinations (except for TB) there is a world wide shortage here.

I don't know what part of OZ you are in, or what shortage you are referring to.  But My Granddaughter is traveling to Bali, for her friends wedding in a few months with her 2 little ones, and she has had no trouble getting All vaccinations for her and the kids.

In fact the Royal Children"s Hospital in Melbourne has this on their website : 

• Who Should Have TB Vaccinations:
    • Children, particularly those under five years of age, travelling for extended periods to countries with a high incidence of TB.

To my mind, that quote sort of tells you what you need to know.

I  know we are all different, but if it was me, traveling to the PI with a 12 month old (God forbid the thought :) )

Rather that listening to Dr LinC on these forums.

For my:twocents:

I would be trying to source an alternative supply for the vaccinations or even putting off my travel until it is sorted, :idontknow:

• Like 3

Headshot

BCG vaccine, which is the most common TB vaccine, was made in a Toronto factory until 2012, when the factory was flooded, and the contents contaminated. They had to close the factory, and I guess they have been struggling to keep up with demand ever since. People should know (but most don't) that BCG vaccine is only 20% effective in stopping TB infection, so precautions should still be taken to protect children from infection. It is, however, 50% effective if you do get infected, at keeping the infection from becoming serious. Therefore, immunization is still recommended, but parents shouldn't rely on it to completely protect their children.

• Like 1

tommax

Our little guy has had high fever, cough, flu, sore throath, inflammation of the eye and rash just in a few weeks. Currently he is ok. He is up to date on his vaccinations including TB.  AC must have had something to do with cough and sore throath. Should have cleaned aircon(s) right after we came is what we learned. We have also used drinking water as shower water for baby. 

Edited by tommax
  • Like 2

Rossco
17 hours ago, contraman said:

I don't know what part of OZ you are in, or what shortage you are referring to.  But My Granddaughter is traveling to Bali, for her friends wedding in a few months with her 2 little ones, and she has had no trouble getting All vaccinations for her and the kids.

In fact the Royal Children"s Hospital in Melbourne has this on their website : 

• To my mind, that quote sort of tells you what you need to know.

I  know we are all different, but if it was me, traveling to the PI with a 12 month old (God forbid the thought :) )

Rather that listening to Dr LinC on these forums.

For my:twocents:

I would be trying to source an alternative supply for the vaccinations or even putting off my travel until it is sorted, :idontknow:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I just called the Royal Childrens Hospital in Melbourne, I had the number saved in my phone because i call every major hospital in Australia every month for the past 12 months trying to get the BCG vaccination.

They told me they haven't administered it to anyone in over 24 months. Because of the shortage Australia is not prioritiesed.

Just in case you wanted to inform you granddaughter mate

• Like 1

contraman
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I just called the Royal Childrens Hospital in Melbourne, I had the number saved in my phone because i call every major hospital in Australia every month for the past 12 months trying to get the BCG vaccination.
They told me they haven't administered it to anyone in over 24 months. Because of the shortage Australia is not prioritiesed.
Just in case you wanted to inform you granddaughter mate

Good that you followed up.
but you seem to have misread my post.
The reference to the RCH was what they recommend. Not where the vaccine is available. The RCH is not the place to go for general vaccinations anyway.
What I did say was that ( contrary to what you have said above) the TB vaccine is Available in Australia and I for one wouldn't be visiting the PI without being vaccinated, no matter what age.
But YMMV :idontknow:

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

Here are my thoughts

Some of my ex wife's relatives on Leyte have TB. My daughter has been visiting them regularly since she was 8 months old with no issues. 

TB is not a death sentence. It is just a 6 month course of pills. My girlfriend's 3 year old son finished his course of pills a few months ago and has been declared TB free. 

Australians are likely to cope a lot better with TB than Filipinos because we eat a much healthier diet.

the.lone.gunman
23 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Here are my thoughts

Some of my ex wife's relatives on Leyte have TB. My daughter has been visiting them regularly since she was 8 months old with no issues. 

TB is not a death sentence. It is just a 6 month course of pills. My girlfriend's 3 year old son finished his course of pills a few months ago and has been declared TB free. 

Australians are likely to cope a lot better with TB than Filipinos because we eat a much healthier diet.

People at high risk for progression to TB disease once infected include: Persons with human immunodeficiency virus HIV infection. Persons who were infected with M. tuberculosis within the past 2 years, particularly infants and very young children.

http://www.health.ri.gov/diseases/tuberculosis/about/atriskpopulations/

Edited by the.lone.gunman

Rossco

He is up to date with all hes immunisations... but what other would you suggest.. Maleria, Typhoid?

Tullioz
2 hours ago, Rossco said:

He is up to date with all hes immunisations... but what other would you suggest.. Maleria, Typhoid?

Has your child been vaccinated against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR)?  Measles is also common in the Philippines and very contagious. But like Headshot mentioned earlier about TB, your chances of coming in contact with someone infected would be much higher in the lower income areas. I would also avoid traveling in crowded jeepneys and buses with your child as well. 

Headshot
3 hours ago, Rossco said:

Hepatitis vaccine is not often given in the West, but all coming to the Philippines should get the series. As far as I know, there is no vaccine for Malaria, only prevention (repellent) and then treatment if you get it. It is the same for Dengue Fever, although there is now a vaccine, but it can't be given to those who are most vulnerable (the young and the old). Typhoid and Yellow Fever are somewhat common tropical diseases, and both have vaccines, but its up to you whether or not you get them. Both vaccines are a bit painful when given.

Rossco

So much good information here. Thank you very much for the people who took the time to respond I am taking notes :-)