Sign in to follow this  
Goetz1965

Can anyone recommend a MacBook Repairshop in Cebu ?

Goetz1965

I need the battery of my MacBook Pro Retina Mid2012 replaced.
Apple does this for 199$ plus Tax - so thats what it should cost here in Cebu too.

I was at iStore - 12K but they will send my MacBook to Singapore for that - 2-3 weeks without it.
I asked 2 other Dealers that are listed on Apples Service Center website - around 13K too but both will first check if my MacBook is eglible for replacment (otherwise its 32K+php) and also need 20+ days for repair.

I cant think to be without my computer for 3 weeks - so I need a recommendation for a MacBook Pro repairshop.
PLEASE DONT tell me where you got your iPhone battery exchanged as a MacBook is a different kind of thing !!!

Monsoon

I had a screen replaced on a Macbook pro Retina Mid 2014 15" under warranty while in the Philippines about a year ago. I had to grin and bear it and just wait it out. Despite being Apple authorized they are still run the Filipino way. 

I would stick with dealing only with authorized Apple service centers. All of which you can find on the Apple site. Everything is controlled out of Singapore (parts etc). I was in touch with Singapore a few times over the course of that incident. 

Unfortunately there is no hidden gem, at least not that I could find. Supposedly mine was 'expedited' and still took a few weeks.  

cogon88
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

I need the battery of my MacBook Pro Retina Mid2012 replaced.
Apple does this for 199$ plus Tax - so thats what it should cost here in Cebu too.

I was at iStore - 12K but they will send my MacBook to Singapore for that - 2-3 weeks without it.
I asked 2 other Dealers that are listed on Apples Service Center website - around 13K too but both will first check if my MacBook is eglible for replacment (otherwise its 32K+php) and also need 20+ days for repair.

I cant think to be without my computer for 3 weeks - so I need a recommendation for a MacBook Pro repairshop.
PLEASE DONT tell me where you got your iPhone battery exchanged as a MacBook is a different kind of thing !!!

I just had batteries and speaker replaced in My Back Book Pro 2013 unit I took the kids to disney land in Hk I went to the computer center in Wanchai right next to the MTR station it took them around 2 hours to replace speaker and the battery also cleaned and serviced key board and fans cost was 150 USD 

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Sure I just fly to HongKong ... Get me an exit clearance first - spend money for the tickets and the hotel ... :-(

Davaoeno
35 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Sure I just fly to HongKong ... Get me an exit clearance first - spend money for the tickets and the hotel ... :-(

People are trying to help you by giving you options. Its up to you to decide which option you chose.  Be thankful that people care enough to answer you

Kreole

I am afraid you are at the mercy of the Apple Philippines, which, as stated before, has no parts warehouse in all of the Philippines.  That alone should give you pause for concern.  I have had (2) dealings with iStore in Cebu, the first of which was not good.  The first experience was about 6 years ago when they disregarded my specific instructions NOT to enter my personal account to do the repair.  I created a special repair account just for the purpose and gave them the password, and they went through my personal account anyway.  I had a fit.  

There was absolutely no excuse since everything they needed to do (replace audio) was accessible through the repair account.  I told the manager to write out and sign everything they did including bypassing my personal password to get into my account.  I told him that if anything goes amiss, I will notify Apple international have have their license revoked.  Then, I had to change the password to every account I had which took some time.

In 2014 was the second time I went to the iStore and they had changed repair contractors.  I had a 13" MacBook Air, i7. that had a "known" problem which was under warranty.  However, the part that they wanted to replace happened to be the very same part that had had the issue, so I was not happy with that.  It was not even a year old and I had a 3 year warranty.  It always pays to pay the extended warranty for the additional 2 years and actually helps your laptop to retain value.  

Anyway, I was put in touch with the manager in Singapore who said they understood my concern so would just replace my laptop.  However, my MBA had a custom configuration they did not stock for Asia, so he did me one better and gave me a new 2014 MacBook Pro 15", i7 with Retina display and additional memory and a higher grade components.  It took about 1 month for all of the arrangements to be made, which, I felt was well worth the upgrade although I did not have access to any of my personal information.  I always have current backup, but they do not give loaners, so I was out for the month.  Moreover, I had to buy a completely new extended warranty for $280+ since the MBA warranty could not be transferred.   All in all, not a bad outcome.  Now that I have experienced the 15" Retina display I would not go back.  

Skywalker
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

I am afraid you are at the mercy of the Apple Philippines

No you're not.  There is nothing in an Apple product that doesn't have a generic (look it up) replacement part.

Being a prisoner to Apple is a state of mind, not a state of reality.  Smell the coffee.

• Like 1

Kreole
52 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

No you're not.  There is nothing in an Apple product that doesn't have a generic (look it up) replacement part.

Being a prisoner to Apple is a state of mind, not a state of reality.  Smell the coffee.

That is good to know.  However, my laptops have always been under warranty, so, I am at the mercy of Apple if I do not want to spend a lot of money for a part or repair.  Coming this October the 3rd year of my warranty will be up, so I would like to know more about a tech shop that is provides quality service and parts, generic, of course.  Any suggestions?

Davaoeno
Goetz1965

Just emailed with MCE in Mandaue and they told me that I can bring in my Macbook for the checkup to see if its for replacment - if yes I can order the part but take home my Macbook. When the part arrives about 20 days later I can bring in my MacBook for replacment - so no waiting more than necessary.
Will cost 13.180 in total but thats a fair price.

Kreole
2 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

Just emailed with MCE in Mandaue and they told me that I can bring in my Macbook for the checkup to see if its for replacment - if yes I can order the part but take home my Macbook. When the part arrives about 20 days later I can bring in my MacBook for replacment - so no waiting more than necessary.

Excellent news!  Hopefully, you can arrange to be present during the repair.

Kreole
2 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

Please give the contact information for MCE.  Salamat

Goetz1965

http://www.msi-ecs.com.ph

Adresse#3 Rosita's Compound, Ouano Avenue cor. Circumferential Road, Mandaue, Cebu City Philippines, 6014, Ouano Ave, Mandaue City, 6014 Cebu, Philippinen
Öffnungszeiten
Heute geöffnet · 08:30–18:30
Telefon: +63 32 345 9441

The adress isnt easy to spot for first time goers - its "behind" the Jollibee - so you must drive into the road that runs beside Jollibee.  The green square is the jollibee - the grey area is the compound but dont worry the roads continues there.
I enlarged the mapview to have it shown - the marker is at the correct position !!!

Was there at noon time - they checked my Mac for about 15 minutes then told me its good for replacment - I had to sign the order and now they will check the price. Part is already available - but they will send me the price via email then you need to make 50% downpayment first. 

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-02 um 14.57.12.jpg

Edited by Goetz1965

Goetz1965

NO RECOOENDATION FOR MSI-ECS in Cebu City !!

My MacBook has a bloated battery but is way out of warranty.
I asked them on may 31 by email if the can replace the battery and was quoted (see image below)

I didnt notice the terms and conditions pt. 2 - but as my email was sendMay 31 and the answer I got was also May 31 this is ridiculus !

Ok, from the statement that its 11.500 plus labour if Im qualified I went to their branch to have my MacBook checked - that happened in June - the technician told me that Im qualified and so I signed a collection order - they told me item is in stock and I started waiting - as they told me to txt me when I can bring in my MacBook for the exchange.
Yesterday now I asked about the status for this - and instead of telling me a date they send me 2 quotations for my repair - one telling me the Stock price again and the 2nd telling me the new exchange price of now 24.357 plus labour - ending up to 27.280php !

So I asked them to sort this out as my first quotation was for 11.500 only - and their answer was just pt.2 of the terms and conditions - LOL

Maybe they noticed that Im american when I was at their branch ?

I just told them now - that Apples official price is just 199$ plus Tax - and that I will inform Apple about this case - dont think that a company that is doing this kind of business by scamming customers shouldnt be allowed to be "official partner" of Apple !

image001.png

Skywalker

I just dropped off my iPad air tablet at the repair place in Ayala Mall.

They will replace the dead battery with a generic one (from Hong Kong) for 3,500 pesos inclusive of fitting.  Will take a week.

Apple offer no such service, they will only offer a part exchange on a new unit.  Ridiculous.  Which is why I am phasing out Apple and going over to Samsung.