Sign in to follow this  
rep1

custom wooden furniture guide?

rep1

will go for all solid wood furniture as others recommended last year. Any Philippines-specific guides for ordering here?

I understand I'll need to draw all the designs, but how do I:

1. Pick the wood? For large curved headboard? For heavy load like TV rack? humidity issue for indoor? (not bathroom)

2. Coloring? No painting would be great but how do they make it white or black?

3. Finish? I'm worried oil or varnish would be harmful. Can I use unfinished furniture? Need extra care for that?

4. Should I DIY for granite or stones to be placed on furniture? (just buy cut parts and glue?)

Alfred E. Neuman

1. Mahogany, Yakal, Kamagong..

2. Yakal

3.Mahogany

4.yes

• Like 1

RogerDat

Having planed and sanded yakal, I can say wear a good dust mask from 3M, (you should already have one of those), and you must drill it as it is too hard to nail,

Linseed oil makes a great finish, as does lemon oil. No idea where you can get it built in Cebu. here on Mactan, I use Allen's trading on Gaby Road, Cordova, they have built 2 beds for me. They deliver.

• Like 1

hyaku

Mostly germelina here. Needs to be seasoned otherwise joints open up. I only use clear polyurethane. The rest of the varnish is rubbish. I cut my own trees and found a decent carpenter for things like my PC double desk and tables. I always ask the chainsaw guys to cut me few slices width ways to make some of these.

SAM_2310.JPG

• Like 3

easy44
5 hours ago, hyaku said:

Mostly germelina here. Needs to be seasoned otherwise joints open up. I only use clear polyurethane. The rest of the varnish is rubbish. I cut my own trees and found a decent carpenter for things like my PC double desk and tables. I always ask the chainsaw guys to cut me few slices width ways to make some of these.

SAM_2310.JPG

Reminds me of the redwood burl tables.  They were beautiful!

• Like 3

rep1
8 hours ago, RogerDat said:

Having planed and sanded yakal, I can say wear a good dust mask from 3M, (you should already have one of those), and you must drill it as it is too hard to nail,

Linseed oil makes a great finish, as does lemon oil. No idea where you can get it built in Cebu. here on Mactan, I use Allen's trading on Gaby Road, Cordova, they have built 2 beds for me. They deliver.

I'll try Ferraren Furniture someone told me last year.

BTW how do they fix the cushions on sofa like this?

17353660_847675575370606_278675164709448

(not glue I hope!)

I suppose if above could work, I can ask them to build one armed mini version of this, looks quite simple:

sofa.jpg.7b424a86aa94523ba5d6330b5c735770.jpg

Supplyguy

This is one of my favorite chairs, it's called the "don shoemaker.".

IMG_0341.PNG

• Like 3

Mikala
9 hours ago, rep1 said:

I'll try Ferraren Furniture someone told me last year.

Do you plan to travel to the south end of Cebu island to look over some of their handiwork or just order it via internet?

RogerDat

BTW how do they fix the cushions on sofa like this? Just like a lot of woman, they just lay there.

• Like 1

rep1
16 hours ago, Mikala said:

Do you plan to travel to the south end of Cebu island to look over some of their handiwork or just order it via internet?

Yes of course. I also need to see wood types and the stained colors personally.

More questions:

1. How do I determine the thickness of top, bottom, side and interior panels? from my wardrobe is 2cm but it looks puny. need to get thicker for TV stand? (assume no gradient top)

2. To support the load, what can I do other than to add more interior panels or columns inside, both of which limit the interior space?

3. For a piece that's about 2m * 0.4m, is it a good idea to use flat bottom without any rubber/adjustable foot here?

I'm trying to design this:

Clipboard02.png.e5f4f75a62ce61ca488653d29ecefef9.png

center is for TV, speaker in front - bad position I know, maybe the slope can help output from behind? (the speaker is supposed to be at least half meter from wall...)