I'd like to be completely off the grid

easy44

i was reading info on sizing Cummins generators and they say that underloading is a bigger problem than overloading.  The generator should run at a minimum of 30% of its capacity.  Less than that will eventually damage the engine by glazing the cylinder walls.  Also, ideally a generator should be running at 80% of capacity for best overall performance.  In some applications, like a largish boat, with periods of varying power needs, you are better off having one large and one small generator, and switching depending on the load.

This goes against what some believe, that the lesser the load, the longer the life.  Of course this is related to big diesel generators, but I have have to believe it is relevant to smaller units also.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• shadow

• PhilsFan

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Celestial Being, It doesn't work that way. Well, it can. But, you would end up running over in costs, or possibly worse, under - what you need to purchase to power your home. Firstly, you start

If that is the case the other posters may be steering you in the wrong direction.  You do not necessarily need solar or wind or batteries. Try to find a good size pool of water about 30 or more m

A boat...

Posted Images

easy44
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

Here is a transfer switch type that I know you can get in philippines

Billedresultat for knife switch

All you need is a double contact, double throw switch, which I assume that is, with the outside contacts being either generator or utility power sources and the center contacts going to your panel board. Automatic transfer switches are very expensive.

Edited by easy44
PhilsFan
29 minutes ago, easy44 said:

i was reading info on sizing Cummins generators and they say that underloading is a bigger problem than overloading.  The generator should run at a minimum of 30% of its capacity.  Less than that will eventually damage the engine by glazing the cylinder walls.  Also, ideally a generator should be running at 80% of capacity for best overall performance.  In some applications, like a largish boat, with periods of varying power needs, you are better off having one large and one small generator, and switching depending on the load.

This goes against what some believe, that the lesser the load, the longer the life.  Of course this is related to big diesel generators, but I have have to believe it is relevant to smaller units also.

You definitely want some load on it., especially if it is a diesel. Pauls is running about 40- 50% which is perfect on a gas honda. 

I have run mine at 70-80% or more many, many times so there is that...I do change my oil quite often. No oil filter required and about a pint of oil. easy peasy.

Edited by PhilsFan
  • Like 2
oztony
7 hours ago, shadow said:

If you bought a truck to pull your RV trailer, would you buy one with 60 horsepower? It will pull the trailer, but will be wide open throttle all the time. When you hit a hill, well, how do you suppose that will pan out?  

Or would you buy a truck with 300 horse, which will easily pull the trailer without having to run at wide open throttle?

Think pulling power, not speed.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/watt-meter-current-voltage-power-analyzer-130a-intl-1108061.html?gclid=COyYmpC289QCFZWVvQodAykMbw&s_kwcid=AL!3151!3!110876143134!b!!g!!&utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem_non_brand&utm_campaign=[SDS-120000000000-00000-00000-0]: Other SKU Motors&utm_content=&utm_term=[SDS-120000000000-00000-00000-0]: Motors_xxpo0000000at1200_c_dsa-211745948694&adjust_tracker=t2v78t_5n20iw&adjust_campaign=625374434&adjust_adgroup=30814647774&adjust_creative=_b&adjust_label={"ClientID":"187-677-8753"}&adjust_tracker_limit=100000&ef_id=VqTQ2gAAAbT4QUQ9:20170706004153:s

Ikaw moro kaayu dong .....:D

Off-the-grid they do also in Alaska N of Arctic Cycle. Should be much more easy here. Check: BBCearth Life Below Zero http://www.bbcnordic.com/shows/life-below-zero/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Below_Zero

On the other hand they harvest salmon, caribou, moose, muskox...Well, looks like they shoot anything that moves in there. And eat it.