Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Kalanggaman Island

Recommended Posts

Dafey

I was going to put this in Raven's Hidden Gems but thought it would be an easier search on it's own. @Paul is there a way to copy it to Hidden gems?

Kalanggaman is an atoll off shore and belonging to Palompon, Leyte. The only boats allowed to Kalanggaman need to clear through the city as they try to regulate the tourist traffic. As such, there are steps to providing the service and we hired a "guide" to take care of everything. We paid him 500 pesos and he was very happy. He also secured us a nice hut in prime real estate...

594f50af82073_Kalanggaman12.jpg.454e8ed809670f0e04e5b86211ad17ba.jpg

There are also boats coming from Malapasua so Palompon must have a deal with them.

Entrance to the island is 150 PHP for locals and 500 for foreigners. They will give you 2 trash bags as you need to haul out your trash. Clear for biodegradable and black for non-biodegradable.

The people we were with are from the states and not into roughing it so we hired a private banca boat, holds up to 15 for 3000. If you want to join the masses it's no big deal and considerably cheaper. The ride is about 45 minutes to the island from the pier near the Tourist Building.

We also had lunch catered for 3500, (I know...very extravagant but our guests are persnickety). The lunch was truly fantastic from a local restaurant that if you are interested, PM me and I can hook you up. That being said it's easy to bring your own food and we even saw several families with whole lechons, celebrating 

I suggest getting an early start as after about 10-11 AM the island will start to get a lot of guests and you can get some great photos of the island before anyone gets there. Definitely go on the weekday and avoid the weekend and holidays. Family has told me that there are jet skis and banana boats but everything was parked when we were there, I believe there is a dispute with the local government...(hope the government wins this one as I feel the motorized vehicles destroy the ambiance. 

594f4c80a0950_Kalanggaman1.jpg.7669df630d80e7bfcd4a07705349e308.jpg

594f4caa41d5f_Kalanggaman2.jpg.d9e2d357260dd569138d64e49c6c3c9a.jpg

594f4cc13b25f_Kalanggaman3.jpg.6b6246f7eab39bc59d0b38971c5896a9.jpg

The big draw is the eastern tip of the island which is basically a sand bar. At high tide all but the very tip is submerged and they will chase you away from swimming there then as it is "strong Rip Tide Sair". Honestly I didn't feel it was bad but I'm from Florida and know how to deal with tides. They try to be very protective as they don't want negative publicity of tourists drowning.

The north side of the island is rocky and worth a walk. If I had brought a fishing pole, that's where I would have tossed my line. I'm also told that the north side of the island is great for Kite surfing though there were none on Friday, the day we went.

594f4e3113627_Kalanggaman5.jpg.16de45094bff2399f11bd0b5914e30f5.jpg

There are facities for men's and ladies CR but expect to go native so bring your Cottenell if you need it. Water is provided if you would rather. There are also a few vendors and ice cream peeps selling cones and treats.

You need to bring your own drinking water and I suggest a good size jug, (2-5 liter with a handle), for each person in your party. You never have enough clean water.

Lots of swimming and snorkeling and I believe there are dive boats for hire that will take you just off shore to the reefs. That being said, the south side of the island can be a little busy with bancas coming and going so be careful there.

594f4f9281784_Kalanggaman6.jpg.b8f74e9dcc4807b75d5df9d54f438ba8.jpg

DSC06396.JPG.74afe73dc8e5a7ab70c6c7a819b92758.JPG

There can also be some very nice scenery so bring binoculars and a camera...

594f504ebf02f_Kalanggaman7.jpg.0c905d6bbad3c62305c148b3d0bd5aca.jpg

594f51ecb57f4_Kalanggaman8.jpg.3a47308ae42b034e16b53e144a0c456d.jpg

Kalanggaman10.jpg.beeb3bc4708eafb2d48b3bf25d015507.jpg

A photo of the eastern tip at high tide...

594f525731882_Kalanggaman11.jpg.e6063442aafb4e488ea80c404c315630.jpg

At the end of your day your banca will take you back to Palompon which I will add a few tips next.

You can also camp overnight and even rent tents, (sorry, I don't have prices for this). I'm told that the sea is very flourescent at night and the stars are amazing since there is no ambient light.

In closing, Kalanggaman is a very nice day trip and a great place for those new to snorkeling. Bring the family or just your significant other. While it's easy to enjoy this quiet easy island I imagine it was even better 5 years ago. i suggest you go soon before it turns completely tourist.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
7 hours ago, Dafey said:

Cockalion shipping has a RoRo in and out of Palompon from Cebu if you prefer but the schedule is not daily. Check their website for day and time.

 

1 round trip a week.  There's also a Super Shuttle RORO with 3 r/ts a day to Bogo.  

 

http://www.cpa.gov.ph/external/sailing_schedules_cebu-leyte.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Sibbick

Thankyou for your post. I have info I can add. 

I used to live in Palompon and have otherwise been visiting regularaly since 1994. I will retire there at the end of next year.

I was married in Palompon in 1995 and the wedding feast was held at Whispering Beach. The old Gal is Mrs Occubillo. She ripped us off by not providing food we paid for and lost several other wedding feasts planned for there at the same time. It is was a nice place to be by the sea though.

For those who don't need to go via Isabel, travel via Villaba. It is a shorter journey. The V-hire from the bus and jeepney terminal opposite the pier in Ormoc does the trip to Palompon in about 1hr and 15 minutes and costs P110.

There is definitely transport from Isabel to Palompon. just get on the next jeepney.

I have stayed at PACCI multiple times since it opened because it was more convenient to stay there than travel the 9km in and out of town to the ex wife's family home. But have not been stayed at PACCI since about 2009 as I was renting for 5 years with my ex fiance. I may however stay there this trip. My choices are my ex wife's resort 2 kilomtres from the centre of town at San Juan beach, the floor of my girlfriends brothers house or PACCI. My ex wife has already told me she wants me to pay P1500. I told her to go away.

Here is a couple of pics from my ex wife's resort taken a few weeks ago by my ex sister in law

sergie-resort2.jpg.3ee845359df856f6bf8d55b680d78cc7.jpgsergi-resort.jpg.f3dbac2de8bc6716081d2b0faf029007.jpg

 

Did you identify yourself as a foreigner living in the Philippines? This is my understanding of the pricing for Kalanggaman
P50 for residents of Palompon. Foreigner or Filipino
P150 for residents of the Philippines outdise Palompon. Foreigner or Filipino

P500 for foreigners. 

Here are a coupe of videos

My video of downtown Palompon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHjGph5MIrA

Some one else drone video of Kalanggaman
https://vimeo.com/154330907

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
14 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Did you identify yourself as a foreigner living in the Philippines? This is my understanding of the pricing for Kalanggaman
P50 for residents of Palompon. Foreigner or Filipino
P150 for residents of the Philippines outdise Palompon. Foreigner or Filipino

P500 for foreigners. 

Yeah, whenever you get hit with puti-tax make sure they know you're a resident here and not some fresh off the turnip truck newb.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
samatm

Great Trip Report .. thank you!     It looks like a long and expensive day trip and with no water available quite rough.     Yep better get there before they have solar powered  karaoke and the wet bikes get authorized  Bribe their way back.     Did you do any treasure hunting?  Rumor is there is more than Sand Bars  on that Island.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
3 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Here is a couple of pics from my ex wife's resort taken a few weeks ago by my ex sister in law

What's ther name of that resort Jim? Can you tell us about the accommodations?

28 minutes ago, samatm said:

or is there is more than Sand Bars  on that Island

Tell us more? Should I bring a shovel next time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
samatm

Your picture of Kalangaman profile looks a lot like Giligan's Island.    

gilligans.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

If Maryann is there...I'm moving!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
samatm
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

If Maryann is there...I'm moving!!!

Your in luck.  she gets around pretty well at 80.  

maryanne.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey

Thanks for ruining my childhood fantasy...:hitit:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Sibbick
6 hours ago, Dafey said:

What's ther name of that resort Jim? Can you tell us about the accommodations?

Tell us more? Should I bring a shovel next time?

Sergi's Beach Resort.

If you are travelling into Palompon via Kananga and Villaba, it is on the right, just about where the sign says 2 kilometres to Palompon. There is a huge neon sign on the main road that says "Sergi's Beach Resort by John and Nide". Nide being my ex wife and John being her second husband. An Australian of Italian descent with 300 acres of Oranges.

I can't tell you what it is like there now. When I stayed there last year, they had not finished building it. What they had finished was this large 4 bedroom building in the middle. Only one room had a private bathroom. 3 rooms had to share a bathroom. Although one of the three had an access door into the bathroom so it was like a private bathroom. At the time, they were building a function centre at one side and I was told there would be single unit accommodation on the other side. You might get an idea from the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/sergibeachresort/

 

As for gold, Palompon was held by the Japanese during the second world war. They definitely buried gold in Palompon and surrounding area. Multiple people have found gold. Some of it was found by my ex wife's uncle. They had nothing at the time of the find. The find was enough gold to buy a block of land in the centre of the town, build a 3 storey building on it. The bottom level being a hard ware business. The next 2 levels being a 5 bedroom residence. Then stock the hardware business and have a bit left over.

So, it makes sense to me that there might be some gold buried on Kalanggaman.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billy
11 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Thankyou for your post. I have info I can add. 

I used to live in Palompon and have otherwise been visiting regularaly since 1994. I will retire there at the end of next year.

I was married in Palompon in 1995 and the wedding feast was held at Whispering Beach. The old Gal is Mrs Occubillo. She ripped us off by not providing food we paid for and lost several other wedding feasts planned for there at the same time. It is was a nice place to be by the sea though.

For those who don't need to go via Isabel, travel via Villaba. It is a shorter journey. The V-hire from the bus and jeepney terminal opposite the pier in Ormoc does the trip to Palompon in about 1hr and 15 minutes and costs P110.

There is definitely transport from Isabel to Palompon. just get on the next jeepney.

I have stayed at PACCI multiple times since it opened because it was more convenient to stay there than travel the 9km in and out of town to the ex wife's family home. But have not been stayed at PACCI since about 2009 as I was renting for 5 years with my ex fiance. I may however stay there this trip. My choices are my ex wife's resort 2 kilomtres from the centre of town at San Juan beach, the floor of my girlfriends brothers house or PACCI. My ex wife has already told me she wants me to pay P1500. I told her to go away.

Here is a couple of pics from my ex wife's resort taken a few weeks ago by my ex sister in law

sergie-resort2.jpg.3ee845359df856f6bf8d55b680d78cc7.jpgsergi-resort.jpg.f3dbac2de8bc6716081d2b0faf029007.jpg

 

Did you identify yourself as a foreigner living in the Philippines? This is my understanding of the pricing for Kalanggaman
P50 for residents of Palompon. Foreigner or Filipino
P150 for residents of the Philippines outdise Palompon. Foreigner or Filipino

P500 for foreigners. 

Here are a coupe of videos

My video of downtown Palompon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHjGph5MIrA

Some one else drone video of Kalanggaman
https://vimeo.com/154330907

 

 

ex wifes resort? or ex husbands old resort?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim Sibbick
12 hours ago, billy said:

ex wifes resort? or ex husbands old resort?

Ex wife. We never had a resort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billy
3 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Ex wife. We never had a resort.

lucky you. no loss then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..