• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• shadow

• PhilsFan

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Celestial Being, It doesn't work that way. Well, it can. But, you would end up running over in costs, or possibly worse, under - what you need to purchase to power your home. Firstly, you start

If that is the case the other posters may be steering you in the wrong direction.  You do not necessarily need solar or wind or batteries. Try to find a good size pool of water about 30 or more m

A boat...

Posted Images

Paul
2 hours ago, Celestial Being said:

I'd like to be completely off the grid
What do you guys recommend for storage

@Celestial Being, It doesn't work that way. Well, it can. But, you would end up running over in costs, or possibly worse, under - what you need to purchase to power your home.

Firstly, you start by killing loads you don't need - conserving. 
Secondly, you determine which loads are necessary, and which are not, for being off-grid. 
Thirdly, you calculate the watts each appliance / load draws and how many hours you want (need) to run each load, on a daily basis. This is called the watt hours. Watts X Hours Run = Watt Hours.

From there, you calculate the battery bank (storage) you need, and the solar array size necessary to charge said battery bank.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 9
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Thirdly, you calculate the watts each appliance / load draws and how many hours you want (need) to run each load, on a daily basis. This is called the watt hours. Watts X Hours Run = Watt Hours.

I've thought about this and the actual use of various appliances and I really can't see it as very accurate do to all the estimating and the fact that on some days you might use one appliance a lot while other days never turn it on.  A laser printer uses a lot of power but most of the month mine isn't plugged in but maybe my wife has a report due for school and it's running a lot scanning and then printing stuff.  Going around measuring each appliance would also be a PITA.  

Seems to me it would be far easier and more real world to go by average use for your last few electric bills.  Before I started any solar I was averaging about 9.575KWH/day use.  So to go off grid I'd want batteries capable of delivering about 3 days worth of power or 30KWH and enough panels to produce 12-15KWH/day.  I don't know how much battery storage you'd need for 30KWH.  With a usage like mine, those panels would recharge the batteries to full in about 10 days if the batteries ever fully depleted.

One thing to consider is do you want to go entirely off-grid (as in no grid connection at all) or is having the grid as backup ok?  I look at my VECO bill and I see that almost all the charges on it are a per KWH charge.  The only exception is the "metering charge" which has a per KWH component and a monthly p5.  So I think if my use was zero my bill would only be p5.  That's a pretty small price to be able to turn the grid on if your batteries ran low or needed replacing etc.  With the grid as backup you could go with less batteries.

• Like 1
RogerDat

The trouble setting up and maintaining the equipment and batteries for off grid would leave little time to enjoy the P4000 you would save each month. That is assuming you know how to do the calculations, and estimates of load size needed.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
8 hours ago, Celestial Being said:

I'd like to be completely off the grid
What do you guys recommend for storage

A boat...:P

• Like 4
RogerDat

Then he would need a dock, a sewer connection, and a permit to live on it, UNLESS, he did not put in the water, and just rented a lot.

shadow
19 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

Then he would need a dock, a sewer connection, and a permit to live on it, UNLESS, he did not put in the water, and just rented a lot.

Try telling the 40 or so yaughties living on their boats in Tambobo Bay that. I don't think they will listen, as they have been living there forever, but you can tell them anyway.

https://readtiger.com/https/en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Siaton

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
12 minutes ago, shadow said:

Try telling the 40 or so yaughties living on their boats in Tambobo Bay that. I don't think they will listen, as they have been living there forever, but you can tell them anyway.

bonharbor1-700.jpg

I would call them pretty much off the grid...

• Like 2
Paul
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Seems to me it would be far easier and more real world to go by average use for your last few electric bills.

That would be fine. However, most people tend to become more mindful of electricity usage, when off-grid.

RogerDat

if they have no dock, where does the beer and girls come from? I can imagine the toilet's the bay. if You look in the upper left side, you will see the dock.

• Like 1

most likely they have chemical toilets and they dump it at night, ..

Celestial Being
4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

A boat...:P

Just a house in the mountain

shadow
3 hours ago, RogerDat said:

if they have no dock, where does the beer and girls come from? I can imagine the toilet's the bay. if You look in the upper left side, you will see the dock.

The dock belongs to a local restaurant, there are no facilities there for the yachties, other than a place to tie up (a dingy) in order to get a bite to eat.

Edited by shadow
Paul
8 hours ago, RogerDat said:

The trouble setting up and maintaining the equipment and batteries for off grid would leave little time to enjoy the P4000 you would save each month. That is assuming you know how to do the calculations, and estimates of load size needed.

Not exactly correct. Even maintaining flooded lead acid batteries is only a once per month thing. Check the water levels monthly. 

As far as doing the calculations for one to go off-grid, one can find all sort of assistance online and off, to help them determine what they need for their power requirements. 

• Like 1
SkyMan
7 hours ago, Paul said:

That would be fine. However, most people tend to become more mindful of electricity usage, when off-grid.

I would think the opposite would be true.  In fact, that is sort of my goal with solar, to not have to be mindful of every light that's on or if DC transformers are left plugged in or whatever.  With a sufficient solar I don't have to be as anal about every electron in the room. :)

It good to conserve and not be wasteful but if I had to squeeze down my use in order to fit within my solar capabilities then I would increase my capability or wouldn't even do it at all.