Battery backup during brownouts

Kreole

I am exploring the option of using batteries for back up during brown outs which are frequent here on Siquijor island.  I have seen them used in the Dominican Republic and they seem to be quite adequate depending on the load and duration of the brownout.  Plus side is that they are easy to charge when there is electricity on, and they are quiet, and take up little space, are easy to install and set up, and batteries can always be added or subtracted depending on need.  Did I mention quiet and non-polluting? 

Down side is that you should only allocate power to the most necessary utilities and appliances, such as lights, refrigerator/freezer, fan, computer/accessories, and others that draw very low amount of current.  Running aircon is an extravagant use and will run the batteries dry in a short time.  You will need extension chords unless you pre-wire your house with the appropriate system to accommodate battery backup.  Any suggestions and experiences will be much appreciated.  Thanks ahead.  

Edited by Kreole
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• PhilsFan

• AlwaysRt

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just crank up my generator noise please  

I assume you decided against your genset idea, considering the last line of your first paragraph? If that is your only reason for not doing so - they are super quiet already, they sip petrol and have

My battery back up set up has been running since Aug last year. It supply's night lights, security lights, area and 1 street light using 12 volt LED bulbs. A US made battery charger, and a local 200 A

Posted Images

RogerDat

My battery back up set up has been running since Aug last year. It supply's night lights, security lights, area and 1 street light using 12 volt LED bulbs. A US made battery charger, and a local 200 AH golf cart battery. Look on forums for computer uninterruptible power supply. The post.

• Like 1
PhilsFan

This suggestion may be more than you want to spend, but Tesla is supposed to open in Manila this year or next. They have a 14kw Powerwall available for about US $5500. You could easily run a small A/C and other appliances with this set-up.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I was just looking at APC uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) the other day, but was thinking I never lose power so why waste the money.

If I really needed to access the internet in a blackout, we have smart phones and tablets with mobile data access.

Wouldn't you know it, I lost power for a second or two last night. My PC and my NAS weren't affected. In fact nothing was off long enough to even affect the clocks. However my modem/router was affected and it takes 1-2 minutes to reset itself. Of course with the router down, I couldn't access my NAS anyway because there was no network.

So maybe I'll give an uninterruptible power supply another look.

Just need to figure out my load for those devices I want to be connected to a UPS.

Edited by Salty Dog
Goetz1965

Its not only for brownouts - a backup battery also is good against the all time too much power on the lines - so it secures your equipment everyday.

• Like 1
RogerDat

I do not need my computer to be up all the time, so have no use of a UPC for a computer, but I thought the OP was talking about a general house supply for lights.

Having re read the OP, what you are trying to do is going to require a generator. Battery's will not normally run an AC, or a refrigerator without some massive battery's and inverter's. AC and refrigerator have a lock rotor amp on start yup that can be very high.

What I posted was for minimal security / kitchen / night lights.

• Like 1
Woolf
11 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

I do not need my computer to be up all the time, so have no use of a UPC for a computer, but I thought the OP was talking about a general house supply for lights.

Having re read the OP, what you are trying to do is going to require a generator. Battery's will not normally run an AC, or a refrigerator without some massive battery's and inverter's. AC and refrigerator have a lock rotor amp on start yup that can be very high.

What I posted was for minimal security / kitchen / night lights.

If you have an inverter refrigerator, you do not have the startup inrush current

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

I got smart one brownout and hooked a 1500 watt inverter to my truck battery.  I was able to watch my VCR on the TV (cable was out during the brown out), have the fan going, play on my computer  . . . all for about 20 minutes,  Then I had to start the truck as it was too much load for the battery.

So I would suspect a person would need some pretty heavy duty batteries to run 1500 watts continuously during a long brown out.  I saw a real nice, heavy duty, deep cycle battery for sale in one of the hardware shops for 20K pesos.  2 of them might do the job.

oztony
13 minutes ago, Woolf said:

If you have an inverter refrigerator, you do not have the startup inrush current

Same for a lot of AC units , they have what is referred to as a soft starter....

Edited by oztony
Davaoeno

When I was doing business in the Dominican Republic every worthwhile house had battery backup . Usually about 6 -8 batteries. They looked like deep cycle car batteries to me 

AlwaysRt
4 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I got smart one brownout and hooked a 1500 watt inverter to my truck battery.  I was able to watch my VCR on the TV (cable was out during the brown out), have the fan going, play on my computer  . . . all for about 20 minutes,  Then I had to start the truck as it was too much load for the battery.

So I would suspect a person would need some pretty heavy duty batteries to run 1500 watts continuously during a long brown out.  I saw a real nice, heavy duty, deep cycle battery for sale in one of the hardware shops for 20K pesos.  2 of them might do the job.

hmmm, I have a 650Va APC UPS I bought at Octagon. Have my laptop, 50" LED TV (monitor), and router plugged into it. I can continue watching a movie for about 10 minutes before I get the low battery alarm. I would have thought the truck battery would have lasted much longer.

A_Simple_Man
9 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I would have thought the truck battery would have lasted much longer.

The battery  was about 3 years old   so maybe not as good as a new one.  This proves that batteries just don't last in this climate with lots of use so maybe a small generator would be the better option.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 1
Woolf
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

So I would suspect a person would need some pretty heavy duty batteries to run 1500 watts continuously during a long brown out

1500 watt is 125 amp drawn from a 12 volt battery,

not many batteries will last long at that current

RogerDat

Seguro Marketing has 200AH golf cart deep cycle batteries for around P10,000 each.

They do not have a charger here that i could find that is automatic in operation. And Seguro  has no idea what charger is needed, nor does the battery company ( Motolite ) that supply them. As I say, unless you want to replace your appliances for anticipated brown out's on occasion, get a generator, diesel preferably.

Davaoeno

Dominican Republic Power Inverters and Solar Panels

Getting an AIMS Power inverter should definitely be on your to-do list if living in the Dominican Republic because backup power systems are so important if living on the island.

Dominican Republic electricity is 110 Vac 60 Hz, but power outages are common due to tropical weather and electrical systems that can be unpredictable. AIMS Power inverters, inverter chargers, solar panels and other electrical system products can create reliable sources of backup power that residents of Dominican Republic need for safety and peace of mind.

The government of Dominican Republic has made many strides regarding renewable energy, specifically in the solar industry, having implementedseveral tax benefits and exemptions specifically to Dominican Republic residents for the purchase of products that promote green energy.  

AIMS Power sells many of the items, such as solar panels, which make residents and business owners of Dominican Republic eligible for the tax breaks. But most importantly, we are here to help residents of Dominican Republic prepare themselves with reliable backup power systems that can handle the rough conditions of island life.

Having a backup system to power a water pump, for example, could be the difference between having a flooded home and a dry one during a powerful tropical storm or a hurricane. An inverter and battery bank powering a water pump could save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in the event of a storm strong enough to knock out electricity on the island. Still having the power needed to pump water out of your house could truly be priceless in a dire situation.

Most all AIMS Power inverters feature a conformal coating that will protect the products electrical boards from damage that can be caused by water and/or dust in the air. Another huge benefit for customers in Dominican Republic is the fact that AIMS Power inverter transformers are incredibly resilient to impact damage, which is comforting during the shipping process and in case accidents happen during install.

The AIMS Power 6000 watt solar inverter charger is perfect for handling nearly any job presented in Dominican Republic. 

6000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter Charger - 24 volt 120 / 240 Split Phase    Our price: $1399.00

AIMS Power inverters are practically bullet proof!  

http://www.aimscorp.net/Dominican_Republic_Power_Inverters_and_Solar_Panels.html

Batteries

AIMS Power offers an exclusive line of AGM deep cycle 12 volt batteries from Vision. AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) deep cycle batteries are sealed to reduce the risks of using them in your home or RV. AGM deep cycle batteries are practically maintenance free, making them more reliable and convenient for use with inverter chargers for use with an inverter charger. These solar batteries come in many different sizes and are available in Gel Cell and AGM. If your project requires deep cycle batteries, AIMS Power can supply you with the batteries you need for your project. We have many different batteries available to fit into any budget or project. Order yours today.

Edited by Davaoeno