Mindanao Residents a question for you...

Bill H

I'd like to go see family in Dipolog, but my in-laws are telling me all the foreigners have left.  I find that a little hard to believe because some of those guys built palaces there.  It was always common to run into an expat when I lived there for a little over two years,   I realize that was then, now we have martial law and some less than friendly folk running around causing problems.  So, how is it really?  Are there any Dipologites on the Forum?  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with feet on the ground experience there.

Thanks

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Sorry guy, I really don't know much about the area around Dipolog so anything I could tell you is conjecture.

• Like 1
lolhahaha

Considering what the family is saying I think it'd be best to wait a month or 3. I'm not there, never going to be there, just saying.

Davaoeno
21 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Sorry guy, I really don't know much about the area around Dipolog so anything I could tell you is conjecture.

Are there any other places that you dont know about ?

I have driven through Dipolog on my way from Manila to Davao several times- but not since martial law was announced.   However I find it strange that all of the foreigners would just leave town !!  In fact I find that impossible to believe !  I'm calling bs on this .

• Like 4
oztony

@Majorsco is just over a bit in Dapitan , spitting distance to Dipolog but has not posted for awhile ,

Been there quite awhile so would definitely have the best insight on that area than any one else here...

JamesMusslewhite
26 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Are there any other places that you dont know about ?

I have driven through Dipolog on my way from Manila to Davao several times- but not since martial law was announced.   However I find it strange that all of the foreigners would just leave town !!  In fact I find that impossible to believe !  I'm calling bs on this .

For the last few months I have rarely left this island other than a few days in Cebu are short trips into Surigao City. I have not traveled down South since last November. So if expats are leaving Dipolog I have no personal knowledge of this happening. This project here keeps me pretty focused on what's at hand here. It is even rare lately that I log onto the forum these days. 

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Paul
6 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I'm calling bs on this .

Second.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
10 minutes ago, Mike12 said:

Better think about being safe. 

I have always felt safe.  Even  more so  now that there are roadblocks and army and police in many more places

Edited by Paul
removed space
  • Like 2
Paul

Bob Ward was one of those idiots who was always talking about how unsafe Mindanao was, although he had only visited CDO. :D

I guess he wouldn't even visit CDO now.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Bob Ward was one of those idiots who was always talking about how unsafe Mindanao was, although he had only visited CDO. :D

I guess he wouldn't even visit CDO now.

I met Bob Ward in Davao . He came here to attend Markham's sons baptismal.  I didnt actually talk to him - he and Markham spent the whole night talking .  [ they ignored the wife and the kid !! lol ]

Paul
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

I met Bob Ward in Davao . He came here to attend Markham's sons baptismal.  I didnt actually talk to him - he and Markham spent the whole night talking .  [ they ignored the wife and the kid !! lol ]

Wow! I honestly can't believe it. The bitch boy went to Davao! :D

Doubtful that they are all gone. I'm not there though.

If I listened to my ex inlaws in the Philippines I never would have traveled anywhere around the country or even in Cebu City because it was so dangerous according to them.

Edited by T.S.
  • Like 2
Bill H

I think what they meant is they've all gone to ground.  They don't go out and walk around town like they used to.  I don't believe they've left because some of them have invested huge amounts of money in mansions near where we once lived.  I suspect they are just staying close to home and letting the wife or relatives take care of shopping and errands.  There was an expat group that met twice a week at one of the Chinese restaurants in town, but they always kept a low profile.  

Major, I knew pretty well, he got offended at some things people said about him and his comments and left the forum.  His inlaws own Dapitan and he lives a stone through from their huge ultraexpensive resort, so I doubt he is worried much.  He has their private security force and an Army special forces group to keep him safe.

My inlaws are in the fishing business and have quite a large presence in the public market and commercial fish basin.  They say you cannot gain entry to the market now without valid local ID and if the Pulis think there is any chance you're up to no good, you simply don't gain entrance.  They are also quick to arrest and haul the suspected person to jail and sort things out there.  At the risk of sounding like a big chicken, I'm going to sit this one out and stay in Cambodia.  The wife will do the visiting and I will worry about her while she is gone, but that is par for the course.

Thanks for all the comments.

Paul
46 minutes ago, Bill H said:

Major, I knew pretty well, he got offended at some things people said about him and his comments and left the forum.

What was his username?