US Navy destroyer collides with Philippine merchant vessel

shadow

Mr. Mike

A Navy vessel has multiple watch standers on the bridge 24 hours a day,,,to include  the OOD, helmsman, navigator and port and starboard lookouts, to name a few, The bridge space itself is loaded with the latest navigational aids including radar repeaters  displaying surface picture for miles around the ship.

On top of all this, Combat Information Center is fully manned and the entire air and surface picture is monitored and tracked every minute of the day. There is NO way that container ship or any other surface target could sneak up on the destroyer...no way. The navy ship was rammed deliberately.

Question becomes, why didn't the destroyer take evasive action as soon as CIC warned the bridge that it was tracking a surface vessel with "constant bearing, decreasing range"...

• Like 5
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soarking

• Mr. Mike

• RogerDuMond

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would they use those in the open ocean though? I think probably the Filipino ship had its lights off to save fuel.

Whatever way you look at it , be the first time the Filipino's were early to something...

could be the new navy .... old days you see something wrong you take action your boss backs your play... these days you tell him who has to tell him who then tells him and then he says let me think ab

Posted Images

Mandingo
11 minutes ago, Mr. Mike said:

There is NO way that container ship or any other surface target could sneak up on the destroyer...no way. The navy ship was rammed deliberately.

I am with you in your thinking yet apparently it did? Sounds like something was wrong with the destroyers CIC or there was a complete melt down and a dereliction of duty happening by someone or group of people. 

• Like 3
ugly american

Obviously  radar invisible also very well camouflaged to avoid being seen.  RP has unveiled it's top secret weapon for the invasion of China.  The containers will be loaded with stray dogs and Karaoke machines. and roosters.  These will be put ashore at critical places and drive the Chinese professionals insane. At that time filipino agents can seek in and steal all the cats...rendering the country without it's prime protein source. They may have started already with the 500.

:owned:    

Edited by ugly american
  • Like 5
33 minutes ago, ugly american said:

The containers will be loaded with stray dogs and Karaoke machines. and roosters.  These will be put ashore at critical places and drive the Chinese professionals insane.

Chinese love to sing karaoke, eat dogs, and watch rooster fights (or eat the rooster).

• Like 1
LechonBuddha

Maintaining the surface shipping picture is always difficult, especially in an area as busy as the approach to Tokyo Bay.

What undoubtably happened is one or both ships lost their situational awareness due to one of countless possible scenarios. It's pretty easy to lose track of any individual contact (ship)  when you're tracking dozens. High relative speeds, possibly restricted maneuvering, poor seamanship/communication as well as poor teamwork between CIC and the bridge are just a few possibilities. Any or a combination of these are common causes of collisions and groundings. Bottom line, the Fitzgerald either lost track of the container ship, confused it for another contact, or otherwise tracked it poorly, which left them unable to avoid the collision when, for whatever reason, it became imminent.  

I'm gonna guess the bridge loss their situational awareness and called the captain to the bridge too late when under duress. Happens all the time. Watch officers hate to wake the Captain even though his night orders specify when he must be called. In the case of CIC, their job is to back up the Bridge and to run screaming at them when they have a major disagreement. The Captain is also called to the bridge in these situations however, CIC can often fail to be forceful in their disagreements or be cowed into submitting to the bridges decision.

• Like 4
Mr. Mike

I agree, if the surface picture is crowded enough it can be confusing, even with the high tech equipment we have today

I don't think the captain was on the bridge. He suffered a head injury and was transported off the ship.. I think he was asleep in his sea cabin or stateroom.

in my day, the radar repeaters had issues with "sea return" where the surrounding area closest to the center of the scope was blinded out to about 100 to 300 yards from the ship. If a contact slipped into that area undetected there could be problems especially at night. I think the new radars like SPY1/SPY2 don't have those issues.

I'll bet the pictures we see of the damage is nothing compared to the damage below the water line. Most ships now have huge protrusions extending forward from the lower bow to reduce drag through the water from the bow wave. There might be a large hole which would explain the flooded birthing compartment.

• Like 2
LechonBuddha

While sea return can make it hard to track smaller craft it wouldn't be an issue with the large cargotainer. Besides, long before it got within three hundred yards it should have been acquired by the bridge visually and CIC notified along with intentions to avoid, if any. Additionally, in those waters it wouldn't be unusual for ships to have CPA's within 300-400 yds, even closer. Regardless, the Nav and Sea detail into Yoko is long, stressful and fatiguing, and no recent technology has made it any less so. 

• Like 3
A_Simple_Man
On 6/18/2017 at 8:35 AM, RogerDuMond said:

ACX Crystal made a sharp U-turn just before the collision (based on GPS-transponder data).

Kamikaze?  I wonder if the full report will ever be made public or if it will be classified and used as a navy training exercise.  Its not the first time a collision has happened and it won't be the last.  I was reminded of that on last nights episode of "Counting Cars"

The USS Belknap was the first ship in a new group of guided missile cruisers. She was laid down in 1962 and launched in 1963. She was reclassified after a major accident occurred in 1975 when she collided with the aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy.

So sometimes shit happens.

Enuff

2 ships colliding = crews at fault

Stevie Wonder could see that ship coming and moved out of the way.

• Like 2
easy44

It seems to me that a well lighted huge container ship would be seen miles away, even at night.  Something fishy going on here.

Soarking

I think the next time that container puts out to sea we need to have a submarine sneak up behind it and stick a torpedo up its ass.

Then leave a cardboard sign floating in the water saying "DRUG DEALER".   A little cardboard justice.

ENUFF,    I didn't know Stevie Wonder was ever in the Navy.

Edited by Soarking
  • Like 2
RogerDuMond
2 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Its not the first time a collision has happened and it won't be the last.

We (USS Repose - AH16) collided with an "oiler" while refueling and ended up with a 6 foot gash just above the water line while off the coast of Vietnam. We ended up in dry dock in Subic for 6 weeks.

angbumabasa

Someone will be held responsible for allowing a ship that size to T-bone the destroyer. Happened to us in Manila Bay decades ago as the helmsman was reading a newspaper until he hit the only buoy in the Bay at that time.

• Like 1
shadow
3 hours ago, angbumabasa said:

Someone will be held responsible for allowing a ship that size to T-bone the destroyer. Happened to us in Manila Bay decades ago as the helmsman was reading a newspaper until he hit the only buoy in the Bay at that time.

That someone will most likely be the Captain of the destroyer!

lolhahaha
2 hours ago, shadow said:

That someone will most likely be the Captain of the destroyer!

Seemingly the only governmental position of leadership held accountable for anything.

• Like 1