Sign in to follow this  
Soarking

No books????

Soarking

My sonn is in the 11th grade at a private school here in Cebu.   Being the end of June is fast approaching 10% of the schoolyear is almost behind us.   AND STILL NO SCHOOL BOOKS?????   When I ask I get the same old answer,  SORRY SIR,   NOT IN STOCK.    MAYBE NEXT MONTH.   

Is this normal here?    Curious to find out from other parents with students in school here.

Edited by Soarking
  • Like 1

angbumabasa

10 to 20 years ago it was common here in Maasin to have maybe one book for 20 students. Whole businesses stayed in business photocopying books for the rest of the students, at the parents expense. It has improved somewhat.

• Like 1

Headshot
35 minutes ago, Soarking said:

My sonn is in the 11th grade at a private school here in Cebu.   Being the end of June is fast approaching 10% of the schoolyear is almost behind us.   AND STILL NO SCHOOL BOOKS?????   When I ask I get the same old answer,  SORRY SIR,   NOT IN STOCK.    MAYBE NEXT MONTH.   

Is this normal here?    Curious to find out from other parents with students in school here.

It is normal in public schools, but not in the better private schools. In fact, in public schools, books may never be issued (and students are forced to copy books). At Ateneo, my daughter had all of her books weeks before class started.

Edited by Headshot

to_dave007

Private school..  all 3 boys already have their books. 2 in Grade 1 and 1 in Kinder.

Edited by to_dave007

RogerDuMond

We transferred our youngest niece from public school out here in the province to a private school in Balamban and books were available and a mandatory part of enrollment.

Soarking

Went into the school and had a nice talk with the principal.   Figured I would get action or deported.  After hearing "Sorry Sir" about the tenth time I made sure they got my full 2 pesos worth.

Somehow out of the blue the next day I got a text from the school.;   "Sir,  Your son's books are here already".    ALREADY???????   WTF.   OK, I know it's a term they always misuse in the Philippines.     Still missing two books, but the important ones are here.

Me happy as a wet fart now.

Edited by Soarking

Skywalker

Last trip to London, I toured a few charity shops, and got some excellent Atlas books for pennies on the pound.  Geography appears not to be on any curriculum here in the Philippines! My kids at private schools here usually manage to get all their books at the start of each school year, though sometimes stocks are short and there are delays.  I don't really understand why demand isn't being supplied, it is sort of business 101.  We just have to do our best.

Soarking
3 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

I don't really understand why demand isn't being supplied, it is sort of business 101.  We just have to do our best.

You mean like Jolly Bees being out of Coke for a couple of days?  Or grocery stores being out of any one of anumber of good selling items?    So many Filipinos would not be able to use the only English term they know so well, "Sorry Sir,  OUT OF STOCK".

• Like 1

Skywalker
1 hour ago, Soarking said:

So many Filipinos would not be able to use the only English term they know so well, "Sorry Sir,  OUT OF STOCK".

You're, of course, quite correct.

Forgive me.......

I was temporarily in another Universe! :bestpost: