I'd like to be completely off the grid

Celestial Being
On 17/06/2017 at 3:47 PM, SkyMan said:

A small genset would also work.  The grid-tied microinverters will supply whatever power they are supplied with (within reason) so when there's a blackout they supply nothing because they receive nothing.  But in that situation, you can turn off the mains breaker and on the off-grid power breaker connected to a genset or a battery powered inverter, and if there's sun you grid-tied solar would augment the alternate power source.

I have a 6kw Gen set for the house to power up my incubators when theres a power outage but man that thing drink so much petrol. Well maybe because the whole house was using it too I had 2 incubators running at 500w each the AC was running including all the appliances in the house

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• shadow

• PhilsFan

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Celestial Being, It doesn't work that way. Well, it can. But, you would end up running over in costs, or possibly worse, under - what you need to purchase to power your home. Firstly, you start

If that is the case the other posters may be steering you in the wrong direction.  You do not necessarily need solar or wind or batteries. Try to find a good size pool of water about 30 or more m

A boat...

Posted Images

A_Simple_Man
6 hours ago, Celestial Being said:

I like the idea very much but where I am planning to build the house, the whole town don't even have a river. We have to dig quite deep in the ground to get to the source of the water.

Well lets just play with the idea for a minute, just for fun.  I doubt you, or anyone, would go to this much trouble but this seems to me to be a totally renewable source of free energy, First look at this pic:

raccoon_mtn.jpg

Now picture this.  First, this is a commercial arrangement that is way more complex than a home system but look at the reservoir at the top.  That is your "potential energy storage pond".  You dig a hole and line it and let the rain fill it. BUT, in addition, you have a discharge pool at the bottom and a solar energy pump to send the water back up to the reservoir whenever the sun is shining.  Seems to me if you start with a large enough reservoir, get any amount of rain, and have enough sunny days to pump the discharge back up the hill, you would have a totally self contained and renewable and "green" energy system.  But as I said, its too much for me. just a bit of fun to play with the idea and it gets away from any batteries with heavy metals that will wear out in time.   Yes, the pumps and hydro-gen-set have moving parts that need maintenance but I would not expect that to be as expensive as buying and replacing batteries/

• Like 1
Oz Jon

Pumped hydro storage is a great idea.

A few places in the world do it very effectively on a big scale.

Very low running cost/kWh, but the killer is the capital cost.

I'd be amazed if a pumped hydro scheme was economically viable at a domestic (or even a small town) scale.

When Lithium-based batteries get a lot cheaper (probably in a year or so?) then battery-backed solar will get a big boost in viability and will probably be the small-scale "way to go".

• Like 1
Semper paratus

If you just want to try off-grid living for a while to see how you like it, then just come to the  Dumaguete area for a while. We are off-grid quite often, like it or not.

• Like 4
shadow
3 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

If you just want to try off-grid living for a while to see how you like it, then just come to the  Dumaguete area for a while. We are off-grid quite often, like it or not.

For your information, I am never "off grid".

I'm always connected the grid, the grid just has no power!

Often.

• Like 2
angbumabasa
34 minutes ago, shadow said:

For your information, I am never "off grid".

I'm always connected the grid, the grid just has no power!

Often.

Same here but mostly on Saturdays.

SkyMan
On 6/17/2017 at 1:44 PM, PhilsFan said:

Personally, I would wait about 2 more years for a storage solution. prices should be around 3-4k USD for a smaller home by then utilizing Lithium batteries instead of the Lead-acid.

But how much will spend in the mean time waiting?  Or you could spend that $3-4K for a grid tied system now and then go off-grid when the battery price drops.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
shadow

This is a very nice generator for sale in Duma, at a very good price.

Note: I am not connected to this unit or the person selling it in any way, I just stumbled across the ad and remembered this thread, and thought it would be a good opportunity for someone.

https://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/showcase/generac-generator-lpg-20-kw.300/

• Like 1
Enuff
11 minutes ago, shadow said:

Note: I am not connected to this unit or the person selling it in any way, I just stumbled across the ad and remembered this thread, and thought it would be a good opportunity for someone.

how much are you selling for?

reason for selling?

what is your lowest lowest price?

Will you finance?

can I come look at it in August when I get paid p8000?

• Like 4
Paul
31 minutes ago, shadow said:

@Kreole, you will not find a better deal than this. Whole house and then some.

• Like 2
Enuff
28 minutes ago, Paul said:

@Kreole, you will not find a better deal than this. Whole house and then some.

my only concern is that they didn't include a picture, how hard is that?

Paul
5 minutes ago, Enuff said:

I figure he won't have time to add a photo. If it isn't sold today, all those FBI agents, CIA operatives, and Navy SEALS are not online, in Dumaguete. That is a perfect whole house genset. The average home in the Philippines will not overload it. I figure most will probably load it to about 50%, which is perfect. 

• Like 2
shadow
8 minutes ago, Enuff said:

Here ya go, only for you;

Image result for nipa hut

shadow
1 minute ago, Paul said:

I figure he won't have time to add a photo. If it isn't sold today, all those FBI agents, CIA operatives, and Navy SEALS are not online, in Dumaguete. That is a perfect whole house genset. The average home in the Philippines will not overload it. I figure most will probably load it to about 50%, which is perfect. 

I would also add, very quiet and economical to run. Generacs are a very nice genset.

Davaoeno
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

If that sucker was closer than Dumaguete it would already be sitting on a truck on its way to my house !! 

• Like 1