Sign in to follow this  
nothingbutquestions

Humane airline to fly my dog from FL to Cebu

nothingbutquestions

Need current info on bringing my 25lb terrier with me from FL to Cebu. Anyone who has experience bringing their dog with them or abandoning the project as hopeless please share your experiences. I am traveling alone. What can I do to lessen the trauma to both myself and my dog? I do not not want to give her up unless that is the best thing for her. I looked into a passenger cargo ship, but they do not allow dogs at sea. It appears flying is the only way. Hearing about your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Soarking

I am currently checking on what needs to be done to bring my dog from Cebu back to the US.  From everything I gathered so far it will not be that difficult.  The vet I am working with told me that the testing for rabies is no longer required as long as you have records that the dog has been vaccinated more than 30 days prior to the travel.  And you need a health certificate from an authorized vet.  

As far as flying, IF the dog is under a certain size, (I don't know the exact weight, is well behaved and in a TSA approved carrier for the entire flght, (you cannot take it out) they can be in the main cabin on some airlines.   My dog is a small min-pin under 5 lbs. so no problem there.   I plan on going back in late June or July, so I'll know more soon.

if your planning on bringing your dog here I hope it's a total indoor dog.  Otherwise I really don't think your doing it any favors.   It bothers me seeing all the dogs here with mange and limping on three legs.  And even if it is an indoor dog the heat is hard on them.   Houses are not air conditioned here like in the US.    I know how people can be attached to their dogs,   I'm one of them.    But you may want to consider finding it a good home there and if you want a dog here, get it here.

• Like 1

musicman666

• Like 1

Soarking
26 minutes ago, nothingbutquestions said:

I looked into a passenger cargo ship, but they do not allow dogs at sea.

Do they still have ships taking passengers across the Pacific Ocean?   Never thought about it, but that may be a relaxing way to make the trip over.  I would think the cost would be considerable higher than flying with meals, a cabin and all.    

And I'm not talking the big grey boats that Uncle Sam has gong back and forth,   Been there,,,,, done that.

Mr. Mike

This is tricky business. Unless your pet can fly in the main cabin with aircon, I would not risk transporting it in the cargo hold for all of those hours. No food, water, potty breaks etc  To say nothing of the possibility of the aircraft sitting on the tarmac for extended periods of time.

It's painful to give up a favorite pet, I know. Maybe a linc member can adopt it, and give it a good home.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Soarking
23 minutes ago, Mr. Mike said:

This is tricky business. Unless your pet can fly in the main cabin with aircon, I would not risk transporting it in the cargo hold for all of those hours. No food, water, potty breaks etc  To say nothing of the possibility of the aircraft sitting on the tarmac for extended periods of time.

It's painful to give up a favorite pet, I know. Maybe a linc member can adopt it, and give it a good home.

Good luck.

If she were not allowed in the main cabin with me I would not bring along.  Being her small size and extremely well behaved in her carrier, (not a barker or fussy, just sleeps) she would be in the main cabin or not at all.    I was also informed you are not allowed to give them any medication to make them sleep during the flight.   And hell, who would know if she were out of her carrier and sleeping on my lap half way across the ocean.   What would they do?  Throw her out the window?

• Like 1

T.S.
28 minutes ago, Soarking said:

And hell, who would know if she were out of her carrier and sleeping on my lap half way across the ocean.   What would they do?  Throw her out the window?

The won't throw her out the window, but they can have police meet you at the landing gate for failure to follow crewmember instructions.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

An international carrier may allow dogs in the passenger cabin, but I'm pretty sure you're out of luck with a Philippine's Carrier. My friend took his very small dog (Chihuahua) back to the USA on PAL. They told him no way, no how could he carry it in the passenger cabin.

There was no issue having it travel below deck and it was none the worse for wear. 

I've never heard that you can't drug your pet. In fact, how the hell would they even know if you had.

I've only seen pets in the pax cabin on domestic flights inside the USA. I've never seen one on an international flight.

ttmctoad

Brought 2 dogs from Japan to U.S. on MAC flight in '98. Total of about 32 hours from check-in to landing/baggage claim and both dogs came through it just fine. I doubt they enjoyed it, but neither did I. It was some extra hassle overall, but last time I checked life isn't all smooth sailing.

I wouldn't hesitate to take my dogs on a long flight. I flat-out love my dogs and would NEVER knowingly put them in danger nor would I leave them.

Dogs are shipped via air every day around the world.

My point of view might not be in line with others, but having been through it I'd do it again.

Anchors away brah!!

• Like 4

Monsoon
3 hours ago, nothingbutquestions said:

Need current info on bringing my 25lb terrier with me from FL to Cebu. Anyone who has experience bringing their dog with them or abandoning the project as hopeless please share your experiences. I am traveling alone. What can I do to lessen the trauma to both myself and my dog? I do not not want to give her up unless that is the best thing for her. I looked into a passenger cargo ship, but they do not allow dogs at sea. It appears flying is the only way. Hearing about your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I've had the (dis)pleasure of having dogs brought in both directions between the US and Phils. Used to be KLM had the most liberal cabin policy but it has been years since I investigated any of this. I suspect you are going to have problems finding an airline to approve an in-cabin transport for a dog that size. Most people are taking miniatures in the cabin with them. Routing is important, avoid HK. You might have luck (clears throat) declaring it as a service dog (clears throat). It seems every flight I am on these days has some Chihuahua wearing a service dog vest. 

I would start with Delta and call their reservations direct and discuss it with them. You won't be able to book this one online. 

Monsoon
3 hours ago, Soarking said:

From everything I gathered so far it will not be that difficult.

It is ironically easier to bring a dog into the US than to the Philippines. Go figure. 

• Like 2

Salty Dog
14 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

It is ironically easier to bring a dog into the US than to the Philippines. Go figure. 

That's been the experience of everyone I've ever known, to bring dogs into, or out of the PI.

enoonmai
7 hours ago, nothingbutquestions said:

Need current info on bringing my 25lb terrier with me from FL to Cebu. 

Brought a dog and a cat (on separate trips) from Cebu to Fl; Sept,‘16 for the dog, March this year for the cat. Since you are going the other way I won’t offer my experience getting them OUT of the Phils and INTO the US since it’s a whole different scenario but I can share some experience with the flying part.  

Took KAL both times connecting in Inchon and with American in DFW. The pet in-cabin weight limit with KAL is 11lbs which includes the cage so that’s not happening. Both pets flew in baggage and both did fine. Of course they might tell a different story but they survived with no apparent damage. We brought the dog in-cabin from DFW to Fl but no one but us knew it was even on there (small dog). It was overbooked and delayed so they rushed everybody on board. Terrible flight.

There are all kinds of breed restrictions with both cats and dogs so you will have to check with the airlines. I can tell you it’s much cheaper and easier if you don’t have a connecting flight with another carrier but coming from Fl I don’t think you have a choice. It seems like a big pain but it’s really not that bad. They do it every day. KAL is very pet-friendly, I would recommend them. Just do exactly what they tell you and you’ll be fine.

• Like 3

SkyMan

I would look at Korean Airlines.  I believe they accommodate dogs and fly direct to Cebu.  It would just be a little unnerving with the stopover in Korea.  Try to plan it so you aren't there at mealtime.

• Like 1

smokey

we used Korean airlines also tip in the cage put frozen water so the dog can drink while in flight ...get permit before leaving from Philippines be there when plan arrives  

A_Simple_Man

My friend does it back and forth about 3 times a year.  He is a very friendly guy and may be a member here.  I will post a pic from his Facebook page where he explains what he does.  I will not post his name and Facebook account as he gets asked ALL the time how he does it and gets very tired of explaining how he does it to people who say it cannot be done and don't want to do their own research.  The answers out out there.  This will get you started.

593231908246b_Howitsdone.jpg.6a298c021186289e599526b6c7b63d53.jpg

• Like 2

RogerDat

How did Salty dog get back?

• Like 2

Soarking
1 hour ago, RogerDat said:

How did Salty dog get back?

Either lied about his weight and convinced them he was under 11 lbs.,    Or rode in the cargo hold.   

I was thinking about sticking the dog under my shirt and telling them I'm pregnant.

• Like 1

samatm

@op Questions:

are you planning a permanent move to Phils?    

Can you provide a nice life here for you fido? 

Hve you been here before so you know the conditions here?

Do you have friends and loved ones that could provide a good home for you poochie

There are many kinds of dogs here that need homes.. too.  

nothingbutquestions

Yes, this is a permanent move. A nice life for my dog and myself is certainly the plan. I have lived on Cebu before, but the Cebu I knew may no longer exist.

We may have to travel to other islands to find our home.

Has anyone brought their dog to P.I. and wishes they had not?

Soarking

I did not bring my dog here,   I got her after I was already here about 6 months with intent on bringing her back to the US when I return later this year.  However I do know the pros and cons of having her here.

You really need to think if you are really giving the dog a "nicer" life by bringing it here.  Is it an indoor or outdoor dog, or both?  If it's an indoor only dog you need to remember that houses are not air conditioned over here like in Florida and the heat is hard on them.   Even keeping one room air conditioned for the dog would be expensive being nothing is insulated.   And that's not much oh a life for a dog.

Distemper is ramped over here as is rabies, (carried by a lot of the rats).  One of my landladies dog came down with distemper a couple week or so ago and they finally decided to put it down today after two weeks of  suffering, (going paralized, blind sick constantly). And distemper is a highly contagious disease.

Although  I find more and more Filipinos now seem to have pet dogs than I noticed in the past, still not to the degree that people do in the US.  And most don't like the idea of an indoor dog.  To them all dogs belong outside.  

I'm sure your attached to your dog however it may be a selfish idea that it will be a nicer life here for it.   Espically with you moving here, going around looking for your permanent home.  I'm not sure if hotels and pension houses will accept dogs especially with you out running around most of the day..   I do know you need to get a permit of some kind to bring them on the boats going to different islands.  Not sure if you can bring them on the domestic flights but that could be hot and fatal.

iIt's a hard decision but if you really want to bring it over you may want to consider coming alone first, get established then go back and get her or have her shipped.   Time will probably change your mind.  Good luck in whatever you decide.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Soarking said:

Not sure if you can bring them on the domestic flights but that could be hot and fatal.

That's why I suggested KAL as they fly direct to Cebu so no domestic flight to deal with.  Cathay Pacific would also be a good choice if they are pet friendly.  Those airlines that specifically accept pets have climate controlled areas in the cargo hold.  If you must fly in to Manila I would not bring them to Cebu by air but take a ferry.  You aren't allowed to bring them in the cabin but you can go down to visit them in the cargo area.  I was originally going to bring my dog here. I bought a big carrier and was looking into it.  I left him with my daughter and moved.  Then I decided the place I was living wouldn't be good for him.  A year later I moved to a good place so I asked about him and my daughter had grown attached so I figured if he was happy there better to leave him.