UK's largest ever warship, HMS Queen Elizabeth, sets sail for the first time

Mikala

Another line was written in the history books today as the largest warship ever built for the Royal Navy set sail for the first time. Under the guidance of a flotilla of super tugs, the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth set out from Rosyth, Scotland on her first six-week sea trial off the northeast coast of Scotland to carry out initial tests of the future flagship's fundamental systems.

Today's departure marks a major milestone for the Queen Elizabeth and her sister ship HMS Prince of Wales, which is currently being fitted out. Each carrier is 280 m (920 ft) long, 70 m (230 ft) abeam, has a draught of 11 m (36 ft) with a flight deck big enough for three soccer fields and can manage a top speed of 25 knots (46 km/h, 29 mph). Though larger than the previous invincible class carriers, they carry a smaller crew thanks to their heavily automated systems and networked design.

Today's trials aren't that much of a change for the approximately 700 crew that make up the present complement of HMS Queen Elizabeth. They have been living aboard ship for the past two weeks while carrying out watches and dry runs as if the carrier was already at sea. According to the Ministry of Defence (MoD), after completing the initial trials that will evaluate the carrier's speed, maneuverability, weapons, power and propulsion, the ship will return to Rosyth for testing and maintenance before heading south to her homeport at Portsmouth for formal transfer to the Navy later this year.

Though the Queen Elizabeth's main weapon during her 50 years of service will be an air arm of at least a dozen F-35B Lightning II fighter aircraft, the first years of service will use only helicopters until the fixed-wing planes and their pilots are ready for deployment. When the air crews and Royal Marines are taken aboard, the ship's complement will swell to 1,600.

"This is a hugely significant moment for the Royal Navy, for all our Armed Forces and for our island nation," says Admiral Sir Philip Jones First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff. "Once in service HMS Queen Elizabeth will be the largest aircraft carrier in the world outside the United States, and the first designed from the outset to operate a fifth generation aircraft.

"Already this ship represents the best of the UK's industrial and engineering expertise, and once in service she will symbolize our military power and authority in the world for decades to come. There is still much work to do between now and then, but be in no doubt: a new era of British maritime power is about to begin."

http://newatlas.com/hms-queen-elizabeth-sea-trials/50213/

qe-trials-2.jpg

qe-trials-3.jpg

qe-trials-4.jpg

qe-trials-1.jpg

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 6
cogon88

Well lets hope there Microsoft XP futuristic computer control system does not catch Ransom Ware Virus

Updated The Royal Navy’s brand new £3.5bn aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth is currently* running Windows XP in her flying control room, according to reports.

Defence correspondents from The Times and The Guardian, when being given a tour of the carrier’s aft island – the rear of the two towers protruding above the ship’s main deck – spotted Windows XP apparently in the process of booting up on one of the screens in the flying control room, or Flyco.

“A computer screen inside a control room on HMS Queen Elizabeth was displaying Microsoft Windows XP – copyright 1985 to 2001 – when a group of journalists was given a tour of the £3 billion warship last week,” reported Deborah Haynes of The Times, accurately describing the copyright information on the XP loading screen.

Similarly, the Guardian’s Ewen MacAskill (who also worked on the Edward Snowden NSA revelations in 2013) noted: “During a tour of the carrier, screens were spotted using what appeared to be the outdated 2001 Windows XP operating system.”

Mikala
13 minutes ago, cogon88 said:

Well lets hope there Microsoft XP futuristic computer control system does not catch Ransom Ware Virus

I'm sure the British, Australian and American military has instituted the latest cyber security standards. In nuclear plants, we follow Nuclear Energy Institute standards NEI 08-09 and NEI 13-10 that help keep the software / firmware in digital systems from being exposed to viruses and trojan horses. In non-nuke plants, digital systems I've designed have no ability to connect to the internet, nor USB/CD/DVD drives.

We also use a lot of computers with Windows XP as it's proven technology that everyone is familiar with. Patches are not installed until thoroughly tested by software QA engineers.

Edited by Mikala
angbumabasa

In 2012 'all' ATM's in the US still used XP. 

Mr. Mike

My God she is beautiful.............:)

• Like 2
lamoe

You beat me to it - saw article yesterday didn't post

I do believe the Brits came up up with the idea of the raised flight deck - way to go UKites

• Like 1
sierra01

I think the ramp was thought up by a naval officer back in the 70's, I think he was awarded about £25k because it saved the navy a fortune for launching the Harrier.

• Administrator
Dafey

Needs outriggers....or, maybe I've been in the Phils too long?

• Like 2
lamoe
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Needs outriggers....or, maybe I've been in the Phils too long?

Destroyers or battleships?

Maybe subs

RogerDat

The Russians in retaliation for Briton calling their carrier "old and decrepit" have said the new carrier is a target waiting as it relies on other ships for protection. 

A_Simple_Man
50 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

The Russians in retaliation for Briton calling their carrier "old and decrepit" have said the new carrier is a target waiting as it relies on other ships for protection. 

I was thinking along similar lines.  Bigger is not better in today's world.  Its just a bigger target.  But if we are talking about skirmishes with developing worlds its a great ship.  Kind of like Magellan's ship compared to the Philippine canoes.

Skywalker

Oil tankers are bigger no?

Anyway, it's good that Britain has a big war ship, because as we all know - size matters! :respect:

size-matters.jpg

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 3
bargeman
On 6/29/2017 at 1:59 AM, cogon88 said:

Updated The Royal Navy’s brand new £3.5bn aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth is currently* running Windows XP in her flying control room, according to reports.

Defence correspondents from The Times and The Guardian, when being given a tour of the carrier’s aft island – the rear of the two towers protruding above the ship’s main deck – spotted Windows XP apparently in the process of booting up on one of the screens in the flying control room, or Flyco.

“A computer screen inside a control room on HMS Queen Elizabeth was displaying Microsoft Windows XP – copyright 1985 to 2001 – when a group of journalists was given a tour of the £3 billion warship last week,” reported Deborah Haynes of The Times, accurately describing the copyright information on the XP loading screen.

Similarly, the Guardian’s Ewen MacAskill (who also worked on the Edward Snowden NSA revelations in 2013) noted: “During a tour of the carrier, screens were spotted using what appeared to be the outdated 2001 Windows XP operating system.”

Those "news hounds" shouldn't believe all what they are allowed to see.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
guardsman

I'm happy this thread is here as I was going to make a post about the Elizabeth but wasn't sure where to post it.  I almost posted it on the 'boat construction' thread until I decided to search and found this one.

She's a thing of beauty.  I took a trip to Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago with the dogs and the girls to see her arrive in her home port and she is simply stunning.  Being Portsmouth she got a massive reception:

It's good to see our government upping its game.  Now if only we could increase our armed forces spend from 2% to 3% of GDP it may make NATO seem sensible again.

First flying operations:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1