I'd like to be completely off the grid

• Admin (Retired)
broden
7 minutes ago, shadow said:

Here ya go, only for you;

Image result for nipa hut

how lives there ? the howells or the professor?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• shadow

• PhilsFan

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Celestial Being, It doesn't work that way. Well, it can. But, you would end up running over in costs, or possibly worse, under - what you need to purchase to power your home. Firstly, you start

If that is the case the other posters may be steering you in the wrong direction.  You do not necessarily need solar or wind or batteries. Try to find a good size pool of water about 30 or more m

A boat...

Posted Images

shadow
Just now, broden said:

how lives there ? the howells or the professor?

Yes, How lives there.

• Like 1
Kreole
2 hours ago, Paul said:

@Kreole, you will not find a better deal than this. Whole house and then some.

Thanks, Paul for the information.  I am still moving to first base, so i will have to think about it.  I like the fact that it is LPG.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
14 minutes ago, Kreole said:

i will have to think about it

To emphasize what others have said, good deals go super fast in the expat community.  If has not sold super fast then its not a good deal.  If you have to think about it you will lose it, or its not a good deal and you won't want it.

Example:  I waited 3 years to find an old car that runs good and was selling for a decent price.  When I found one, I said yes in 30 seconds.  There were already a string of people writing down the contact number in the window.  (I've been there and done that and the good deals are sold by the time you get home and call or text.)  

• Like 1
HongKongPhooey

This article seems to make the argument that there is potential future income to be made by remaining on grid and feeding your excess; so why not remain connected even if you can go off?

Full article: http://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/2017/06/27/solar-power-industry-philippines.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

Extract: 

Solar Power Net Metering Regulations

Another Philippine milestone in the development of solar power using a Photo Voltaic (PV) system was in July 2013, when the net metering regulations and interconnection standards were released by the Philippine Energy Regulatory Commission, and went into effect on July 25, 2013.  This was the first mechanism prescribed in the Philippine Renewable Energy Law that was initially passed in 2008.  This law now legalizes, and thereby opens up the whole market of solar roof-top panels below 100KW in areas that are on-grid in the Philippines.

It is also understood that the net metering market has the highest potential in the country.  This is in contrast to the Feed-in-Tariff (FiT) regime which currently targets only 50MW; there is no target for the net metering market. Following the release of these net metering rules, there has been a marked increase in activities in the industry, and it is expected that this development will only accelerate, as more customers take advantage of the rules and install roof-top solar panels.

The power utility companies in the Philippines, who are responsible for power distribution, have been instrumental in developing the rules and standards to assure safety and stability of the distribution grid. It is the responsibility of these power companies to ensure that the rules are followed, and to also ensure that all customers of good standing, now have the opportunity to be interconnected to the grid, through roof-top solar panels.

These regulations stipulate that there is no subsidy involved.  The customer receives a credit based on the KWh of electricity exported after self-consumption, and the average cost of generation to the Distribution Utility (DU) for the month.  These rules will therefore shape that the size of the roof-top solar panels, must be in line with the maximum consumption of the residential or commercial customer, as the credit for exporting electricity to the DU is much lower than the savings through self-consumption.

Another important part of the rules is the interconnection standards.  They describe in detail the technical aspects of connecting a roof-top solar panel to a distribution grid.  There has also been international support, mainly from Germany through GIZ Gmbh, in the context of the renewables initiative that has supported the development of the interconnection standards with workshops, seminars and expert advice.  GIZ have produced a report “Manual for Interconnection – a report for supporting the interconnection of rooftop PV systems in the Philippines”.  This includes an analysis of the low and medium voltage distribution grids in the Philippines, the net metering rules, the interconnection standards, and the sizing of solar panels for roof-tops.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, HongKongPhooey said:

This article seems to make the argument that there is potential future income to be made by remaining on grid and feeding your excess; so why not remain connected even if you can go off?

If you are asking seriously, you need to talk to someone who installs the systems and has been doing so for a while.  Brian in Dumaguete comes to mind.  As I recall our discussion, the electric company buys your power at wholesale prices and in addition there is a charge for 'net metering' plus the capital cost and wear and tear on your equipment.  He explained to me that it is not economically feasible to make "income" from selling to the Philippine power company but remaining on grid while solar units supply your personal consumption needs is brilliant, provided your consumption is high enough to justify the cost and headaches.

So if someone who makes a living off installing these things tells me its not feasible and suggests I do not spend my money, I tend to take my Internet larnin' with a few grains of salt.

• Like 1
shadow
2 hours ago, Kreole said:

Thanks, Paul for the information.  I am still moving to first base, so i will have to think about it.  I like the fact that it is LPG.

I doubt very seriously this deal will last more than a day or two.

• Like 1
Semper paratus
2 hours ago, shadow said:

I doubt very seriously this deal will last more than a day or two.

This guy first advertised it about 2 months ago on DI and he still has it. That's a tad more than a day or two.  Have you checked into how much fuel it burns an hour ? It might be a good genset if you can afford to feed it. If you have the money to keep it in fuel, go for it. Do you know of anyone that can service it if it has a problem ? Or even buy something simple for it like a new oil filter ? All I am saying is look before you leap. I owned similar units in the U.S..  What is nice is they start automatically and shut down automatically when not needed.

See this for fuel consumption.

https://assurancepower.com/aps-blog/entry/generac-home-generator-fuel-consumption

• Like 1
shadow
7 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

This guy first advertised it about 2 months ago on DI and he still has it. That's a tad more than a day or two.  Have you checked into how much fuel it burns an hour ? It might be a good genset if you can afford to feed it. If you have the money to keep it in fuel, go for it. Do you know of anyone that can service it if it has a problem ? Or even buy something simple for it like a new oil filter ? All I am saying is look before you leap. I owned similar units in the U.S..  What is nice is they start automatically and shut down automatically when not needed.

https://assurancepower.com/aps-blog/entry/generac-home-generator-fuel-consumption

Good points, looks like it would cost about P70 per hour at one quarter load (5000 watts) to run it, just about the same as it costs me to run my China 17 KW diesel under similar load, and less than the Honda eu3000i at full load of 3000 watts. Does not seem very expensive at all in comparison.

Servicing and parts would not be an issue for me, as I used to teach small engine classes and perform technician update seminars for B&S, Tecumseh, Kohler, Generac, and more throughout Wyoming and Montana, nor would parts be a problem for me, but for others these are very valid points.

DI is not a very good place to advertise, it just took me several minutes to find it on the site knowing it was there. The new format is not very classifieds friendly. If I had the money to throw at it, and was looking for a genset, I definitely would.

• Like 1
AlwaysRt
2 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Big difference between "hey I have this generator I think I am going to sell but have no idea how much to ask" and "hey I am selling this generator for p56,000 which is p200,000 discount from new"

• Like 2
Paul
4 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

This guy first advertised it about 2 months ago on DI and he still has it.

Someone is definitely missing a hell of a deal.

• Like 1
AlwaysRt
3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I was going to jump on it back when he first mentioned it. After researching, any offer I was able to make would be an insult. Now that he has priced it for less that I thought would be insulting it is probably the deal of the year at least. Fixed income + wayyyyy over what my energy requirements are means no matter how much I would like to have it, I can't fiscally justify the expense. Someone is going to be very happy and very lucky to have it though.

• Like 2
Paul
5 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Have you checked into how much fuel it burns an hour ? It might be a good genset if you can afford to feed it. If you have the money to keep it in fuel, go for it.

These gensets, shy of a natural disaster occurring, will only be running up to a couple hours per day, during most power cuts. It isn't like they will be running 24/7/365. 

• Like 1
Paul
56 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

wayyyyy over what my energy requirements

I can appreciate this. However, keep in mind that, if you ever do buy a generator, you don't want to run it under a full load. Under a 50% load would be great, with 25% load being the best case scenario. 

When I first looked at Honda EU20i's for the apartment and farm, I knew my draw would typically be no more than about 600 watts, at any time. So far, I haven't gone beyond that. And, I have been quite happy with the performance. 

• Like 1
Enuff
1 hour ago, Paul said:

After further thought, I find it impossible that they don't need it and have never had a chance to use it

if it's been for sale for 2 months there is definitely an issue, possibly why he didn't post actual pictures

• Like 2